Milk Supply Boost-back to work soon..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 2 Post By nataliamw
  • 1 Post By MoonMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
Need some advice mamas!

So I head back to work in 3 weeks and I need to jump start a little supply for my daycare lady and MIL. I've got 4-6 twelve ounce bags in the deep freeze that will/need to be used but I always like to have a little in the fridge "just in case."

Advice, suggestions?

I feel like my supply had decreased a little since I've started on my BC. That, or she's just more efficient at emptying them out. Either way I need a little boost so I can pump some too.

Not sure of the best way to go about prepping this all before I head back...
January 10th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
My personal list for increasing production:

- Water, water water - Drink a full glass of water before pumping and a full glass after pumping - along with lots during the day

- Fenugreek & Blessed Thistle suppliments - I swear by these. In fact, they increase my production so much that I now avoid them because I can't afford to produce anymore at the moment.

- Heat - To help get more milk out during a pumping session - HOT shower works great or some form of heat pack/rice bag applied to the outside of the breast towards the arm pit.

- Lecithin (also called Soy Lecithin) - 3600 mg a day - makes the milk less "sticky" and helps it come out easier during pumping. This has helped me a lot especially since I kept getting milk stuck in there and hurting.

- Chest Compressions/Massage - Pushing down and holding the pressure while pumping helps me get twice the amount of milk out as compared to just letting the pump do it all. I push down on the outside area by the armpit and just hold and then work my way around the breast and closer in to the nipple. I think it helps to look at a diagram of the milk ducts to get an idea of what you are pushing on.

- Letdown mode - Don't know what pump you have, but if it has a let down mode like the Medela pump, I sometimes run that mode twice in a row before letting it go to the main pump session. Also, during the pumping session, I will sometimes go back to the let-down mode and run it again. You can get multiple letdowns that way and it tells your body you need to be making more milk.
Cocoa Sashimi likes this.

Last edited by Leanne78; January 10th, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
January 10th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Super Mommy
wow, Leanne just knocked it out of the park so I don't have much to add on other than eating oats (the more natural version the better), barley, and staying on the pump a few minutes after the breast are completely emptied out.
Personal advice - pick a favorite thing to do that can be done during pumping so that it's easier to get yourself to sit down and do a session. I just started reading a really good book and pumping is really the only "down time" I have so I read a few pages which for one helps me not stress about the supply and two, allows me to enjoy the time I'm stuck wired to the pump. I hold both flanges with one arm, but I know there are bras one can buy to hold them in place and have hands free to do other things
MoonMom and Hopolka like this.
January 10th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gatorade and Guinness

January 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Wow, thanks ladies! Amber that sounds like an awesome list. I do have a Medela so I'll try the letdown thing.
January 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pump first thing in the morning starting on the side he didn't nurse on, that's when my supply is greatest. There are lactation cookie recipes you can look up, they have oats in them. Eating oatmeal and strangely, drinking OJ has worked for me in the past, as well as the mother's milk tea (which is fenugreek and some other beneficial herbs, taste is just okay IMO).

The other thing that helps is for me to clear my mind when I'm on the pump waiting for that initial letdown. Sometimes I get distracted thinking of all the stuff I have to do and I think that hinders my body's ability to just relax and do its thing. I put a picture of Roger in that little clear plastic sleeve on the pump and I just look at that and remember back to the first time I nursed him in the hospital and that really helps get the milk flowing
Hopolka likes this.

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 14th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMom View Post
The other thing that helps is for me to clear my mind when I'm on the pump waiting for that initial letdown. Sometimes I get distracted thinking of all the stuff I have to do and I think that hinders my body's ability to just relax and do its thing. I put a picture of Roger in that little clear plastic sleeve on the pump and I just look at that and remember back to the first time I nursed him in the hospital and that really helps get the milk flowing
It's funny you say that about your picture because I have an app on my phone where I added a picture of her to look at.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search