Breastfeeding Mommas & Fenugreek Supplements

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Shades of Grey
  • 2 Post By BrooklynBump
  • 1 Post By gardenbelle
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 09:00 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm continuing to take my prenatal obviously, but I'm also supplementing with Fenugreek. The problem is that every Fenugreek bottle says something different about what the recommended Fenugreek dosage is per day, and nothing specifically for the use of fenugreek while breastfeeding.
Does anyone have any recommended input on this? Right now I'm only taking one pill per day of fenugreek, but I feel like it's probably not enough, particularly since I'm sure that I took much more of it when I was BF #1.

January 11th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I take 2-3 pills 3 times a day
gardenbelle likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I'm taking a tincture of a blend of herbs that include fenugreek so I can't suggest a dosage but my lactation consultant told me the tincture is more effective than the pills. I'm not sure if its true or even if this stuff has anything more than a placebo effect but it sure tastes terrible. Like dirt water.

January 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM
What other herbs are in it? Im trying everything possible!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
January 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Goats rue, fenugreek, blessed thistle, nettle, fennel

It's called 'more milk special blend' from a company called ''Motherlove"

I'm about the last person to believe in this sort of stuff but it seems to have helped me get more of the white gold. Before I started taking it, I was only getting 20mls per pumping session. Within 2 days of taking it, I'm up to 40mls. Maybe that would have happened anyway but I have to assume the herbs helped.

January 11th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Nice. I just got another supplement that I havent started but its a mix of fenugreek, blessed thistle, nettle, fennel too.

January 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I'm drinking Mother's Milk Tea too - which has those other herbs in it (blessed thistle, nettle, fenugreek). It doesn't taste like dirt, but it does have a strong licorice flavor which takes some getting used to. Or at least it did for me, since I'm more of a strawberry twizzler person myself.

Sounds like I need to up my Fenugreek ante.

January 11th, 2013, 12:09 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ashleigh's regiment of pill taking is what is recommended, but I can't remember to take it. I'm lame, I know. It's all I can do to remember to take my thyroid med in the morning and my prenatals and fish oil at night so I just take 3 fennugreek pills along with my vitamins. If I remember, I'll take some in the afternoon too.
Maggie, I have some Mothers Milk tea and I cannot get used to that funky taste - and I like black licorice usually. Blech! More power to you for choking that stuff down.
MarlowesMum likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Hee...I used to hate it when I first started it, but after choking down the first box when I was nursing Marlowe, I fell hard. I was actually looking forward to starting it up again if you can believe it! Send your box-o-tea my way, Mary.
gardenbelle likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Ive been drinking the tea too. Its kinda hard to get used to. It says to drink3-5 times a day! Im lucky to do 2.

My pill regimen is crazy. I take fenugreek, prenatal, fish oil, dha, and reglan each morning. Then fenugreek, fish oil, and reglan again 3 (sometimes 2 because I forget) more times throughout the day.

January 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Somebody in the August PR said something about the mother's milk tea being counter productive. It was a discussion from this morning if you want to lurk there and see what they said.

Has anyone tried red raspberry leaf tea? I remember reading during pregnancy that it could help supply. I have a bunch left over and was going to give it a try.

January 11th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I took that stuff with my second one and all I know is that I walked around smelling like an IHOP and it didn't do squat. I'm so so bad about even taking my prenatals, more power to you ladies. I'm not a good "pumper" but I'm hoping that since I only have to be away a couple nights a week it won't be as much of an issue this time.

Daffney

January 11th, 2013, 03:03 PM
I can never remember to take my vitamins either - but pumping constantly reminds me to take the tincture.

January 11th, 2013, 04:46 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mary - you take thyroid medication? I was taking it during my pregnancy and was told I needed it, but I stopped taking it and feel normal.... what's up with your thyroid?
I am also getting good with one handed typing (not doing that right now though).

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!
January 12th, 2013, 04:37 PM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlowesMum View Post
I'm drinking Mother's Milk Tea too - which has those other herbs in it (blessed thistle, nettle, fenugreek). It doesn't taste like dirt, but it does have a strong licorice flavor which takes some getting used to. Or at least it did for me, since I'm more of a strawberry twizzler person myself.

Sounds like I need to up my Fenugreek ante.
Yes! that black licorice taste is hard to get through, especially if you don't like it! I have built up a tolerance to it now!

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

January 12th, 2013, 08:53 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina9809 View Post
Mary - you take thyroid medication? I was taking it during my pregnancy and was told I needed it, but I stopped taking it and feel normal.... what's up with your thyroid?
I am also getting good with one handed typing (not doing that right now though).
Nice on the one handed typing! I'm doing it right now as James lounges on the bobby drinking down booby milk like there is no tomorrow. As for the thyroid meds, I've had Hashimotos disease since I was 19 and take synthroid every day for it. So, you stopped taking your thyroid meds? I don't that should be much of a problem since you aren't pregnant anymore and there isn't the same risk of stillbirth and lowered IQ for the baby. Also, a lot of times, people who have thyroid issues get postpartum thyroiditis after a pregnancy (including myself) so stopping your meds may help? Definitely get tested though. I just had my first postpartum bloodwork and it's looking like I am already heading into PPT so my endocrinologist lowered my dosage. I hope it doesn't get too bad because I don't want my milk supply to tank! How long have you had thyroid issues or did it just come up during pregnancy?
January 13th, 2013, 07:26 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been taking 2 and 2 fenugreek goats rue 3 times daily and drinking Mother's milk tea 3-5 times daily. I also pump every 3 hours. I've seen only he smallest increase in my pumping output and we are still having to supplement with formula. I will be picking up my prescription for domperidone in Tuesday. It's been quite the process.

Little brother!
January 13th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Ive noticed an increase since starting the reglan. It says 2 pills 4 times a day but the side effects were hitting me too hard so i take 1 pill 3 times a day. Im trying to let it build up in my system for a week then increase to the prescribed dosage.

January 13th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I personally dont' mind the tea - as mentioned - so I guess it doesn't matter to me as much about whether it actually works. Honestly, if I had to guess, it's probably more about the liquid intake than it is about any of the other stuff in the tea. I drink more when I'm drinking the tea...hence my production is up.

January 14th, 2013, 08:05 AM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
Nice on the one handed typing! I'm doing it right now as James lounges on the bobby drinking down booby milk like there is no tomorrow. As for the thyroid meds, I've had Hashimotos disease since I was 19 and take synthroid every day for it. So, you stopped taking your thyroid meds? I don't that should be much of a problem since you aren't pregnant anymore and there isn't the same risk of stillbirth and lowered IQ for the baby. Also, a lot of times, people who have thyroid issues get postpartum thyroiditis after a pregnancy (including myself) so stopping your meds may help? Definitely get tested though. I just had my first postpartum bloodwork and it's looking like I am already heading into PPT so my endocrinologist lowered my dosage. I hope it doesn't get too bad because I don't want my milk supply to tank! How long have you had thyroid issues or did it just come up during pregnancy?
As far as I am concerned I have never had thyroid issues..... I guess the tests and the numbers say otherwise. I had multiple miscarriages and they came up with three things that might be my problem - the thyroid was one of them, so I took the thyroid medication as soon as I found out I was pregnant and i didn't have a miscarriage. I was also doing other things to prevent the miscarriage so we will never know what worked, if anything, or of he would have been born regardless - you know?

I don't really even know what is supposed to be wrong with my thyroid - just that I get tested and the TSH numbers are high, not too high, just a little higher than they should be. I think I was taking Levothyroxine or something like that....

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search