Protein shakes?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dhartanya
  • 1 Post By Dhartanya

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2013, 09:09 AM
The Truth is out There
I haven't been eating as well as I should be, most days I only end up eating dinner just because Baby has been really fussy lately and I can't seem to get around to making food.
I've been thinking of getting some protein powder to make shakes, is that safe while bf'ing? It would be so much easier on the days that I don't have time, to just make a quick shake and drink it while I go on about my day.

Any thoughts?

January 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Yup it's safe.
Throw some veggies and fruit together to get a tasty and healthy drink.

I personally find they taste a bit smoother if you make the shake the night before.
All the flavours blend together better.
May14th2011 likes this.

January 12th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I would so not do that! Many people are using protein powder(whey powder mixes) to be healthier and it's really messing up their kidneys as they can't process all of the extra protein. My brother ended up in ICU for this and he is young and healthy and not overweight or anything. Another guy I work with had the same thing happen only his is more severe and he has spent a bunch of time in ICU and tons of time out of work over the last couple of years. His kidneys are now screwed and will not recover. He's also in his early 20s and was healthy and even worked out often.

Maybe try some slimfast shakes/snackbars or buy some healthy snack foods to have on hand. Veggies, cheeses, healthy crackers, fruits, etc would be great.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

January 12th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I swear I'm not a senior citizen, but I used to drink ensure after one of my surgeries & it's pretty tasty

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

January 12th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Its so much healthier to make your own protien drinks/shakes...
Ever look at the ingredients in Ensure or Boost? Yucky!
Like Rebecca said, you can over do it. So make sure your not makin using too much. It'll be hard to over do it will one shake/drink a day.
I dont use Whey powder. Only Brown Rice protien powder or Hemp protien powder.
I also throw some fresh crushed flax, flax oil and coconut milk in mine for some extra goodness.

Also you can use less then the reccomendded amount on the container.
Ensure usually has about 10g of protien.
My shakes had 10 to 12gs of protien. So roughly the same, depending on how heaping my scoop was.
Gripstress likes this.

January 12th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Yes using as an additive to make an actual health shake is fine and healthy. Mixing up a straight protein drink every day(& possibly 2-3) is not okay. I figured you were referring to a health shake, Meghan, and not just a plain protein drink. And yeah those boost/ensure drinks are loaded with sugar and other garbage. They are meant to help someone who needs added calories due to not being able to gain weight or eat solids.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

January 12th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripstress View Post
Yes using as an additive to make an actual health shake is fine and healthy. Mixing up a straight protein drink every day(& possibly 2-3) is not okay. I figured you were referring to a health shake, Meghan, and not just a plain protein drink. And yeah those boost/ensure drinks are loaded with sugar and other garbage. They are meant to help someone who needs added calories due to not being able to gain weight or eat solids.
The protien powder I use can also just be mixed with water (or milk)... But eww lol I can't drink that stuff straight up.
Any protein powder I've seen will yield a drink between 8g and 14g of protien, no matter how you prepare it.
Do they make something higher in protien then that?! Cause that would be too much, so I could see the body having issues.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search