Oh crud...did I wait too long?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2013, 03:28 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Willa is NOT liking the bottle. Seriously.

I've tried to introduce one to her on several occasions now, and she is just not about it. I'm really hoping that this is just a temporary problem, but part of me is concerned that I haven't been diligent enough about it (I started earlier with DD1...at about 3 weeks) - and now we're going to have issues with getting her to accept it.

I don't have to return to work until 2/11 - so I've still got some time, but I'm also cognizant that the longer that I put this off...the harder it will be. I'm a taurus that married a taurus. We make stubborn children.

Any other EBF mommies having problems with introducing the bottle?

January 13th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hugs hugs! I know many families who deal with this particular issue, and it is very stressful for them.

Most babies seem to fall into one of two camps…..those who like bottle feeding to be as much like nursing as possible, and those who want it to be totally different from nursing. Some strategies for those are:

More like:

1. Holding baby and bottle in their normal nursing position

2. heating the milk to body temp

3. having something (usually a piece of clothing) that smells like mom where the baby can smell it during nursing sessions

4. trying the "bait and switch" technique of slipping the bottle into baby's mouth during a nursing session (I would urge a bit of caution with this one as it can be pretty stressful if used repeatedly with a hungry baby)

Less like:

1. playing with the temperature of the milk (ie seeing if colder milk is more appealing)

2. holding baby in a non-breastfeeding position - usually in an upright posture with baby's back against caregiver's chest. Caregiver should be standing and walking or bouncing in a rhythmic fashion (the rhythmic action can help to stimulate baby's sucking reflex).

3. being outside (or in any new environment that's not normally associated with nursing) when trying to give the bottle

Some things worth noting:

-It sounds like your nanny already tried to give a bottle when you weren't around, but many babies just will not take anything but mom if mom's around at all (even in the house)

-sleepy babies tend to suck more reflexively, so that may be a good time to try getting her to take the bottle

-Are you using frozen milk? some moms have an excess of an enzyme called lipase in their milk that could alter the taste significantly when frozen. It's always worth just double checking that it still tastes good after freezing (just take an aliquot of about an ounce, freeze it for 7 days, defrost as normal and smell/taste. If it smells soapy/rancid/metallic-y it's still safe to drink, but will be unpalatable to most babies. It should be scalded prior to freezing to inactivate the lipase: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/)

-some children have trouble dealing with the different flow of the milk from the bottle leading them to be a bit more disorganized with an artificial nipple. There's a technique called "Bottle-feeding as a tool to reinforce breastfeeding" that can help babies feel as in control of the flow as they are with nursing: http://www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf. It should also help the bottle nipple to reach far enough back into baby's mouth to stimulate her sucking reflex (mom's nipple will reach back to the juncture of the hard and soft palate which is where sucking is stimulated. If that spot is not reached, babies will have a much harder time figuring out the bottle nipple or breastfeeding).

-she could be fed by alternate methods such as a cup or syringe (cup feeding is usually easiest especially once baby & caregiver get the hang of it, and if baby's just having a lot of trouble with a traditional bottle, this may be an acceptable alternative: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/)

I know that this is a lot of information to throw at you, so feel free to pick and choose what you feel will work best for your daughter. I know that this is a really stressful situation to face, but lots of babies actually deal with it ok. They usually end up compensating by eating a ton when they're with mom, and then sleeping a lot when they're not with mom, and/or just taking in a tiny amount of milk (enough to just get by) until mom is back. It's known as reverse cycling, and it can be used to yours and baby's advantage if it works for your family: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling/.

Like I said, definitely pick the ideas that you feel will work for your family….these are just the basic ideas that I have not really knowing too much about your individual situation, and some will work better than others for any given baby. Feel free to call/email/text for more information with any given strategy and we can tailor things more for you guys.

Hi Robyn,

Yes, reverse cycling is very, very likely. It can be hard to adjust to, but I've known many babies who've done it and just never taken a bottle. She may end up sleeping more when you're not there and then just marathon nursing when you're together. Just being prepared for that is a huge head start. Some kind of co-sleeping arrangement can absolutely be the sanity saver for the working mama of a reverse cycler, that way you can ensure that you get the sleep you need to function. Another lifesaver can be a sling or wrap of some kind. If you can nurse her while she's in it, you'll still be able to function in the evening after work rather than feeling like you're stuck to the nursing nook or the bed.

The feeding tube is definitely worth a try. You can thread the tube through the nipple of a bottle. I would use a very cheap one, as it will widen the opening to the point where you wouldn't want to use it for direct bottle feeding, but it'll keep the milk from spilling and the tube will act as a straw. Your caregiver could wear a shirt with a pocket in it, and she could tuck the bottle into the pocket to free her hands for feeding. I would recommend warming the milk to simulate the temperature of milk directly from your breasts. Your caregiver would want to see which finger Olivia's most likely to suck on (some babies prefer the broad feel of a thumb), well-trimmed fingernail against her tongue, and then tape (placing the tape far enough away from Olivia's mouth that there's no chance of her sucking on it) the tubing along either the top, bottom, or side of her finger. Some babies object to the feel of the tube on their palate, or elsewhere…….it just may take a bit of experimentation and patience. I would recommend not ever cutting the tube, as that could create sharp edges and might potentially cut her mouth.

To clean it, you'll just want to use warm soapy water (basically the same way you clean your pump parts) and push the water through the tubing with the syringe screwed onto the white end piece. After running the soapy water through and rinsing thoroughly, you can hold the tube either in the middle or at the end (depending how much room you have) and whip it in a circle to force the water out.

I'm so sorry that you both have been having such a rough time with this transition.

Would it be possible for someone to bring her to you in the middle of the day to nurse? Could you visit her over your lunch break? I would encourage you to nurse her as much as possible while you are together. This may be challenging with some sleeping arrangements, but if you are able to work out a way for you to be in very close proximity, giving her unlimited access to the breast at night, daytime feedings become less important (we always view milk intake from a 24 hour standpoint……20-24 ounces in 24 hours, and when/how that occurs is up to each mom and baby).

Would whoever's watching her be willing to try alternative feeding methods? Either with cup-feeding or finger feeding? Info about those methods can be found here: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/. Finger feeding will be most like breastfeeding, and if you think this would work for Olivia, I would be happy to provide you with a feeding tube you can use. I also have feeding cups, and would be happy to provide that as well (although any flexible rimmed cup will work).

I would strongly caution against making any drastic changes that would limit Olivia's ability to get milk into her tummy. Really, the two most important things while she's learning this new feeding technique are that she is fed (20-24 ounces in a 24 hour period) and that your milk supply is protected. Weaning cold turkey is both physically and emotionally difficult, for both mom and baby, even in children who are significantly older.

Other than that, just keep working with her with the bottle. Some kiddos never take to it, and just learn to reverse cycle by nursing when they're with mom, and once they start solid foods/sippy cups with expressed milk, will take those during the day. Sometimes other children will just change (moms sometimes describe it as something "felt different" and they could tell that the baby would try the bottle right that second). Letting her play with the bottle, or trying when she's sleepy can sometimes work.

I just copied and pasted emails my friend forwarded me from her LC because we were having issues.

Daffney

January 13th, 2013, 08:57 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bummer! I won't tell you how it turned out with Penny when I waited too long, but I will be sending lots of bottle-sucking vibes to you and Willa!
January 14th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Oh no. I don't have any advice to give you but I hope you can get her to take one soon!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

January 14th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Veteran
The first poster has TONS of great info, so really, there isn't much to add. I will say, my DS2 had a LOT of issues learning to use a bottle and I had to pretty much buy one of every nipple to find one he would use. Do you think your daughter might just be picky about that? It couldn't be THAT easy though, right? Hoping she gets the hang of it.
January 14th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh...I haven't tried the bottle yet! Hope I'm not too late

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

January 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh no!! Sending lots of love and positive feeding vibes!! If only someone created a portable boobie that holds a bottle

January 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We struggled with this one also with our first and yes I fell into the "I can't go back to work until you take a bottle" camp. Though you probably have bought all the bottles you hope to use, you may have to get new ones. I held off buying our bottles until this week (though Kate has had them daily since 2 weeks). I wanted to make sure she picked the bottle before buying a ton of them.

My only suggestion, buy a few new bottles and try them. We had luck with the nuk nipple with our first but that was after buying about 10.
Also, pump fresh milk and immediately have DH feed the baby it.

January 16th, 2013, 04:10 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I'm pretty much exclusively using fresh "hot off the pump" milk. Either that, or room temperature milk. I am just using the medela bottles with a slow flow nipple, but I did try some Breastflow bottles that I used briefly with DD1. Yeah, DD2 doesn't like them either. I'm sure we'll get the hang of it... thanks for the tips ladies.
gardenbelle likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search