Anyone delaying

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By gardenbelle
  • 3 Post By Crystallee
  • 1 Post By rlh27
  • 1 Post By hilhillrn

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Solids?

I'm gonna wait till Rilynn is at least 6 months, can sit up on her own, and doesn't have that tongue thrust reflex.

I'm still undecided if I'm gonna do puréed food or go with fork mashed stuff.

January 14th, 2013, 07:26 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did baby led weaning with Penny, if you have any questions about it I would be happy to share my experiences. She started actually eating solids at 8 months and was still pretty much exclusively breastfed at a year. Boy, did she love the booby. I'm undecided on if I'll do it again with James as making baby food is so much fun! Jack loved babyfood purees (he started at 5 1/2 months) and I absolutely loved making them. In fact, I still make carrot puree and sneak it into all kinds of food without anyone in the family knowing, bwahaha!
I guess we'll see what his preferences are though.
As for when we plan on starting, I feel like that is all up to the baby - very few are ready to try food at 4 months but many aren't ready until 8-9 months. We'll see where James is at with his development.
chomsee and mlc52811 like this.
January 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
We are going with "foods before 1 are just for fun!" lol Baby led weaning. Whenever after 6-8ish months that we see signs we will give it a whirl.
chomsee, Gripstress and mlc52811 like this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
January 15th, 2013, 06:20 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I think we'll be using the "before one just for fun" philosophy too.

Mary, did you have a recipe book for making baby food, or did you just do it? I plan on making all of Caleb's food.
chomsee likes this.
January 15th, 2013, 06:49 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I haven't read baby led weaning. How do you know they are ready to taste?

January 15th, 2013, 12:25 PM
chomsee
you can check out babyledweaning.com
January 15th, 2013, 01:14 PM
The Truth is out There
People give food before 6 months? I had no idea... I think we're going to go with the "foods before one are for fun" thing too.

January 15th, 2013, 02:03 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
I'm doing very little rice cereal in nighttime bottles starting tomorrow night. He will be 8 weeks. I did the same thing with Miles.
January 15th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
im doing what I did with my 1st DD.. Cereal at 4 months and some food at 5-6
January 15th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think we are about to start doing some cereal because they seem to have some reflux problems so i figure i will start out at night since they both only get up once at night anyway(to bad its different times huh lol) then when they hit six months i will start giving them mashed up bananas and maybe teething bars depending on how many teeth they have.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

January 15th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post

Mary, did you have a recipe book for making baby food, or did you just do it? I plan on making all of Caleb's food.
Yes, I loved Super Baby Food by Ruth Yarrow! My book is tabbed, bookmarked and highlighted from so much use. I don't agree with everything in the book, but I really like the cooking and storing suggestions. It's a really great resource for those starting out making purees.
January 15th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBump View Post
Shoot, I'm going to need a refresher course since it's been a couple of years but basically, they need to be able to grab their own food and put it in their mouth because with baby led weaning, you don't feed them - they feed themselves so no spoons or purees. Usually it's something that happens around 6 or 7 months but can happen earlier. There are other criteria but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
January 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, it's cool that so many other ladies here are planning on doing baby led weaning too! that's what we're hoping to do.

January 15th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ive always waited until 6 mos. And this time I might even wait longer. Feeding solids, once you start, is just one more darned thing you gotta do in the day! LOL! Yeah it's cute for the first week or so but after that... yeah. Boring-o.

I made my own baby food with my first. Its so easy. Just go to the market, get a bunch of frozen or fresh peas, carrots, apples, sweet potatoes, etc just whatever you want. Go home and steam them (or bake them), puree them in a blender with a little water, and put them in ice cube trays. Freeze them. Pop them out into freezer bags. Pull one cube out and nuke it when you want it. Mix different flavors together. I never read any recipe books, I figured thats what they told you to do anyways!! I just took one afternoon to do all this and made a TON of baby food that lasted for about 3-4 mos.

With my second, I was way too lazy and she just ate what we ate, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBump View Post
Oh youll know! They'll start diving for your fork and eyeing everything you put into their mouth. It's like they just "know" when they want to eat.
gardenbelle likes this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

January 15th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I made a lot of the foods for Phoenix and Pascale and will probably do it again...I'm sure I will. I never did baby led weaning exactly but I never fed before 6 months or so and never too consistently until they seemed to want it. Like Hilary said, cute at first then it's just one more thing to deal with. I made my foods the same also...steam, add water, puree, freeze in cubes, defrost and feed.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

January 16th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm really not sure. I think we'll wait until at least 6 months, but we'll see how things are going at that point.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search