Mirena

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By rlh27
  • 1 Post By Dhartanya
  • 2 Post By taatie10
  • 1 Post By hilhillrn
  • 1 Post By bug, boo, n boogers mom
  • 1 Post By ** Tay **

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
So I thought I was going to get the Mirena IUD, but I keep hearing negative things about it lately. First someone on here mentioned that they can cause heavy periods and bad cramping, then that you can still get pregnant with them, and then today I see one of those lawyer commercials that say if you or someone you know has used Mirena, call our company blah blah blah, so I looked it up and found this. Eek! I don't know what to do anymore. My appointment is next Tuesday so I need to decide what to do!

Mirena Recall of IUD - Medical Studies & FDA Warnings

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting a baby boy in February!

{Our family blog}

January 16th, 2013, 02:03 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I wasn't going to say anything since everyone has been excited about getting their Mirena, but since you asked...

I know several people who got pregnant on Mirena. One was etopic and she lost that tube. It can stop ovulation, but that's not main way it works. It mainly works by changing your CM so the sperm is less likely to get in. However, one of the things it does is it thins the lining of your uterus so a fertilized egg can't implant. I'm not personally okay with this. I'm not just saying this, you can read it right on the fda issued info about Mirena. You can check it out on the Mirena website: Mirena® | What It Does just click where it says "patient info"

There's other risks involved too. Just do your research and see if it really is the best option for you.
January 16th, 2013, 02:30 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
I'm getting depo. I've always had good luck when I wasn't I'm antibiotics. Was on it for 6+ years
January 16th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickersons09 View Post
I'm getting depo. I've always had good luck when I wasn't I'm antibiotics. Was on it for 6+ years
Do you take a calcium supp?
Or ever had your bone density checked?
I know they recommend bone density checks on anyone on depo for over a few years.
taatie10 likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 03:02 PM
chomsee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhartanya View Post
Do you take a calcium supp?
Or ever had your bone density checked?
I know they recommend bone density checks on anyone on depo for over a few years.
Yeah, my mom got osteoporosis from being on depo
January 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I'm surprised your Dr lets you be on it for 6 years. The OB's I used to work for would only allow 2 years then you had to be off it several years due to the done density issues.

I've never known anyone who got pregnant on Mirena and my OB said she's only known 2 in her whole time practicing.
I dont pay much attention to those lawyer commercials just because if I was scared of everything that had side effects I'd never take anything again. My sister has had a Mirena after each of my nephews and had great things to say and so have several people I know so I'm still going ahead with it next Tues.

I hope you figure out what to do Cassie before your appt.
** Tay ** and Gripstress like this.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
January 16th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
I wasn't going to say anything since everyone has been excited about getting their Mirena, but since you asked...

I know several people who got pregnant on Mirena. One was etopic and she lost that tube. It can stop ovulation, but that's not main way it works. It mainly works by changing your CM so the sperm is less likely to get in. However, one of the things it does is it thins the lining of your uterus so a fertilized egg can't implant. I'm not personally okay with this. I'm not just saying this, you can read it right on the fda issued info about Mirena. You can check it out on the Mirena website: Mirena® | What It Does just click where it says "patient info"

There's other risks involved too. Just do your research and see if it really is the best option for you.
Yes, all IUDs work this way, in fact. They make the uterine lining unfavorable for a fertilized egg to implant... therefore causing an unintended abortion. I personally am not ok with this, either.

I was on the Mirena for 8 mos after I had my first. I never had a period on it except for one VERY heavy flow time... At the time I thought it was a period but now I believe it was a miscarriage. I wish I would have never gotten it. I never had any side effects, though, other than that.
chomsee likes this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

January 17th, 2013, 06:38 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
I had bone density scans every year at my yearly exam and everything was always fine. I don't have a lot if calcium in my diet either! I love depo! No periods and it's a shot every 3 months!
January 17th, 2013, 08:22 AM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have the implanon and I love it. Never had the mirena, but I do know somebody who got pregnant while using it.
Miss Kelly likes this.

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

January 17th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickersons09 View Post
I had bone density scans every year at my yearly exam and everything was always fine. I don't have a lot if calcium in my diet either! I love depo! No periods and it's a shot every 3 months!
You must have super bones! Lucky!

January 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved the implanon!!

January 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM
** Tay **'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had no period with mirena after the first couple weeks...had it for nine monthes after dd. I also don't personally know anyone that has gotten pregnant while it was in... And I know a lot of women that use it...

I guess just keep checking things out till you decide what's best for you. I find though that too much googling is not always a good thing. People tend to go online to talk about the bad way more than they do to talk about the good- just keep that in mind.
taatie10 likes this.

Last edited by ** Tay **; January 17th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search