Bath time drama

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Super Mommy
Ok...could use some advice. Arianna hates bath time. Just bringing her into the bathroom naked starts a crying fit. The poor thing screams and cries so loud you would think we were torturing her. Is it just her age? Could def use some suggestions that would make bath time more enjoyable.
January 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sean has loved bathtime except for when he needed sponge baths.

Is the water the right temperature? I have a Summer Infant bath thermometer that has three ranges of temps. Sean likes it as hot as I can get it while still being a safe temp. Our Munchkin ducky thermometers say it's too hot at a temp that is actually too cold for Sean.

What kind of tub do you have her in? I put Sean's tub right in the kitchen sink so he's right at my level.

January 17th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran
Madisyn only hated her baths for about the first week since she's been home. Now she loves then, except after we are done sometimes before she dries off she starts screaming because she is cold. Maybe the water isn't the right temp? I also always make sure I have her towel right there next to her tub to so as soon as we are done I wrap her in the towel immediately. I also bath her in her tub in the sink, I think she likes being at my level.
January 17th, 2013, 09:10 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All three of my kids have loved bath time. We use this tub in the kitchen sink(they've all used the same one). Make sure the water is nice and warm. I also use two wash cloths, one to wash him up with, and one to lay over him to keep him warm. I also set everything up before I get him naked so that way I can put him in the warm water right away so he doesn't get cold.
BlndGrl8 likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran
We run the shower so that the bathroom is nice and warm then we use warm water, as warm as is safe. As long as she stays warm everyone stays happy.
January 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Roger is fine all throughout the actual bath but then starts screaming the second you get him out and wrapped in the towel. Sorry I'm not help, I'm stumped too figuring out what it is about that part he doesn't like.

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
make sure the water is warm like the others said. What I do to calm Noah is make sure the actual bathroom is nice and warm ( we use a space heater) and then I keep a warm wet rag on his tummy and he loves that.

[/url

January 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just so you don't feel alone, I do all the things everyone has suggested, and Ellie still hates her bath. We've had two baths total where she hasn't screamed her head off the entire time. I'm beginning to suspect part of the problem is the tub itself. She just doesn't appear to be able to sit comfortably in it, but other than that, I'm as stumped as you are as to how to help her like bath time!

January 17th, 2013, 12:09 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Connor only likes bath time if he can hold on to someone I think the tub makes him feel like hes going to float away or something (is there anything that comforts him outside the tub he can hold/see/hear while in it to) Conor also likes music so if were haveing a rough day ill set some tunes an bob around for him to laugh at

January 17th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Super Mommy
The water is definitely warm and I use the space heater to keep the room warm. We've done sponge baths, regular bath baths. I'm totally at a loss. I would just take her in the shower with me...but I like my water scalding hot...

In like the kitchen sink idea...I'm gonna give that a try.
January 17th, 2013, 03:20 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
lily loves bath time i hold her in our bath tub, she laughs and starting to splash around, i talk to to her and try to make her as comfy as i can. sorry i'm not much of a help

January 17th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some babies do just hate bathtime. My son always did. Emma did at first, but now she likes it until I take her out to dry her off because I think she gets cold when she gets out of the water.

January 17th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some just don't like it. My first was the worst but Ainsley isn't a fan. She might be ok if I bathed with her, but I haven't tried. I just bathe her as quickly as I can, have the room warm and everything layed out to make the whole thing go as quick as I can.
January 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Get in the tub with her
SarahxSyanide likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 08:11 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, you'll all probably think me mental... but this discussion got me looking into getting a different tub. Ours was given to us by my friend, so I never looked into even registering for one.

Well, lame brain me didn't know they had sling inserts for newborns! Went to Walmart tonight & got a new tub... and she LOVED it! We actually got to take bath time pictures tonight! She was probably thinking, "It's about stinkin' time, Mom!"

January 17th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hate baby baths. They are a pain to keep dry and store. I'm also not a fan of sink baths, but I think that's because the boys don't like them. So I always get in the tub and let Nathaniel float around with me. I just hold him by the back of the head, and he loves it.

January 18th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I sing to her when I have to do things she finds unpleasent, it distracts her a bit. She likes her bath but it works well when I blow her nose.

January 18th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Durango14's Avatar ♥ Expecting #2 ♥
Calla always hated bath time too until we got a newborn sling for her to lay in. I also started letting her stand in the water first instead of just sitting her all the way in, which seemed to startle her. Now she sits upright and I lay a wash cloth over her belly to keep her warm during it.

January 27th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
No time to read through the replies to see if this was mentioned, but the NICU nurses with DS1 taught us to swaddle him when bathing and only uncover what we were washing. They said it gives the babies a sense of security. DS1 and DS2 always were calm even with the blanket wet.

January 27th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Super Mommy
We finally had a breakthrough. ..I put her in the sink with a towel under her. Worked great until it wastime to rinse her off and the sink wasn't big enough and I had to use the tub anyway.
I like the feet first idea. I think I will try the big tub again but put her in gradually.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search