Pumping help!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By LetGo
  • 2 Post By Leanne78
  • 1 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By Glycerin19
  • 2 Post By Enceinte2012
  • 1 Post By Hopolka

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 01:05 AM
SarahxSyanide's Avatar Super Mommy
So as most of you know I was disabled in 2012 due to a car accident. Well it's been a year and I think I'm ready to go back to work!! I'm pretty sure I have something lined up at a grocery store. It will be 30 hours a week 9 hour days with an hour for lunch. Which is a great amount of time to pump.

I've been working on stocking up. I just started last week, as this job was unexpected, I haven't got much. I only have about 20oz stashed right now.
Everytime I pump, I only get 4 1/2oz. Is this normal for 3 months pp? I only pump once in the middle of the night when I'm slightly engorged. I feel I would get more if I pumped when I was really engorged, but the baby doesn't let me pump during the day. She's still eating about every 2 hours.

I've been drinking water before and after pumping.
Any suggestions or advice? Is that a normal amount?
~Genevieve Violet Born October 31st at 10:42pm 10lbs 1oz 22inches.~
Breastfeeding for 5 months!
]
January 18th, 2013, 01:22 AM
Veteran
The average amount per pumping session is supposed to be 1-3 oz total. If you want to boost your supply, wait until after LO finishes eating before a long nap and pump to tell your body to produce more. Some people also pump right before bed. Make sure to drink lots if water all day, not just before and after the pumping session. I know i can tell a difference in my supply when i dont get tons of water throughout the day! You only need enough milk saved up for the first day of work, after that, what you pump each day while you're apart can be used for the following day. The average baby eats 25 oz per day. Here is a link for more on how much milk your baby may need during feedings http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/. Remember you need to pump every time the baby gets a bottle to preserve your supply, so you'll have to pump multiple times during your shift & they're required to let you.
January 18th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I think it varies for everyone. Do you just hook up the pump and sit back and just let it pump? I have to be actively involved or no milk comes out at all. I have to do "compressions", where I hold down on the outside of the breasts until milk starts coming out. I do this all the way around the breast for each duct area. They call it massage, but it's really holding pressure down on certain areas. The more you do it, the more you know where to press down to get the milk to come out. It's the difference between me getting 2 oz and 10. I usually cup my hand under the breast and use my thumb to press in around the outside of the breast nearest the armpit to get it going.

January 18th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Amber. I can do nothing to my left side and get 5oz but I have to work with my right side to get the same amount. If I just leave my right side alone I'll only get 2. I also found that each side needs a different size flange. I have large nipples so I use a 30mm on my left side but a 36mm on my right. Sean is the same age as Genevieve. I also only pump once per day and I am able to get a total of 9-10oz from that session.
SarahxSyanide likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with drinking as much water as you can get down. I would also pump when you wake up, and before bed. I work 9hrs a day with a half hr lunch. I pump as soon as I get out of the shower then nurse after I get ready for work. I pump on lunch, and once on my 15min break. Then I either pump or nurse when I get home depending on when Nathaniel ate last. I always make sure to pump at least once in the evening.

I'm 2mo PP, and I get 6-12oz at a time depending on how long between pumping times and how long on the pump. But I started over pumping to increase supply as soon as I left the hospital.

January 19th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I do try to massage my breasts but not nearly as much as you were explaining. I should try that. My flange only comes in one size, with a rubber insert if I want it smaller. It's an evenflo single electric pump I got for christmas. Hopefully with this job I can get a hospital grade pump from WIC. That will hopefully increase my output.

My husband, sill man, tried to thaw some milk today by boiling the bag in a pan....he burned the bag shut and wasted 2 1/2 oz of milk -___- -sigh-
This is going to be quite a big change for us, but I'm really excited about it!

How long do I need to stay on the pump after i'm done flowing, to over produce?
]
January 19th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Can you pump one side while feeding on the other? I don't give a lot of pumping advice because I am totally desensitized to them. I can get nothing to come out no matter how engorged I am, but I can nurse a baby for years. Go figure. It's all in my head, but I had to pump with my first when I went back to work and it was stressful at the time. Anyway, the only way I can get any milk is if the baby is nursing on one side and then I can relax enough to let the other side flow too. You will also boost your supply by doing this as you make milk when you empty your breasts.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

January 21st, 2013, 04:59 AM
ill have to try that out. I've been nervous of doing it because the pump is kinda loud and I don't want to freak the baby out. Also I don't want her to run out on one side and still be hungry, and not be able to get milk out of the other.
]
January 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
Enceinte2012's Avatar Super Mommy
I have the same pump as you do. I started pumping extra right when I got out of the hospital, knowing that I was going back to work. In the beginning, I was really proactive about it , and she wasn't eating as much as she is now, so I was able to build up a stash. I probably have about 250-300 ozs frozen. That being said, I went back to work 2 weeks ago. I have only used maybe 60 oz, and that was for the first couple of days. I pump about 8-10 ozs total while I am at work, and have been able to pretty much keep up with her. I do breast feed her every morning, and as soon as I get home, and all night... I am hoping to make it to 6 months with pumping/BFing, and I am confident that I can do so...
Hopolka and SarahxSyanide like this.

~*~Meghann~*~
Proud Mommy to Amber and Addyson

January 21st, 2013, 10:48 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
These seem like all great suggestions. I was worried I wouldn't have enough of a stash but it sounds like what I've already got saved up will get me through the first couple days and then I can replenish with what I pump at work.

I work 12hr shifts so I'm hoping to get away at least 3 times throughout the day.

FX for you as you get ready to head to work also!
January 27th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
I have to be actively involved or no milk comes out at all. I have to do "compressions", where I hold down on the outside of the breasts until milk starts coming out.
All the previous advice is excellent. I get 3-5 ounces when not actively involved like this. 6-10 ounces when I am involved.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search