Worried about milk stash :/

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By SarahxSyanide
  • 2 Post By MoonMom
  • 1 Post By MoonMom
  • 1 Post By Jamyandcrew

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
So...I head back to work next Tuesday and I'm a little worried about my milk stash.

Annalise has become more efficient at draining me when she BF and is also drinking more. I've tried pumping after she's nursed just to get some milk in my stash and there's normally not more than ounce or two left in my BBs.

I've got a few 12oz bags in the deep freeze but not nearly enough for even a week's worth of feedings.

I'm worried I won't have enough when I head back to work. Any suggestions?
January 21st, 2013, 05:00 AM
SarahxSyanide's Avatar Super Mommy
If you go to my thread titled 'pumping help', you can see some suggestions. It's pretty much the same question as yours.
Hopolka likes this.
~Genevieve Violet Born October 31st at 10:42pm 10lbs 1oz 22inches.~
Breastfeeding for 5 months!
]
January 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you'll be pumping at work, right? You don't need a huge amount frozen to successfully pump and feed your baby. Unless for some weird reason your kiddo ends up drinking way more from the bottle than what you pump while you are away... I guess that is a possibility? Like if you need to feed 3 bottles 3oz each while you are gone, that's 9oz, as long as you can pump that while you're at work, you only need 9oz in the freezer to get you started, because the next day you can just feed what you pumped the previous day. Make sense?

It's a good idea to have a small buffer of extra milk in case of accidental spills/days when she's more hungry/etc. But it sounds like you've got that established already. It'll take a few days to figure out how much she eats vs. how much you pump, after that you'll know if you need to do something to try to up your supply.

With my DS1, I always pumped more than he ate. By the time he weaned when he was 2.5 I had about 100oz in the freezer that just ended up getting tossed out because he wouldn't drink it from a cup!
Hopolka and Jamyandcrew like this.

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
Okay that makes me feel a little better. I only have roughly 40oz in the freezer but am still managing to have at least 3-4 extra ounces in a day of pumped. She's eating about 4oz a feeding and I'll be working 12hr shifts. So I'll aim to have at least 3 feedings worth for the sitter.

I'm hoping on my days off to strictly nurse her to keep my supply up. FX!
January 22nd, 2013, 04:41 PM
How many times will you get to pump during your shifts?

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 23rd, 2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMom View Post
How many times will you get to pump during your shifts?
I work evenings which are much more free than days. I'll probably get at least 3 or 4 occasions if I need them. Certainly at least 2.
January 23rd, 2013, 11:50 AM
I think you should be ok then! good luck going back to work! I just went back yesterday and it's going well so far.
Hopolka likes this.

baby Roger @ 7 months

January 28th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Jamyandcrew's Avatar Veteran
I am always worried about this too and then quickly realize there was no need. You will likely get at least 3oz per pumping session, so if you pump 3-4 x you will have enough for the next day. I also try to squeeze in an extra session on my way to work using the hands free bra to pump and drive. Also, have the sitter offer 3oz bottles and then wait a bit to make sure she is still hungry before feeding more. milk comes out way fast from the bottle and baby might eat more than she needs because she doesn't realize she is full. Feed her right before you leave and don't let them feed her two hours before you get home so she will be nice and hungry for you. eat a little something every two hours and drink plenty of water. You will be fine!
Hopolka likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search