Grocery shopping with baby

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
What do you do with baby when you go grocery shopping? I've seen a lot of people put the infant carrier up in the little seat, but I've heard that's dangerous. So far DH has done our main shopping, but I'll be taking that back over since she's 6 weeks now. I have taken her a few times for quick trips and I put her seat in the cart but that takes up basically the whole cart space. I would bring my baby k'tan wrap but it's way too cold out to stand out there trying to get her in it. So what do you do?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

January 24th, 2013, 07:42 AM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She goes in the cart, I won't put her on top.

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

January 24th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I put him in the cart in his carseat. Yes, the carseat does take up most of the room in the cart but I just stuff things in all around him and under the cart. The when I'm bagging the groceries and end up needing more room to put the bags of groceries in the cart, I will take him out and just carry the carseat to the van while pushing the cart of groceries.
January 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM
xzippedx's Avatar Mommy of 2 :)
same i seat him in his carseat and inside the cart, but usually we leave the shopping for the weekends so i won't have to go alone
January 24th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Caleb's Mommy!
His ped told me to not take him out to places like the grocery store until he was 3 months, so I just go when DH is home and DH watches him. I probably won't take him with me to the store until he's big enough to sit in the front part of the cart.
Due with #2 on July 10

January 24th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Veteran
I've been thinking about this too, as I haven't taken her in public yet, but desperately need to run to the grocery store within the next week, as DH is traveling for the first time since Laila's birth. I was planning to just put the seat in the main part of the cart, even if it cuts down on my space. I was thinking about maybe even trying to put her in the Moby carrier while in the car ( we have a van and I can jump in the backseat and get her loaded in before heading into the store) but not sure how that will end up working. I have a feeling I will be taking several small trips to the store each week, until she's old enough to sit in the front section of the cart!

January 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I put on the moby at home. Drive to the store. Get out get in the back feed her and put her on the moby in the car. Put my coat on over us and get out and go in.
chomsee and Dhartanya like this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
January 24th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
most of the time i just dont go alone but when i do go i put them in the stroller and pull it behind me as i push the cart or push it and pull the cart. when i just had dd in a car seat i would latch it onto the end of the cart. i know they say this is unsafe but i have never had any trouble getting my Graco car seats to hook on just like it does withe the base.
taatie10 likes this.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

January 24th, 2013, 03:32 PM
chomsee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystallee View Post
I put on the moby at home. Drive to the store. Get out get in the back feed her and put her on the moby in the car. Put my coat on over us and get out and go in.
Exactly what I do, except I don't have a van I have a 2 door car so it makes it difficult. The day we bought the moby we brought him into the store with the carseat in the stroller and it was a huge pain in the ***, and I haven't got the green light to drive yet and my husband and I do our shopping together anyways. When he was in his carseat he's got a light cover thing on it so he's not exposed but I love the moby better he sleeps really good and he's always near me -- why parents are always distancing their children I'll never know. (When I brought him in in the carseat I was paranoid about turning my back for even a minute and having him gone, way less stress this way)

My husband and I are kind of freaks when it comes to shopping, I carry hand sanitizer in my purse and we actually sanitize the shopping cart handle before we grab it. I doubt theyre ever cleaned to be honest and you touch it, then touch your baby...
January 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Do Not Blink
It's dangerous to put the carseat in the top part? That's what I do. It latches on just like it does with the base, and can't fall off. Otherwise, I'd just put her in the back and stack stuff around her

January 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
Ours latches on too so that's what we do also
January 24th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
It's very dangerous to latch it to the top.
It actually wears the latching mechanism down, and if its not a seat that will click into the top, the seat is at a huge risk to fall.

Coped from somewhere

Quote:
Share |

We’ve all seen it. You’re walking through the grocery store and every infant car seat you see is perched on top of the shopping cart. It seems so convenient and lots of people do it. But is it safe? The answer is a resounding NO!

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says not to do it. http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...ics;118/2/e545 In fact, the AAP doesn’t think any child should ride in that part of a shopping cart and very specifically states that “parents and caregivers should never place an infant carrier on top of the shopping cart.”

Why is this? Some of the seats clip right on and seem pretty secure. Unfortunately, even if they seem to fit securely they often are not secure. The little clip on the back isn't made for the seat to snap onto a shopping cart the way the seat snaps into its base in the car. Even if the seat did clip onto the shopping cart securely, putting a car seat up there changes the center of gravity of the shopping cart significantly. The cart becomes top-heavy and is then more likely to tip over, injuring a child sitting in the shopping cart or riding on top of it in their infant car seat.

Wait. Injured even if they are properly secured in their car seat? That seems counterintuitive. It’s true, though – an infant falling while strapped into their infant car seat is actually MORE likely to suffer from severe injuries than if they fell from the same height unrestrained. In one case study, an infant suffered from an epidural hematoma (ie a brain bleed) after he fell in his car seat from the top of a washing machine (Hulka F. An Infant in a Car Seat on a Washing Machine: Epidural Hematoma. Pediatrics. Oct 1994). This same study goes on to explain that, in general, children falling from elevated surfaces do not suffer from severe injuries. This is because we have an instinctual protective righting reflex. However, in the case of an infant strapped into a car seat, there is an inability to execute this righting reflex making severe injury actually more likely. Additionally, the car seat adds 50% to the impact energy of an average 1 year old and an even higher percentage for a lighter child.

Knowing all this, it makes sense why you should never put an infant car seat on top of a shopping cart. A better option is to take your baby out of their car seat and put them in a sling or other baby carrier. I found this made my babies happier anyway! If you really want to keep the baby in the infant car seat, I’ve seen many moms put the car seat in a travel system stroller and either pull a shopping cart while pushing the stroller or use the stroller basket to hold the items. Another option is to put the infant carrier in the main basket of the shopping cart and pile groceries around the carrier. This doesn’t affect the center of gravity quite as much and if the shopping cart does tip, the baby doesn’t have as far to travel before hitting the ground.
chomsee likes this.

Last edited by Dhartanya; January 24th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
January 25th, 2013, 06:32 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blcooper32 View Post
i know they say this is unsafe but i have never had any trouble getting my Graco car seats to hook on just like it does withe the base.
I put the carrier on the cart.
My Graco carrier locks onto the cart just like the base too. I have to pull the release to get it off so I'm not worried.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
January 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Me either. I have done it with all my kids and my sisters kids. I have never had trouble out of if.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

January 26th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by taatie10 View Post
I put the carrier on the cart.
My Graco carrier locks onto the cart just like the base too. I have to pull the release to get it off so I'm not worried.
The problem with that is while it may seem "lock into place" it's not supposed to "lock" into a shopping cart, so it can wear down the locking part of the car seat, making it not lock properly or as well into the base.
Meaning it can malfunction, especially in a car accident (plus the risk of it malfunctioning in the shopping cart around a corner).

.... I hope my post doesn't come off as preaching. I don't mean it to if it does.
chomsee and mlc52811 like this.

January 26th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Even locked it still isn't safe. If a cart tips over because of the shifted gravity, they go down with the cart and would still suffer the fall, regardless of not coming disconnected. Here is some more info: Shopping Cart Safety

I don't mean to come off preachy either but it is a scary thing to witness (which I actually have at a grocery store) and it is one of those things that you think won't happen until it does.
chomsee and mlc52811 like this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
January 26th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran
I latch my carrier on to the top when I *have* to, only b/c it's hard to see around while pushing the cart. Usually I will put the carrier inside the cart or latch it onto the stroller and carry a grocery basket.
January 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Veteran
In our place kids are put in the shopping cart but sometimes DD will still want to be carried so we usually end up shopping while she is in our carrier.
January 27th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Ok I'm going to have to do this for the first time tomorrow. I guess I'm going to get into the back seat and get her into the baby ktan that way. I don't know why I didn't even think of that. FX it all goes well!
chomsee likes this.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

January 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM
nina9809's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put him in the cart also but yes he takes up most of the space (at least at Safeway). I've been going to Target.... and then I put a basket underneath and fill that up!! I don't know what I would do if I needed to get tons of stuff, luckily I don't. Costco mind you has huge carts, so when we shop there we don't have any problems fitting him in the cart and all our stuff!

Thank you Kiliki... for my amazing siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search