Exclusively Pumping...which pump?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
My son is almost 7 weeks old. We are currently pumping as he would not latch on. I use a Medela Pump in Style. I am returning back to work in 2 weeks and want to get a more compact pump so I do not have to lug around the current one. It works great for home. But I want one that I can use at work and when traveling. Preferably quiet so people will not know what is going on in my office. Can anyone make any suggestions? I have looked at the Medela Freestyle (about $300) and the FirstYears MiPump (about $70). Any recommendations. I do exclusively pump, so it need to be built to last.
January 28th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
I have an older Madela electric double pump and also have the Hygeia Enjoye which is also a nice pump but I find myself using my manual Madela pump bc it's quick n easy. I go back to work late Feb n that is the reason I got the Enjoye but now considering just using the manual pump when at work or away.

Thank you Jaidynsmum

January 31st, 2013, 08:29 AM
I have a manual. But I find myself getting less milk with it. I do keep it in the diaper bag in case I am away when it's time to pump. But I focus on what I am doing and therefore don't get much milk. Whereas if I focus on something else, I loose track of how much and how long I have pumped and generally produce twice as much.
January 31st, 2013, 10:07 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tonya, I bought the Medela Freestyle when I was pregnant with DD1 (that's my first daughter in Just Mommies lingo), and am currently using it for DD2, who was born on 12/6. It's great, and EXTREMELY compact. I EBF my first one for 15 months, and I work full time, so it got used at least 2-3 times per day. I've had to pump since about week 2 with this little one due to her lazy nursing habits, and the Freestyle is still working great. I would highly recommend a freestyle. BTW, their customer service (MEDELA, ie.) is great.

Also, keep in mind that under Obamacare, pumps are now supposed to be covered 100%. I know that when us December DDC girls were still pregnant, most of the girls were not able to get their insurances to cover their pumps at that time, but I think the rules are now in full effect, inamsuch as I just heard a piece on NPR about this. It's worth looking into anyway.
TonyaLynn02 likes this.
January 31st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Momma_Mia's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes Maggie! My pump died on me a couple weeks ago and I was able to get a new electric double pump through my insurance!! The Madela was on back ordered and I couldn't wait so I got the Hygiea Enjoye which has worked just as good as my Madela PIS did. I had to get it through one of my insurance approved medical equipment supplier and they filed the claim with my insurance.

Thank you Jaidynsmum

February 4th, 2013, 03:27 AM
I really need to check into that. I also looked into the Pump in Style Advanced, Metro bag. The pump motor itself is more compact and it allows for me to plug in somewhere if needed as opposed to using the battery pack all the time. I would use this only while at work, traveling, etc. But it would be used daily. Does the battery pack on the Freestyle hold us and is the suction as good as the description says, MarlowsMum?
February 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, the charge holds great on the Freestyle. I used it every day with my first daughter when I returned to work, at least 2-3 times per day. I would always bring it home and charge it up every night, and I never had any problems. Then it sat for almost 3 years between my two girls, although I pulled the battery out. When I was ready to use it again, I just put the same battery back in, recharged it, and it's been fantastic. I don't return to work until next week, but I probably use it every day to every other day presently, and I only have to charge it about 1x per week. I love it. The suction is also great, although I have only ever had the freestyle, so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't have any complaints.

Tags
breastfeeding , pumping

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search