Baby Proofing?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Belita
  • 1 Post By MoonMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
So...I had some friends over to the house on Saturday and I learned quickly that my house really isn't as baby proofed as I thought it was.

Their daughter was pulling on the shades, ripping things off the coffee table, chewing on everything in site.

So, my question is for those BTDT moms. What are your suggestions? Those "must-haves" or tips and tricks to baby proofing your home.
February 4th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard to get down at their level and look for anything that looks interesting.

February 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I never baby proofed, except outlet plugs, and DS1 figured out how to take those out very fast. I just don't leave him in a room alone long enough to do any harm. But now that he's 2 I do need to put cabinet locks, and toilet locks on. He loves to open cabinet doors and flush the toilet. So now I worry about chemicals and clogged septic tanks.

February 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your house will never be fully baby/child proofed. My girls still find things to get into, just when I think I have it all child proofed they grow a little taller and can reach something else, or get a little smarter and figure out something else!

I just go for the dangerous things, outlet covers, stairs, and kitchen cabinets/draws since they have heavy/sharp things in them. Glass items were removed from tables and shelves within their reach.

Things are going to get broken, and things will be touched and played with that you don't want played with.

Oh and we did lock our bathroom doors( we could stick our fingernail in the handle to unlock it) before the girls learned not to throw things in the toilet. Broken septic is not one lesson I wanted to learn!

February 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Keep in mind that some kids like to get into everything, others don't. I would take care of the serious stuff like kitchen knives, cleaning products, blinds/cords, outlets, etc. and just play the rest by ear. My older son never seemed too interested in making a mess of stuff that wasn't his, so I wasted money on drawer locks and door handle covers that I never ended up using. Fingers crossed Roger will be the same way!
Hopolka likes this.

baby Roger @ 7 months

February 13th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
We never really baby proofed our house, just tried to safe guard obvious dangers - like gates on stairs, covers on outlets and stuff like that. I know you can't watch them 24x7 but I do keep a really close eye on Akadia and I don't leave her in a room unsupervised unless it's pretty well locked down. She's a lot harder now than she was as a little baby. I mostly kept her in her room then and she didn't have anything to get into.

February 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Baby Proofing Guide

February 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Super Mommy
We did not buy anything in advance with Lucy - just followed her development - i.e. once she got interested in our books, we removed them from bottom 3 shelves, once she figured out how to overfeed our kitties, we started placing their dry food in top cabinets. After a while she loses interest and now the kitty food is back where it was and she does not touch it trust me, you will know your child much better than your friends' kids so you will feel much more confident and competent. And just to cheer you up, I want to tell you that I was raised in a country with 220v outlets that take prongs the size of a baby's pinky and outlet covers did not exist on the market, but here I am alive

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search