Questions for Breastfeeding mommas

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By rlh27
  • 1 Post By rlh27

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 05:51 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1.) Are you pumping? If so - how much do you find that you are pumping at each session?

2.) Are you doing any daily "maintenance" to keep up your supply? (e.g.: taking supplements, etc.) If so, do you find that it actually makes a difference to your supply?

3.) How is it going in general? Any current challenges/issues?

February 12th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
1.) Are you pumping? If so - how much do you find that you are pumping at each session? Not any more, although I'm going to have to start again soon when my Zumba class starts next month and DH will be on daddy duty twice a week.

2.) Are you doing any daily "maintenance" to keep up your supply? (e.g.: taking supplements, etc.) If so, do you find that it actually makes a difference to your supply? No

Going great!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

February 12th, 2013, 08:02 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
1.) Are you pumping? If so - how much do you find that you are pumping at each session? Yes, I pump 3X a day because I bottle feed for all night feedings (just easier for me). I get about 10oz in the morning, 2-3 before bed, and 5 after his middle of the night feeding.

2.) Are you doing any daily "maintenance" to keep up your supply? (e.g.: taking supplements, etc.) If so, do you find that it actually makes a difference to your supply? If it seems like my supply is dropping, I'll add in an extra pumping session after lunch to up my demand. I also eat lots of oats, which really makes a difference for me

3.) How is it going in general? Any current challenges/issues? Meh, I'm not loving it like I thought I would. It seems like we're constantly dealing with thrush, which hurts so badly! It's not fun having a baby hanging off my boob all day. I feel like I'm missing that bonding component everyone talks about. But I think we'll make it to 6 months like I planned. After that I'm toying with the idea of pumping until a year so he never has to have formula. We'll see. I'm not at all against formula, I'm just cheap, lol.
February 12th, 2013, 09:14 AM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1.) Are you pumping? If so - how much do you find that you are pumping at each session?
Yes, I usually pump 3-4 times a day and bottle feed her the breast milk. I just like that better than having to whip my girls out every 5 mins. I usually get 2-3 oz from each side each time I pump.

2.) Are you doing any daily "maintenance" to keep up your supply? (e.g.: taking supplements, etc.) If so, do you find that it actually makes a difference to your supply?
I take Vitamins and try to eat well and drink lots of water.

I am not loving breastfeeding as much as I thought I would either. It is to much of a chore to try to go anywhere and I don't feel comfortable always having to think about what I am wearing and trying to make it convenient and comfortable to whip out the girls. I usually only breast feed her at night when I pull her into our bed and am too tired to make a bottle. But during the day I bottle feed her. I was struggling with feeling really guilty at first about giving her a bottle because I felt like I was doing something "wrong." But she is having breast milk in the bottle so I am feeling better about it now. (sorry so long )

February 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
1.) Are you pumping? If so - how much do you find that you are pumping at each session? Yes, now that I'm back to work I pump at least 2-3x per day, depending upon whether it's one of the days that I get to feed Willa on my lunch break. (Daycare is close enough that I can, so when she goes on Tues/Thurs, that's what I do.) I'm getting about 5-6 oz per session, which is more than enough considering she usually only takes 1 boob per nursing session, and this is the result from both boobs.

2.) Are you doing any daily "maintenance" to keep up your supply? (e.g.: taking supplements, etc.) If so, do you find that it actually makes a difference to your supply? I take fenugreek, and I drink mother's milk tea. I'm also loving my lactation cookies. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I'm happy to continue this schedule. Particularly the cookies.

3.) How is it going in general? Any current challenges/issues? I've already had a clogged duct, but that was in the first month. It was a crappy few days, but I was able to work it out on my own. Otherwise, I would say that Willa is a more difficult nurser than DD1 was, but she probably can't help that due to her high palette.

February 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1.) Are you pumping? If so - how much do you find that you are pumping at each session? I was pumping once a day anywhere from 4-9 oz every morning, for the past 2 weeks or so, but didn't while we were traveling so today is my first day back to pumping. I'm hoping i can get back to what I was doing so that I can continue to grow my freezer stash.

2.) Are you doing any daily "maintenance" to keep up your supply? (e.g.: taking supplements, etc.) If so, do you find that it actually makes a difference to your supply? I eat oatmeal before I got to bed almost every night and take a lot of Fenugreek each day.

3.) How is it going in general? Any current challenges/issues? Pretty good! No issues with a supply drop this time and I'm thinking it's because we caught the PPT super early this time.

Becky and Brenna - I didn't like BFing my first either until around 6 months or so. It didn't feel good and I felt like it waws one issue after another. To be honest, I don't much love it when they are young. It does get better with time, I promise. One of the things that makes it so much better in the months to come is that they nurse A LOT less. Like only 4-6 times a day for only like 5 minutes each time and you rarely get clogged ducts, strange let downs at the wrong moments or nipple nain.
February 12th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenbelle View Post
Becky and Brenna - I didn't like BFing my first either until around 6 months or so. It didn't feel good and I felt like it waws one issue after another. To be honest, I don't much love it when they are young. It does get better with time, I promise. One of the things that makes it so much better in the months to come is that they nurse A LOT less. Like only 4-6 times a day for only like 5 minutes each time and you rarely get clogged ducts, strange let downs at the wrong moments or nipple nain.
I think that's my biggest annoyance right now. He eats every 2 hours (maybe 2 and a half if I'm really lucky), and it takes him 30-45 minutes each time. I feel like my entire day is spent feeding him. I anticipated him screaming and sleepless nights, but I honestly did not anticipate so much of my day being spent feeding him. My day revolves around when he might eat next. I don't feel comfortable NIP (I don't know how I would at places like the grocery store anyways), so it makes me housebound. If I go anywhere, it has to be quick.
February 12th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Ooh, Lucy, you TOTALLY just gave me an idea for another thread! Check out "Sneaky Mommy Tips".
gardenbelle likes this.

February 12th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks Maggie I'll take any tips I can get! Last night I figured out a way to nurse while making dinner. I felt like super woman, lol.

When do the LOs start eating less frequently?
gardenbelle likes this.
February 12th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Ooh, what's YOUR tip for BF'ing while making dinner, Lucy? I have not mastered BF'ing in the sling even after 2 babies, but I'll take any pointers!

February 12th, 2013, 01:46 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can imagine how much harder and more of a commitment it would be without being able to nurse in public. If I didn't, I don't think I could leave the house either!
Maggie, great about about mommy tips; I am off to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
Thanks Maggie I'll take any tips I can get! Last night I figured out a way to nurse while making dinner. I felt like super woman, lol.

When do the LOs start eating less frequently?
Nice on the nursing while making dinner, go mamma!
As for when they get faster, I can't remember for the life of me, but I do remember that by 5 months, they are super quick but I think it's much quicker than that.
February 12th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Okay, okay, I wasn't really "cooking", I just had to stir and take it off the burner when it was done. I just put him in his sling and used my arm to prop him up, lol.

I'm just taking it one day at a time. It sounds like this should get better soon Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!
gardenbelle likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search