Pumping and thrush

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't pump much, but it seems like every single time I do, I get thrush. How do I clean this darn thing so that it GOES AWAY! I wouldn't be to worried but when I go back to work I'm going to be pumping at least twice a night at work twice a week and I can't live with my nipples hurting this bad all the time.

Daffney

February 12th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Caleb's Mommy!
I've been boiling everything that is boilable and wiping with vinegar. Make sure you dry off the girls really well afterwards, too. It's only been a few days since I finished treatment, so I don't know if it's working, but fx it is. I hope something works for you! Thrush is miserable!
Due with #2 on July 10

February 12th, 2013, 10:32 AM
chomsee
I boiled mine in a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract and thats what we've been using to treat ours. It tastes awful so I feel bad using it on him but the nystatin doesn't work (im sure because of the sugar content) and diflucan is hard on their livers so I refuse to use it. Same with the genetain violet it's essentially a DNA stain after researching it I was scared to use it.

Use a qtip and put 10, 15 or 20 (I'd start with 10 increase over time) drops of grapefruit seed extract in 1 oz of distilled water (that's important) and rub it on his thrush and your nipples (better to rub his mouth before feeds not after and your nipples after so no confusing feeding with the nasty taste. If you use it diligently every hour for 3 days i will clear up. My problem is I forget once its almost gone )

Every hour because I've read the canidida can grow back within 90 minutes. And don't double dip your qtip because you'll contaminate. Also I've been throwing in a few drops into my rinse cycle to kill it all when I wash his clothes and receiving blankets etc.
February 14th, 2013, 07:26 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had issues with thrush, but have you tried Medela's QuickClean steam bags? They're relative inexpensive, reusable (up to 20x per bag I think) and claim to get rid of 99% of bacteria! I use them about 1x per week, but they say you can use them every day!
February 14th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recommend the steam bags as well!! Very simple, cheap, effective.

February 14th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Caleb's Mommy!
Where can you get the steam bags from? That sounds a lot easier than boiling everything all the time!
Due with #2 on July 10

February 14th, 2013, 01:16 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think most big box stores sell them, otherwise check amazon. While you're at it, pick yourself up some of the QuickClean Wipes...they're great for travel (Lucy), and in between pumpings while at work (Daffney). I don't have a place to wash my pump in between daytime pumpings at work (that isn't a bathroom) - and these were a lifesaver both with DD1 and now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search