baby head shape. Abnormal?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By melaniek85

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 04:44 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I may sound crazy but it looks to me like Frankie's head shape is a bit abnormal. I haven't been around many babies or really took notice of their head shapes, so his ma be normal but I don't know. So, he has always had this ridge across the top of his head, from ear to ear and seems more pronounced on the left side. I figured his head was just shaped a little weird but nothing to worry about and the Dr never said anything about it. Yesterday I was looking his head (daddy had accidentally bumped Frankie's head on a door while carrying him, same side different spot) and I thought it looked swollen on bigger on that side. I looked through picture over the last few weeks and the ridge was there, so I thought I was crazy. So today my mom comes to watch him, she hasn't seen him in two weeks, the first thing she says is "His head looks worse, it looks more misshapen. That ridge looks bigger you should have him checked out"...so now I'm freaking out. I plan to call the Dr and ask her about it, see if I should worry. Of course I worry and google, and now I wonder if this is some kind of craniosynostosis. Any way, I'll post pics below, maybe someone can tell me if it looks like a normal funny shaped baby head or if I should worry. Thanks.

February 18th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Maybe I'm just crazy. lol

February 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Actually, I noticed it before on a picture you posted (maybe on FB?) I don't know anything about it but I would probably mention it to your doc. It looks like a plate is overlapping another one or something like that, but again I don't know any of the technical terms. It could be totally normal for all I know! Akadia had the weird head shape where her head keeps going up from her forehead. Would look weird on a boy, but looks great on her now because of how her hair styles so nice because her head isn't flat on top.

February 18th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the response! I don't feel so crazy now. I just figured babies had weird shaped heads but wasn't sure whats normal or not, but didn't think much of his. I hope he just weird head lol. I called the Dr to talk to her about it, to see if she wants to see him or if it's ok to wait till his 4 month appointment, waiting for a call back.

February 18th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran
I've noticed other kids with that so I suspect it is totally normal but I'm not a Dr.

Side note - I have the same bouncy seat Christie loves watching the starfish spin.
February 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Looking at Norah's head now and she has a similar ridge, but it's harder to see in her hair and it doesn't look as pronounced all the way across. I think I've seen that in other babies though and also, pictures always seem to be more detailed than in real life. I look at pics of Norah and think, "Does she really look like that?" It's weird how I see her differently in my lap. Anyway, what I'm saying is that it may look more obvious than it really is.

I'm interested in what your Dr says. Please keep us updated.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

February 19th, 2013, 01:00 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
i think it's completely normal.. it's just the skulls platelets.. there are i believe 5 of them.. 2 in front, 2 in back, (so it looks like a cross on the top of their head, and the part where they all meet, is the soft spot) and then there is a plate in the very back of the head.. it's almost like a knee cap.. this plate is often what gives babies flat heads in the back because of lying down in their crib, in the carseat, bouncer, ect that plate moves under the two back plates and gives a flat head affect.. usually by 1 year, as the brain is still growing and they become more mobile, not lying on their heads as much, the skull rounds out as its still softened (ALL 3 of my kids have had this problem, and even with Dex i restricted him from lying on his head as much as I possibly could, the only time he really did was while he was sleeping at night.. so sometimes it's genetics too because DH nor I have very prominent "hooks" as we call them where the back of the skull extends from the neck)

now this can happen with the two front platelets as it does with the back.. where the other two platelets either underlap, or overlap.. vise versa.. if they are sleeping on their sides a lot it can do this.. usually it's not a worry because as i explained, as they become more mobile and spend less time on their heads, their growing brains push the platelets out and help shape the skull...

craniosynostosis is just where the skull platelets fuse early.. that becomes a problem because it restricts brain growth (this happened to Hunter, and he now has Microcephaly where his skull size is less than 2 percentile i think it is.. his soft spot fused by the time he was 7 months old.. it started fusing around 2.5-3 months.. and was fully fused at 7 months... Van's started to fuse at 7 months ( i THINK the normal is 7+ months when it begins to fuse) and his was fully fused by 8-9 months, so i thought i was going to run into the same problem i had with Hunter.. but completely opposite, Van has a very large head lol

have you noticed if his soft spot on top has gotten smaller?? that is something to keep an eye on.. if it gets smaller, it's signs that it's possibly fusing .. we are watching Dexter's because his seems to have started fusing as well already but he has a really big head as well as is.. but it's nothing to freak out over yet.. the doctors would just like to keep an eye on it IF that is even the case.. worse comes to worse, the kid will have to wear a helmet that helps shape his head.. a LOT of kids need this, but only few actually have them because they cost a pretty penny.. like i said though.. all my kids have had the flatter heads on the back and by the time they were a year old, it rounded itself out.. and as i said, the same thing can happen on the sides as well!
February 19th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Thanks everyone! I think it probably is normal and just the shape of his head. I guess I never really paid close attention to babies head shapes before lol. The Dr said it sounds normal, she's going to take a look at it for me to make sure. But after these responses I feel better.

^ As far as I can tell, his soft spots feel the same, I don't think they've changed. What you're saying makes sense and I think you are right.

February 19th, 2013, 08:58 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ellie has the same thing on her head. Her head was pretty wonky looking at birth, because she was in the birth canal so long, and I wouldn't dilate past 4cm. When we had to take her to the Children's Hospital for CF testing, the doctor there noticed her head, and said just to keep an eye on it, but that it should round out ok. She didn't really say anything about the ridge though.

February 20th, 2013, 12:02 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
here i found this!

BABYFAQ - Newborn Skull
February 20th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Oh, cool. Thanks!

February 20th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Everything is normal. It is just overlapping of the plates, Dr said it will fix itself as his brain grows. He head growth was and has been in 52 nd percentile, so growing normally. Oh and He was 14.5 lbs today, so 2 lb weight gain in a month.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search