A little personal - Birth Control?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Just curious what everyone is currently using for birth control. I'm at a loss for what to do right now. DH is totally anti-condom but I can't go on hormonal birth control because I have nasty reactions to it. I don't really want anything inserted up there either, so we've pretty much been abstinate for lack of knowing what to do. I don't want an oopsie and I don't know when I'm going to ovulate, so not sure how to even plan around the cycle.

February 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ummmm, we don't. We DTD about once a week. I'm watching my CM, but I know that's not as certain for your first PP AF. I'll feel more comfortable if we have an oopsie after the end of April when Sean is 6 months and my OB said it's okay to get pregnant again, but would really want to wait until Sean is a year. We're not even doing pull and pray so we're not ones to model PP birth control off of!

February 28th, 2013, 08:31 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Umm we just finally started dtd again this week. And we realllllly need to start using condoms because I'll freak out if I get pregnant again. We've done pull and pray but obviously that's not reliable(and I don't even consider it birth control).

DH is supposed to get a vasectomy, I don't want anymore kids but somehow I have a hard time doing something so permanent. I don't know what my issue is.

February 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
I'm holding the 10 foot pole. DH is supposed to get the big V, but our medical bills are sky high right now and the therapy bills on top of that make it cost prohibitive. We use condoms, but the thought of an oopsie is enough to give me a panic attack, so basically it's not happening. I'm totally fine with that anyway since I have zero interest. Thankfully, DH is never pushy so it's not an issue right now. I don't know how we are going to afford the V though.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

February 28th, 2013, 11:49 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It hasn't happened enough for me to really worry about it! My cycles are back pretty regular, so I have an idea of when not to, and I'll admit, I doubt I'd get pregnant anyway without clomid again. Unless DH chickens out again, we'll start using clomid again around May / June & see what happens. If I'm not pregnant within 6 months of starting TTC, we'll consider ourselves done.

February 28th, 2013, 12:34 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Um, yeah, we just pull out lol. I bought condoms but we haven't really used them and bc pills turn me into a crazy lady. And we DTD about 5 times a week, won't be a huge surprise if I end of pregnant but that wouldn't be an issue. We did that for a year and didn't get pregnant until we tried.

February 28th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Veteran
I got the Mirena at my 6 week PP visit. My doctor is young (she has 2 young children herself) & that's what she got so that told me that she trusts it enough & likes it enough for herself.

She did say I could BF on it (I was BF when I got it) & could get it out at any time. Also, insurance paid 100% on it, so no more buying BC pills every month.

The only downfall I had was I bled for almost 15 weeks (yes, FIFTEEN weeks) on it. So I bled up until O was 15 weeks old. Now, it wasn't heavy & would quit for 1 day then come back, but still, it sucks. She said since I got it at my 6 week PP checkup instead of just at a random GYN appt, that I have a lower chance of getting AF every month. A lot of PP patients that get it just stop having AF. Woot woot!
February 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We're just doing pull and pray. But I've never ovulated regularly. So I doubt we will get pg without actually trying. Not that I would MIMD. I really want one more.

March 4th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Lex&angels's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Condoms until 2 weeks from now when I'm getting my copper IUD.

March 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran
Condoms because I'm not big on extra meds in my system. Some people get really good about monitoring their biological signs, but knowing my luck, my body would do something funky and we'd end up pregnant. It may be hard to start doing something like that pp since you haven't had a few regular cycles of getting to know your body as prep.
March 4th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran
I have a prescription for the low hormone BC but I've been to busy to fill it. I've spotted a few times but I don't think I'm ovulating yet so we have just been going with P&P. I wasn't on anything for 5+ years so I'm not all that worried about getting pregnant again, especially while EBF. That said if the pill doesn't work for me (hormone allergy) then hubby is going to have to be fixed since I will NEVER have another IUD.
March 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
I'm at a loss also. I'm taking the minipill "errin" right now and it sucks. I hate having to routinely take a pill everyday. But, its progesterone based only and safe for BF and pumping. Prior to TTC I was taking Nuvaring, it has both hormones and I really enjoyed that. Put it in on Day 1 and take it out on Day 28, the next day or so you have your period for 4-5 days then put a new ring in.

However, since you can't take hormonal BC I'm not sure what to recommend :/. Is there any hormonal BC you haven't tried that might have lower doses? I did take Desogen (low hormone BC pill) that was okay. GL!
March 7th, 2013, 12:38 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are just doing pull and pray. Except DH has been forgetting to pull out!!!! So I'm not too thrilled with him. He was pretty anti condom and we tried using them but it wasn't working for us. So I could get pregnant but I'm not too worried. Everything happens for a reason. I wouldn't mind another but I want to wait a little longer. I think DH wants another one though...

[/url

March 7th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Hannah - This is what I have: Erythema Nodosum Causes, Diagnosis, Symptoms, Treatment - MedicineNet

Any birth control taken over a period of time will cause this reaction in me. It's pretty miserable. Basically looked like someone hit my legs with a hammer in various places. It didn't look like that picture, just welts like I ran into the corner of a table. Took me a few years for my legs to look normal again the last time I had it because I actually had indentions left from where the welts were. Few people know that this is a possible side effect of hormonal birth control. I've even met GYN's who have never heard of it. Took them almost a year to diagnose what was wrong with me until an RN finally figured it out (God bless her). So yeah, no birth control pills for me! Even taking the progesterone to sustain Cam's pregnancy was a stretch.

p.s. that picture at the top of the page goes with the skin disorders slide show. That's not what erythema nodosum looks like! yuck...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search