what are my options now.. what would you do?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1fabulousfem

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 07:32 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
So we finally got the neocate today. For those of you who don't know ds1 has a severe milk protein intolerance
. Bleeds internally from it. I'm cutting it out of my diet as of now but for some reason my milk supply really dropped.
So this neocate was our last option formula wise since he bled with Alimentum too.
And he refuses it. Can't say I really blame him, it reeks! I even tried mixing it with half breast milk. And he was really really hungry when I tried it too. dh said to wait and try when you know he's really hungry but he won't drink it :-(
What would you do??
March 1st, 2013, 08:36 PM
babygreenes.mommy
Id talk to the pediatrician about it. They may have suggestions. Hes trying it after being used to breast milk / formula so hes going to naturally reject it.
March 1st, 2013, 09:38 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I would keep trying and maybe start to introduce solids as quickly as possible.

Your poor little one. I hope you get things figured out quickly.
March 2nd, 2013, 02:08 AM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
When Finn's pediatrician thought he had an allergy he started him on Neocate. The only wat I could fet him to touch it was to heat really warm.
I first offered it at night when he was exhausted and he actually took it.
I heard that they can actually flavor the milk but they don't do that here.
I would also start introducing solids!
Mrs.Julie likes this.

March 2nd, 2013, 03:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i'm sorry i'm not caught up - i'm presuming soy milk formula or goat milk are not options?
March 2nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
He does take solids great but was wondering about drinking. I'll try making it really warm! Although I thought it was really warm last night... I'm pretty sure soy and goat milk still have the protein in it.
March 2nd, 2013, 05:26 AM
Mom to Madeline
Yep. Soy and Goat milk does still have milk protein. Sorry you and DS are having a hard time. He will eventually take it. But, you might have to stop BFing in order for him to do so. Keep in mind, there are many hidden dairy ingredients in foods, too...so dairy can be a tricky one to cut out.

I hope it starts taking it soon. But, your Ped might have good advice, too. I'd give them a call.
March 2nd, 2013, 05:50 AM
Yes dairy is in lots of things. I've been cutting it out for about half a year. I'll be so glad to eat normal again! And I'm planning on calling Monday to see if they have any ideas.
March 2nd, 2013, 06:12 AM
Was wondering if almond milk would have enough nutrients in for him..
March 2nd, 2013, 07:24 AM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
I was going to suggest almond milk too but definitely talk to your pedi about that first. Yes cutting out dairy is tricky. My son has been casein free for years.

March 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I think the ladies have covered everything. Am thinking of you and hoping he does better with it soon.

Most formula smells, I hate the smell of Michaela's regular formula so I can't even imagine.

March 3rd, 2013, 01:15 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
My son was on neocate, it took a few days of cold turkey strong arming to get him to drink it. I would keep offering it without another option.

My daughter drinks neocate junior diluted to infant formula when i'm at work. She vomited up the infant stuff. The DHA makes it taste so nasty So that is an option too.

March 3rd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Alicenwonderland- like how many days? Lol I gave up after one day of holding him down, choking, gaging, and crying... Just to get in about three oz. Lol My milk supply has really came back again, so it's really easy to just give in and nurse. Guess when I'm sick and tired of my dairy free diet, it'll be easier to just stick with it. I don't know??
March 3rd, 2013, 03:03 PM
alicenwonderland's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to alicenwonderland
It is hard I'm adding dairy back in right now to see how Cora is doing. But Teddy was like your little one... and it took a long time. He would drink Neocate after about 18 hours. he never like it, but he would drink it. I'm trying to keep Cora on the breast as long as possible. The dairy free doesn't really bother me that much anymore though.

March 4th, 2013, 07:42 AM
acchickpea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wish I could help out with my 2 cents but I'm not sure.... Hope that he takes it well now though....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search