We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I'm not Catholic, but this is clearly headline news regardless of your religion. So I thought it would be nice to deviate on today's current event and post some "need to knows" on the new pope so that you are ready and prepped for dinner tabletime discussion on his background.
BTW, I totally just copied this and pasted it...
Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio was elected as the new pope on Tuesday, taking the name Francis. The 76-year-old son of an Italian immigrant railway worker was the archbishop of Buenos Aires before being selected the 266th pope. So, what’s the new pontiff’s story? Here are 10 things to know about the new head of the Catholic Church.
1. He is the first pope from Argentina, the Americas and the Southern Hemisphere. He is the first Francis, as well as the first Jesuit pontiff.
2. Francis is the first non-European pope since Gregory III, who was born in modern-day Syria, was elected in 731.
3. He has one lung. He had an infection as a teenager, and had one removed.
4. During the last conclave in 2005, he was reportedly the runner-up to the man he is now succeeding, Benedict XVI.
5. The new pope is known for his humble lifestyle. As archbishop of Buenos Aires, he cooked his own meals and rode the bus instead of taking a limo. He also regularly visited the slums outside the city.
6. In 2005, a human rights lawyer filed a complaint alleging Bergoglio was complicit in the 1976 kidnapping of two liberal Jesuit priests by Argentina’s military junta. He flatly denies the charge.
7. He studied philosophy at the Colegio Máximo San José and went on to teach literature and psychology at the Colegio de la Inmaculada in Santa Fe, and the Colegio del Salvador in Buenos Aires
8. Pope Francis is renowned for his 2001 visit to a hospice, where he kissed and washed the feet of AIDS patients.
9. He is a trained chemist.
10. He is fluent in Spanish, Italian and German.
Maggie - Mommy to Marlowe & Willamina