Juliet's First trip to the hospital-- She is ok!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By -Brandy-

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, what a whirlwind last week was!

Juliet woke up Wednesday morning with congested and breathing like a little piggy, after some saline spray and nose suction she was good and I sent her off to the sitters- which is my best friend. Upon getting home that evening she felt a little warm and had a low grade fever of 99.7- she is usually right at 98.8, so definitely low grade. Gave her some tylenol and didn't think too much about it. She has been teething (full on St. Bernard drooling), so do I attribute the congestion to that, or the fever to that...one will never know I guess.

Thursday morning I was feeding her before she left for the sitters and she pooped- first blowout since the newborn days- not a lot of poo just thin. I sent her to the sitters, her 4 month appt was at 2:15 so she was only going for the morning so mommy could get some stuff done. My sitter text me and let me know she had a blowout..at this point I realized something was up and asked her to go ahead and give her tylenol to prep for her appt since she was supposed to get shots.

Picked her up and headed to the dr's office- upon arrival she felt warm but was also wearing a fleece sleeper, due to the blowout, and had been in her carseat with the cover on it. So I got her out of the carseat and unbutton her sleeper some to give some air. The nurse weighed her with a soaking wet diaper on (I was more worried about her being warm than the diaper)- when you only weigh 15-16 pounds a wet diaper makes a 1/2 lb difference in this case. I explained everything from the last 24-48 hours to our doctor. She said the temp and loose stool seemed as though she had a virus but they would check her out- I had a million questions I wanted to ask and in focusing on those didn't realize they never checked her temperature during the visit- a normal well baby occurence. Dr proceeds with shots and once again I didn't think anything of it.

MY POOR KID!! I gave her tylenol again at 6pm, since shots normally make her very restless and crabby. She slept off and on- laying on me- from 6-8. Upon taking her in to change her at 8:15, she was lethargic (just laying on me) and had a temp of 101.3! At previous appts my dr has told me to take her straight to the hospital for anything over 100.5. Called the dr's exchange and 15 minutes later they called back, in the meantime we talked with a friend who works in the E.R. at Children's hospital and he told us to go ahead and take her in. Upon checking in her temp was registering 101.5! All in all everything was ok and they are attributing the temp to the shot even though I kept trying to remind them she had a low grade fever the night before the shots and possibly earlier in the dr's office- but we wouldn't know since they didn't take her temp! Hospital advised I continue tylenol every 4 hours till her fever broke and dropped significantly. They also informed me that the rule of anything over 100.5 go to the hospital is only good up till 4 months (would have been nice if my dr had told me) So every 4 hours he got a dose of tylenol.

Friday morning she had a temp of 100.5- with tylenol in her system. I followed up with her dr's office the and was told that with a fever that low they would suggest letting it go and seeing what happened. If it spiked then give tylenol-- I chose to ignore them and listen to the ER Pediatrician since they chose to ignore my information about her being sick before shots!

Needless to say I am looking for a new pediatrician. In addition to this situation I was left very uneasy by the bullying to supplement with formula when I was trying to breastfeed (which I quit at 1 month due to reduced supply) and also found out that most pediatricians send parents home with developmental milestone and information about what to expect in the next months- my dr does none of this. I had to ask her about teething, she is very much the type of dr that if you don't know to ask then she isn't telling you. As a first time mom this is not the kind of dr I need or want.

A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

March 25th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Super Mommy
I am so sorry you guys had to go threw that. Poor litttle poopers!
I also fired my pediatrician. The doctor more or less told me that If I did not agree with everything her and the other doctors opinions , then she told me I needed find another practice. I have NO idea WHAT she was talking about.But I took that as my time to make an exit!!!
March 26th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Sorry you had to deal with all that! Poor little girl. I can't really say I'm all that thrilled with my ped either, but we only have one office in the area so no choices. Hope she is on the mend!

March 26th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So scary! I'm glad everything is okay! It does sound like a change of pedi is in order. I'm surprised they weigh her with a diaper on. Mine always weighs Sean naked.

March 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
So scary! I'm glad everything is okay! It does sound like a change of pedi is in order. I'm surprised they weigh her with a diaper on. Mine always weighs Sean naked.
Same here. They never weighed either of my girls in diapers. I think they only started that at Akadia's 2 year appointment.

March 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies, normally they make sure its a dry diaper- not this time.

I know I am her parent, I just think I should be able to rely on my pediatrician to guide me--- not lead me into a wall unless I ask her not to.

Juliet is doing great and back to her old self!
Leanne78 likes this.

A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search