Rolling over?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 08:55 AM
Durango14's Avatar ♥ Expecting #2 ♥
Calla has been rolling over back to tummy since she was about 3.5 months old. She even sleeps on her belly (I always lay her down on her back but she immediately rolls over). But she's never rolled over from tummy to back, though. I keep reading that its supposed to be easier to go belly to back so I'm wondering why she can't do it yet. Any tips on how to help her along?

April 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I have the same issue. Frankie did roll belly to back like twice when he was almost 2 months, but not again since. About two weeks ago he started rolling back to belly, and still doing it and has gotten pretty good at it. Still no belly to back. I actually ask the Dr about it and she explained to me that some babies now take longer to roll from belly to back. She said it has to do with putting baby on their backs to sleep, so they learn back to belly first. When they were put to sleep on their bellies back in the day, they would usually roll belly to back first. I was told not to worry, he'll get it eventually and they don't really look at belly to back rolling as a big deal anymore. He's rolling to belly great and sitting without support, so I'm not worrying about the rolling to back too much. The only things is that it's really annoying because he doesn't like being on his belly, so he'll roll, can't get back and cries. lol.

I'm not sure what you can do to encourage it. I've been trying to do tummy time more often, and placing toys next to him right out of reach hoping he'll roll for it. It's not working, though lol, he's just pulling himself toward the toys.

April 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One thing we did is put Sean on a blanket and lift one side of the blanket to encourage rolling. Just do it slowly and put a hand under her head as she's rolling since she could hit her head if you're not careful. We also go to Gymboree and practice rolling on an incline mat. Sean can roll across the room now, but it took until 4.5 months and my friend said her daughter didn't start doing that until 6 months, so there is still plenty of time.

April 1st, 2013, 05:51 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Tori has not rolled either way yet so no help on how to encourage your LO to roll over.

April 1st, 2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran
I would help Christie roll then make a big fuss of cheering when she did. I think rolling scared her a bit at first so she could do it but didn't like the last thump of the roll. Enough cheering and she decided it was fun, now I can't keep her on her belly for tummy time!
April 1st, 2013, 08:15 PM
Super Mommy
Mine can roll both ways but only does it out of necessity. He is focused on standing.
April 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I am in no way encouraging. I tell her, just stay where you are at kiddo! Enjoy laying around all day while you can. In absolutely no hurry to have to worry about her rolling around and crawling.

April 2nd, 2013, 08:36 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In my experience, there's nothing you can do to really encourage them if they're not ready to do it. She'll do it when she wants to and is ready.

April 2nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
We just encouraged her with toys. But she's a tummy sleeper so she learned the belly to back quickly. The back to belly is new to her. She's only done it a few times purposefully while playing on her mat. I'd just give it some time, she'll figure it out
April 2nd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Enceinte2012's Avatar Super Mommy
Addy has no interest in rolling over whatsoever. She still hates being in her back at all. Just recently, she started to enjoy tummy time - because she pushes herself up and rocks back and forth getting ready to crawl! She is gonna be on the move real soon!!

~*~Meghann~*~
Proud Mommy to Amber and Addyson

April 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ellie just started doing belly to back, mainly because she hates being on her tummy and was desperate to get off it! She's yet to go back to belly, although she's giving it a good try!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search