Helping to host a baby shower.. need ideas and advice! ~HELP!~

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1fabulousfem
  • 2 Post By Mountain~Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 11:41 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
This is going to be long... SORRY!

When my nephew and his SO announced at Thanksgiving that they were expecting I told her that I wanted to host a baby shower for them. I didn't care what type of shower it was (couple shower, family, co workers, friends, etc) Back when I had my first kids people had several showers and invited people from certain groups to each shower. About two months ago I got a text message from my nephew's stepmom saying she was hosting a shower and wanted to know if I wanted to help with it. She wanted me to be in charge of doing games. I think "GREAT" and let her know that would be fine.

About a week ago I asked what type of shower we were going to be doing (couple shower, family, co workers, friends, etc) so I can plan the games. She asks the SO what type of shower she wants and comes back saying she wants a "traditional" shower where she sits and opens presents, passes them around and has a few minutes to visit with everyone. Okay, that is fine. No games which is what I was in charge of but I can do other things.

Yesterday I received the list of addresses so I can get envelopes printed (I would have had this professionally done if it were up to me!) and ready to be mailed at the end of this week. Well, the list had over 75 people and she was still gathering more addresses! I about fell to the floor! So, I asked if this was her only shower or if she was having others and this is going to be her only shower (never found out why she isn't doing several small showers).

My hubby told me not to try to take over (I'm like a party planner extremest and really want all the details to be perfect) and just go with whatever the other 2 hostesses were doing.

So... this is where I need the help!!! Did anyone have a shower this large?? Even if only half of the people show that is still 50 people in one house. It is a large house but no way will 50 people be able to watch her open present all in one rooms. And, with 50 presents it is going to take her the whole time just to open gifts. What are the guests going to do when she is opening gifts (for 2 hours!). I can't imagine standing and watching her for 2 hours (even with a baby and thinking everyting is cute). She should have done a come and go so people wouldn't feel like they need to stay.

To me this is going to be a nightmare for the guests! I figure snacks will be in one room and presents in another. What in the world can I plan to make this an enjoyable experience for the guests and not seen just like a "bring me presents'" deal.

Help! Help! Help! Any ideas or suggestions to make this nightmare work would be great!

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

April 1st, 2013, 12:37 PM
afwifey09's Avatar proud momma to Ava Kay
Yeah, that sounds miserable. I don't have any advice for you except maybe just casually suggest some way to split it up if they insist on that large of a shower. I just know, as a guest, I would not want to watch someone open presents for that long.
April 1st, 2013, 12:40 PM
1fabulousfem's Avatar Mommy to Finn + 1!
I had a huge shower but that is because I have a huge family and it was in a little sports center hall.
While I opened the gifts dessert was served and we had games at the same time.
I have no clue how this would work in a home though!
one.juniper likes this.

April 1st, 2013, 12:49 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I'm not a fan of these kind of showers (no offense to those that have had this type, its just not as fun for some guests).

I would suggest a few things to do while opening gifts. Such as coming up with different advice for the mom-to-be (written down and gathered at the end for her to keep), answering a questionaire about the mom-to-be with a prize, and maybe some other quiet games. And of course ensure food/drink are available.

Would they consider renting a hall? That many people in a house sounds like a nightmare - most people won't be able to see!

You'll have to let us know how it goes!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I don't have any ideas I'm afraid, we don't do showers over here and the milestone parties that we have, I've never heard of everyone having to sit and watch while someone opened ALL their presents. I think Jess's suggestions of having a low-key activity for them to do while that goes on might help. I bet the other hostesses are thinking the same really but nobody dares say anything, what an awkward situation. I hope it surprises you and turns out to be fun in the end!

April 1st, 2013, 04:19 PM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
Whoa! That does sound like a nightmare. I don't have any real suggestions. I prefer the "open house" type of shower format. I actually loathe having people watch me open gifts. At my shower, it was an open house format. When I opened gifts, the hostesses just displayed them in one part of the room so people could see everything that was received without feeling compelled to watch the whole thing. They had food and drinks and chatted while I opened presents. I also didn't want cheesy games, but people were invited to write their "words of wisdom" on note cards and place them in a basket for me to take home. That sure wouldn't distract folks for very long in your situation though.

April 2nd, 2013, 03:29 AM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
I have nooo idea but wanted to say and good luck!!

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (16) and K (11), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our 1st together in 2015.
April 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
Thanks everyone.

The other two that are hosting don't see anything wrong with this "traditional" shower set up. I just think it seems greedy.

It apparently gets worse! Last night I suggested the words of wisdom or maybe something else quiet as she was opening presents and people were having snacks. I was told that she wants everyone to watch her open presents (not eating or writing). She is going to open some and then take a break and let everyone have snacks, visit for a few minutes and then open the rest of the presents.

She apparently wants to be the full center of attention. I guess this is fine because it is her shower.

I'll just bring my nuts and mints (yes this is what I was told I was in charge of!) and hide in a corner. I"m sure I'll be the one helping people slide out!

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

April 2nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
Oh man I wish you luck!! Sounds like a nightmare! I'd bring a bottle of wine to go with those nuts and mints!!
afwifey09 and Mom2JDub like this.
April 2nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I second the wine!

My least favourite part of showers was opening presents! After my last baby shower I said I was super glad I would never have another shower since I hate that part!

Hopefully it passes as quickly as possible and you can move on.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 2nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Mom2JDub's Avatar (formerly junie22)
I had to laugh at the nuts and mints part. The one absolute stipulation that I gave my shower organizers was none of those disgusting mints!

April 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
... that is a LOT of people. I have no advice on that one. I think there were maybe 20 at my shower and I found it took a lot of time to open gifts as it was.

You have to games ok. You need to do the games WHILE she is opening the gifts so your 75 guests do not get bored. Who cares what she says.

I suggest tagging every gift with a number and letter as the guests arrive and playing a big game of bingo while she opens them. That's what we did. This game is not nearly as distracting as others might be because guests are paying attention to the gift-opener and waiting for her to call the number. She can even call it at the end of each gift if she likes to make sure she holds their attention the entire time.

Oh and I know its a baby shower but I also suggest you serve alcohol and have some sparkling apple juice for the mom-to-be.

Pinterest
Flickr

Last edited by one.juniper; April 2nd, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
April 2nd, 2013, 08:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes this is a nightmare! I am a party planner too, I think I would have a hard time with this. I would bring my stupid mints and then you would find me rocking the coffee mug full of wine in a corner making fun of everyone. (heehee)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search