New Spectra Model Out

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Leanne78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Or will be as of April 9th. When I was looking for a new pump a few months back, I kind of wanted this one but it wasn't available in the states yet and was brand new overseas. Just saw that it comes out next week on Amazon. I really like my Spectra Dew, but it takes me a while to letdown since it doesn't have a let down phase. It works wonderful once I let down though because the suction is so much better than a Medela and it's a nice long suction instead of the super quick Medela cycle. I've been using the Medela though because of the letdown phase. On this new pump, they finally added on a letdown phase and you can control both the suction strength and the cycle length. And it has a nightlight. Hmm.... DH would kill me if I bought another pump!

Amazon.com: Spectra Baby USA S2 Hospital Grade Double/single Breast Pump NO TOTE: Baby

Here's the main website: http://www.spectrababyusa.com/#! The pump is more expensive there because it comes with a bag.

Last edited by Leanne78; April 3rd, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
April 2nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
How did you learn about this brand in the first place? Absolutely curious about this brand now.

April 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Veteran
Oh wow, I love the idea of adjusting the cycle length! I have a medela and it feels so inefficient to me.
April 2nd, 2013, 06:16 PM
I was looking for a hospital grade closed system pump where the milk cannot get into the tubes or motor. Came across this brand on amazon when researching pumps and read a lot of good things about it. The one I have looks like a boob which makes me laugh everytime I use it. It is called a Spectra Dew. I'm using that right now because my Medela fried last night. Aside from the lack of a letdown phase, I would say the Dew is very comparable to the Medela Symphony. This new one sounds like it will be even better and doesn't cost $1,500 like the Symphony. I used a Symphony while in the hospital.

April 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd never heard of it. Sounds awesome! My Medela's letdown button doesn't work so I just turn it off and back on again since the rest works fine and I got it through insurance. That's cheaper than the Medela cost in store, though!

April 2nd, 2013, 07:32 PM
Here's my current Spectra pump:

April 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
I think I recall you posting about its noise level compared to the Medela after you received it. Remind me of its noise level.

April 2nd, 2013, 08:13 PM
This one is really quiet. The loud one was the travel one that is rechargeable - called a spectra 9. Works good just a bit noisier. That is my back up in case the power goes out. I keep it charged. After dealing with mastitis, I have back ups for my back up!

April 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
I want to order one now. My Medela is over four years old. Hmm.

Last edited by Cocoa Sashimi; April 3rd, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
April 3rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
If I didn't have the Dew, I would have already ordered one.

April 3rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
Veteran
Do you find that different pumps work better than others or is it just a comfort issue? I can't justify the extra cost just for comfort but if it works better and I can cut back on the length of my pumping sessions I'm going to figure out a way to get it in the budget.
April 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
I know it sounds silly, but I think my boobies get tired of the same pump all the time. After a while, I actually do better when I switch to a different one - although it sometimes takes a few sessions to get used to how the new pump works. I've been having a lot of problems pumping the last two weeks because all of the milk wasn't coming out and I kept getting "backed up" and sore. My Medela plug went on the fritz the other night and after using the Spectra Dew for 2 days, I'm all cleared out. I still have to massage though which is so frustrating. I wish there was a way for my boobies to respond to a pump without having to press down on them to get the milk going.

If the Spectra Dew had a letdown function, I would definitely like it better than the Medela. So this new one may be really good since it has that and it has the options to changed the cycle length. That's another big difference between the Medela and this new one (and the old one for that matter). The Medela has a really short cycle rate, so basically, it sucks in and out pretty fast. The Spectra does it slower, so you have a longer "suck" before it lets go and does it again. I find that that pulls out more milk where the Medela cuts the stream short and I think that is part of my problem with getting backed up. You can adjust the cycle rate on this new pump which is a feature I really would like. But I'm like you, I'm not sure I can justify getting another pump just for a few new features when the one I have works fine - and it will only cost me about $17 to get a new plug for my Medela.

Last edited by Leanne78; April 3rd, 2013 at 10:14 AM.
April 3rd, 2013, 08:22 PM
After reading the extensive review on Amazon, I am definitely purchasing this pump to replace my Medela.

April 4th, 2013, 06:21 AM
You'll have to give us a review when you get it! I finally found my other adapter for my Medela and the pump works so thankfully, it wasn't damaged when the other adapter fried. So I'm back to using that now because as much as I like the Spectra Dew, I NEED that letdown feature. I've been tempted to hook up to the Medela, do the letdown and then switch over to the Spectra. What a pain though.

April 4th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Just as a heads up, the link I posted is to the one without the bag or extra items. I already have 2 bags and a ton of bottles and stuff, so wasn't looking at the option with the bag and extra bottles etc.

This is the one with the tote, cooler and extra bottles: http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Baby-U...ra+breast+pump

Last edited by Leanne78; April 4th, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
April 4th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Having trouble accessing the link on my phone. Pumping during lunch at the moment and cannot reach my laptop. Does it just come with two bottles?

April 4th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I can't find an item listing on the one without the tote but it says it has everything you need to double-pump so it should have two of everything. The one with the tote, looks like it comes with the bag, a cooler and at least 5 bottles. The pumps I bought (The Spectra 9 and Dew) came with a ton of stuff. I think I ended up with like 12 bottles between the 2 pumps, extra tubing, the coolers you name it. Honestly though, I use all my Medela stuff instead because I'm used to my Medela 27mm flanges. Spectra sells these little filters for the Spectra 9 that you just push on to the tubing, you can literally just cut the Medela tubing, pop the filter in between the two cut pieces and voila, you have a closed system collection kit.
Cocoa Sashimi likes this.

April 4th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Here's a picture of how I converted the Medela flanges to work with the Spectra pumps. The filter is attached between the Medela tubing and the Spectra tubing that goes into a "T" connector for double pumping (can't see that part in the picture). That round filter you see at the top is the one that comes with the Spectra Dew and the new Spectra S2. Those filters don't attach to the Medela flanges, so you have to use the other ones if you want to keep it a closed system and still use your Medela parts. I think you can order those from either Amazon or directly from Spectra. I need to get a few more myself as replacements soon. And for anyone who wants to keep milk or moisture from getting into their Medela pumps, you could also use those little filters with the Medela pump. You just cut about a 2 inch section off of the end of the tubing before it goes into the flanges and then insert the filter between the cut pieces and never have to worry about milk backflowing again.

Last edited by Leanne78; April 4th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
April 14th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks for ALL the information and the visuals!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search