led weaning ?'s

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By BrooklynBump
  • 1 Post By burnbot
  • 1 Post By tricia_16_

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have seen a lot of new advertising for this. I have been reading about it and am really considering using this method for Zoey. Anyone else plan to do it? I know I have seen a few of you talking about solid food. I am curious to see what everyone else is doing. Making or buying baby food? Do you give baby juice? Cow's milk?
Zoey has only ever had BM and formula and I am not sure when I want to introduce something new.

April 9th, 2013, 11:34 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I'm going to try baby led weaning and see what happens - but I wont be giving her anything at all until at least 6 months.

My plan is to start sitting her in a high chair just so she gets used to "dinnertime" once she can sit up easily on her own. After a little while of just watching us eat, I'll start the food part. Until she is a year old she doesn't really need food for nutrition so this seems like a good way to get her used to different tastes/textures and the process of eating with adults.

I don't have any moral objection to rice cereal or purees but it just seems a lot easier to go right to real food if possible.

But I think every baby is different so we'll see what kind I have when I start in 3 months time.
burnbot and mlc52811 like this.

April 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm basically going to be trying the same approach that stefanie just described. I'm going to be sitting her in her high chair at the table with us when we eat and letting her explore baby friendly versions of what we are eating (no spices, etc). It's supposed to be great for their fine motor skills, so it seems like a good approach! We'll see how it works out.

April 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That sounds pretty close to what I have in mind. The only difference is that Zoey doesn't have a high chair so she sits in her bumbo seat for now while I eat. We don't usually get to eat dinner as a "family" because DH is in med school and is always studying, volunteering, or at school during meal times. We went on vacation for a week and my SIL came. She has a 5 month old and was feeding him baby food and Zoey kept squealing and yelling like she wanted it too but I didn't let her have any because I know she doesn't "need" it. I think it's just general interest in food, not so much that she actually NEEDS to have it. My MIL and SIL keep thinking I am crazy for wanting to skip out on baby food and go right to the real thing. I just think it might make for better eating habits from what I have read. It also helps to prevent childhood obesity. We shall see how it goes I guess.
mlc52811 likes this.

April 16th, 2013, 07:50 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
We did a little bit of both BLW and baby food with dd.

When we would go out for breakfast, we would give her some strips of toast to chew on. We gave her mashed potatoes, cheerios, baby puffs, the MumMum cookies, Eggos, pancakes, french fries, carrots (whole carrots, not mashed or cut up or anything), celery, and lots of other stuff to eat as snacks or meals. If we didn't have anything we made that she would eat (say, wings and fries) then we would give her baby food to make sure she got enough.

We offer apple juice (1/4 juice, 3/4 water) as recommended by our dr to help with constipation.

She has never choked on any food we've given her, and we plan to let Tucker eat exactly the same way
burnbot likes this.
April 17th, 2013, 12:13 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did BLW with Penny and she started solids at around 8-9 months with regular food. Watermelon is a great one to start out with btw.
For James, we'll see what he prefers, but I think I am going to do a mix of purees and BLW? IDK, we'll see how it goes! I think it's coming up soon - he seems like he is getting ready for solids in the next month or two.

April 17th, 2013, 06:11 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Sounds like what we'll be doing, Mary. We are currently (very slowly) starting with purees for "breakfast" but when he hits 6 months we'll do BLW for the other two meals.
Due with #2 on July 10

April 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Veteran
I've been reading up on this too. Right now, our plan is nothing but BM until at least the 6 month mark and then follow our pediatrician's advice on solids. I plan to make her food when she is on solids, and hope to continue to breastfeed throughout the first year. Right now, we are also putting her in her highchair between us at meal times, specifically when we sit down to dinner together, so she can become familiar with that routine....though I'm pretty sure it's not dong much except keeping her entertained right now!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search