Percentiles...?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM
chomsee
My son was born on Dec 22nd weighing in at 9 lbs 5 oz, 21 1/4 long. He was in the 95th percentile for both.

I dont take my son to the Dr, but he has a wellness check up on thursday because my mom wouldnt drop it. I think shes hoping the ped will convince us to vaccinate. Shes really shocked that we are refusing (He will be about 4 months old) We took him in at 3 months for gas and he weighed in at 11.6 oz, dropping to the 5-10th percentile. His clothes fit him well in length and sometimes hes a few months ahead but he sure is a skinny minnie.
Anyone else have such a drastic drop in percentile? Hes EBF, and his dad has a very high metabolism (he was born 6lbs tho but the weight gain as babies seem to be at the same rate and pictures of him hes very slender as well.)
April 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
wow, that is a major drop! What did the ped say about it?

Caleb was born in the 50th for weight and 75th for length, and he's still 50th and 75th. He's following his growth curve perfectly.

April 14th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I had the understanding of it that ebf babies grow more in the first two months and then typically drop down in percentage. That is how the growth charts for EBF babies looks anyways. I honestly would be very concerned with that huge of a drop off in percentile. A weight drop off that big or at that low of percentile is considered failure to thrive by my peds definitions. Did they have anything to say about it at his last appt? I would definitely bring it up at the upcoming one.
taatie10 likes this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
April 15th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Nervous Newbie's Avatar Super Mommy
Ummm so he has only gained 2 lbs in 3 mths?? What size clothes is he wearing that fit him well?
April 15th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
are you sure they had his weight right. my ped would have hospitalized the twins right then and there. hopefuly you get some answeres when you go back

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

April 15th, 2013, 09:23 AM
The Truth is out There
If Maggie had only grown 2lbs in that amount of time, our ped would have put her in the hospital and possibly called child services on me.
Did the dr say anything about it?
taatie10 likes this.

April 15th, 2013, 09:33 AM
The Truth is out There
Sorry if that came out as attacking, I just woke up. Not trying to attack you or anything, I just have a hard time talking properly when I wake up. LOL

April 15th, 2013, 11:12 AM
chomsee
Quote:
Originally Posted by May14th2011 View Post
If Maggie had only grown 2lbs in that amount of time, our ped would have put her in the hospital and possibly called child services on me.
Did the dr say anything about it?
April 15th, 2013, 11:26 AM
chomsee
I guess I'll try and explain the situation again. He was 9.5 at birth yes, but he was still quite small. His arms and legs are skinny. He eats very well, has the recommended number of wet diapers. He never has had me concerned about being dehydrated (uric crystals..etc)

He was weighed at birth, lost about 10% before leaving the hospital and a lactation consultant came to our house on Dec 26th (his bday was the 22nd) and he was weighed again and he was gaining (They were concerned because he had a severe tongue tie and I had a C section so my milk took a lil while to come in) He had gained the 10% back and then some. We didn't even supplement the recommended doses of formula because I had faith in my own milk to do the trick.

When he was around 3 months he screamed at a certain hour (lasting about 4) everynight for a week. We took him to urgent care, thats when he weighed 11.6. Noone seemed concerned, they even commented on how alert and strong he was. The Dr said it was just gas.

Now this Thursday will be his 1st visit with his ped. My husband and I aren't huge fans on western medicine and care so we haven't taken him.

2 Months

This was taken the other day

He seems to be hitting all of his milestones. To me he looks like a happy healthy baby. I have an appointment with the Dr to make sure, and I just came on here to see what everyone had to say. I was sure justmommies motta was the friendliest places for moms and moms to be, maybe I was wrong.
April 15th, 2013, 11:32 AM
chomsee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Newbie View Post
Ummm so he has only gained 2 lbs in 3 mths?? What size clothes is he wearing that fit him well?
Lengthwise 3-6 months (more on the 6 month end). Pictured above with the bulldog is 6 months.
April 15th, 2013, 12:15 PM
The Truth is out There
I wasn't trying to offend, just noting what my pediatrician would have done.

April 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
chomsee
But, child protective services? Honestly? And my son hospitalized? Then, you have nothing other to say that you 'just woke up' and that's how you speak to other mothers on this board after just waking up. And cannot even muster more than you're not trying to offend. Not even a real apology. Being another human being on this planet and a mother yourself, I figured you and other on this board would have the decency to feel empathy and more than point a solid finger at another.

Thank-you for aiding in my decision to not only leave this playroom but to have my account terminated as well.
April 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM
The Truth is out There
I'm sorry for coming off as rude. Don't leave because of me. I honestly wasn't trying to be rude, but I do know that sometimes I can come off that way.

April 15th, 2013, 10:28 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I would surely mention if not make an appt special for it, if it was me, I would be very concerned.
My LO was IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction) so she started out at 13% and dropped to 4% 2 days after birth. Because of that I did a lot of research into failure to thrive. It sounds to me like failure to thrive.

Working in the medical field I have to say, Urgent Care would not mention anything about concern for his weight unless it was absolute severe as they are only treating for the urgent matter.

If I am coming off mean or anything negative in any way I am not intending to. I'm just stating my thoughts since you asked.

April 16th, 2013, 06:37 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
He is breastfed you said? I went through weight gain problems with my LO and was told that baby is expected to gain at least 0.6oz per day, up to 1 oz per day (is the normal range). If you go from birth, (estimating each month has 30 days) he should have gained at least four pounds by now.

If you don't want to bring him to the doctor (which would be recommened by pretty much everybody, I think lol) I suggest only nursing him on one breast per nursing session. That way he will get more of the fatty hindmilk instead of just the foremilk, and that will help him gain weight.

Good luck
April 16th, 2013, 07:00 AM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
firstly, he is adorable! secondly, I wouldn't be concerned looking at him objectively. He looks healthy and happy to me! Of course, I know photos are different than real life, but I would just go with my gut if I were you. You know your little guy best. I think he looks healthy, though
Twist likes this.

April 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
He looks long and lean like my little guy I do know of somebody whose baby was born at a normal weight and length, but then simply wasn't gaining weight properly. Even though she's a happy baby and was meeting all of the milestones, her growth was still a major concern for the ped. Please keep us posted on what the ped says, I hope it's nothing to be concerned about! I'll say a prayer for your sweet fella.

I hope you will reconsider your decision to leave us. We do want to get to know you more!

April 16th, 2013, 10:18 AM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to say, my son was born at a little over 6lbs. At either 6 or 9 month checkup (can't remember) he started flat lining on the charts (he too was also EBF) He only weighed around 12 lbs or so. They diagnosed him with FTT (failure to thrive) We put him on one bottle of nutramigen (sp) a night and he started gaining that weight, now he is a little tank, lol. I do know since he was diagnosed with FTT insurance covered the formula. Just wanted to put that out there for you. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me!

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

April 16th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Personally, he looks fine to me! FTT babies usually arent hitting milestones and look "sickly". He is a little guy, but that's ok! As long as he IS gaining, he should be fine. Have you contacted an LC about it? They might be more helpful if you are BFing than a ped might be.
Crystallee likes this.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

April 16th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Follow up LC visits are a great idea after the doc. Brilliant miss Hilary.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search