Wedesday GTKY

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Are you close to your parents?

What do you plan to do different/the same from your parents in raising your baby?

I'm pretty close to my parents although I will say the relationship has been a little strained since they both retired. They basically sit at home and watch Fox news all day and get all riled up. So anytime I see them, that is all they talk about and I HATE talking politics. So I feel like there's this disconnect now. They've also been out of the working world for long enough that I think they forget what it was like. They need some happy pills.

I can actually see myself being a little stricter than my parents were which is funny cuz' I always thought they were sooo strict. This world is getting crazier and crazier though. I can't imagine letting my girls do some of the stuff I used to. It just isn't safe anymore.

April 17th, 2013, 04:34 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Are you close to your parents? My mom, yes! Very close to my mom. My father, no. Do not have a relationship with him. My choice. I feel he is a very bad man. The worst part is he is a pastor. He is like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

What do you plan to do different/the same from your parents in raising your baby? Probably just be more involved. My mom was a single parent who worked 2 jobs to raise us in the best area. She was pretty absent! I am a stay at home mom so I am very involved with my kids school and everything they do.

April 19th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Are you close to your parents? I am close to my mom now. We were never close growing up and even for a long time after having my son. She was very critical of my parenting choices and I basically refused to let her see my kids even though she lives pretty close to us. When she stopped being critical, we got very close. Not like we talk every day, or even every week, but I feel like I can tell her anything. My dad is o.k. too, but he's always so stressed out with work and has a terrible temper (always has.) Plus he's a little crazy politically so I avoid that topic completely.

What do you plan to do different/the same from your parents in raising your baby?
I do catch myself saying the same things my mom said to me, but ultimately my parenting is a total opposite of how I was raised. We homeschool vs. my sister and I were latch-key kids. We are vegetarians vs. my family ate a LOT of junk fast food. We do all the attachment parenting vs. my parents were very much about CIO and not spoiling, children were to be seen, not heard, etc. I could go on, but you probably get the picture. I think I'm much closer to my kids than my parents ever were with me, but there are still the teenage years to go through! My son and I fight a lot, but we are still very honest and open with each other too. He says he's never moving out, so I guess I'm doing something right. I couldn't wait to leave my parents for as long as I can remember.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

April 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm close to my dad and grew closer to my mom over the past year or two. I'm glad we got to bond over Sean before she died.

I try to be more patient than my mom was. My dad has always been awesome so I try to be like him.

April 20th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm so close to my mom, she's one of my best friends. My dad not so much, we talk maybe once every month or two but he's not around and hasn't been since I was about 11.

I think I'll do a lot differently... I had a ton of drama and violence in my life growing up, so did Josh and I don't want ANY of that in her life. I refuse to argue with anyone in front of her. She's going to come across enough bad in the world when she's out on her own, I don't want to hurry that process at all. I won't be as strict as my dad, but more strict than my mom. My mom was super lenient and just wanted us to be happy, even if that meant agreeing to stuff she really shouldn't have, I didn't respect her at all as a teen and I gave her hell... but my dad was pretty abusive and strict and thought of it as "tough love" We are against spanking, though we were both spanked, and we want to take a more natural approach to parenting. I think a little respect and patience will go a long way with kids. So, gentle parenting, set guidelines, no drama, no violence. We want to create a loving stable and calm home for our kids. Something neither of us TOTALLY had.

April 21st, 2013, 07:57 AM
Veteran
1. I'm really close with my mom... my dad died when I was only 7....
2. Same- I plan on limiting junk/processed foods as my mom did while we were growing up... A mcdonald's visit was rare, but when we did go we appreciated it and were only allowed milk to drink there until our teenage years....
Different-Our house was pretty chaotic after my dad passed away.. Before he died, she was a stay at home mom but she went back and finished her college degree after my dad died, and worked full time as a nurse(including rotating shifts) and worked a 2nd job as well for quite a few years... I want our house to be more calm... I hope to not work as much either so I don't feel like I miss out on her childhood...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search