Having a hard time right now

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
Hi moms, I haven't posted here since I had baby but I really need to vent somewhere to regain some sanity. I have friends and family that I can talk to, but sometimes I feel like I need to keep things to myself to feel like I am doing things right. Which I know is not a great way to do things but I guess that's why I am starting here. First of all, breast feeding has been a constant struggle with my LO. But I have worked my way up to EBF for the last 2 months or so. But now he seems to be hungry all the time and not napping well, partly because he's hungry and partly because he is cosleeping at night and only sleeps well when he's laying beside me, which I cannot do all day because I have a two year old. So I've been giving him formula again. And now tonight has been the first night in months that I didn't have enough breast milk at night so I had to get a bottle. So now I feel like I'm at a crossroads and I don't know if I keep up with my cosleeping and breast feeding all day to get the milk up routine, or to go the other way and just give up and give him formula and start getting him to sleep in his own bed now. Its almost 4am and I can't sleep for the first time since he was born and the anxiety worries me, which is like a vicious cycle. And my poor LO is so irritable and sleep deprived I don't know what to do. I feel like a really horrible mother right now who can't make enough milk for her baby and can't handle the stress anymore.
April 25th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Caleb's Mommy!

I'm sorry, hun. We didn't get off to a great start with bf either, it's a lot harder than I thought it'd be! Congrats on being able to ebf for a time, I'm sure you worked very hard to accomplish that. You've provided a lot of breastmilk for baby, and you shouldn't feel guilty for giving some formula. You're doing great! Have you met with a lactation consultant? One would probably provide the best advice.

As for the sleeping, I don't have any advice, but I know a lot of our babies are going through the four month sleep regression. It really sucks, I know, but you're not alone. Hopefully LO will get to sleeping well soon.
Due with #2 on July 10

April 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're having such a rough time! Like Lucy said, you've done a great job at giving your son breastmilk so far! Don't feel guilty about supplementing or swapping. You have tried so hard, even though it's been difficult. That's commitment! I also would suggest seeing a lactation consultant. I go to a nursing class a few times a month and it has been a great support system.

April 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time. You definitely shouldn't feel guilty, though. You've done a great job! We're just coming out of the 4 month sleep regression (fingers crossed!). Yes, it's really rough when they fight sleep so much. My little girl will take naps, but only on me lately, so I haven't been able to get much done lately and I can't imagine doing this with a toddler as well. Hopefully this phase will be ending soon!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

April 25th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Juneleigh's Avatar Veteran
Thank you ladies. I had no idea there is a 4 month sleep regression, that makes a lot of sense, and it's a relief to know that it is normal. He looks so sleep deprived right now, all red and blotchy and jumpy. I did see a lactation consultant twice, that was part of the hard work lugging a toddler and hungry baby for an hour drive each way as that is the closest to me. Lol. Thanks again. Hope you babies sleep well for you soon too.
April 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I supplement with formula for Zoey when I have a hard time with milk. Don't feel bad. I did at first but I see that she is healthy and she is getting the largest amount of BM I can give her. It's normal for him to be having sleep troubles. Hopefully that will pass soon. We are here anytime you need us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search