Unsolicited Advice

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
What's the worst unsolicited advice you have gotten since having your baby?

It's not really advice per say, but I've had several people (at work and at home) tell me it's time to quit that whole "breastfeeding/breastmilk thing" like it's some weird hippy fad I was into. They tell me she doesn't need breast milk anymore now that she's almost 6 months. Love the educated masses....

May 7th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Veteran
Gotta love that! So many people are uneducated on infants and the world in general... Frustrating.... I had a lady tell me a few weeks ago to give m a frozen waffle to chew for teething?! What? Really? The choking hazard alone...
May 8th, 2013, 07:03 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate people's comments when I wear her! "Poor thing! I'd hate to be all packed up like that." or "That has to be uncomfortable for her."

Yesterday, I was shopping and she started fussing. Store clerk swore I was "Pinching her arm" with the wrap. She followed me around the store offering "advice". I swore she was going to call cps before I could get Ellie unstrapped & get her a bottle, which was all that was wrong!

May 9th, 2013, 07:29 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Mostly from my mom. She kept pushing to give him food at a month old, because I had it and I'm fine. I was going to wait till 5 months but she kept getting on me and she would have given it too him if I didn't so I started so I could do it the right way. Oh, this isn't advice but annoyed me lol, she gave Frankie soda! I was sitting there and I said "do not give that to him, I don't want him having soda ever as a child" she smiled and gave it.

My mom constantly tells me she knows best. She told to put his car seat front facing so we'd have more leg room with the front seats. Tells to give him tylenol anytime I say he is fussy.

May 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
It seems like a lot of people want to feed Norah. She's actually really interested in food and I have already given her some avocado, bananas, and tiny bits of some things that I am eating just for fun. None of this is meant to replace BM, just to give her a taste. Everyone else seems to want to give her the worst foods. Puddings? Syrup? Popsicle? Come on! She's a baby and I don't want her to eat that crap anyway.

But the worst so far is when people argue with me about whether she is really allergic to milk. Maybe she's just lactose intolerant they say. I should keep trying different things to see if she reacts. Umm..NO! It's pretty clear that she has an actual allergy to the milk protein casein and it's HURTS her to have any. She might grow out of it, but I'm not going to experiment with her like she's not a feeling being. Gah...this irritates me so much.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

May 10th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymalone View Post
I hate people's comments when I wear her! "Poor thing! I'd hate to be all packed up like that." or "That has to be uncomfortable for her."

Yesterday, I was shopping and she started fussing. Store clerk swore I was "Pinching her arm" with the wrap. She followed me around the store offering "advice". I swore she was going to call cps before I could get Ellie unstrapped & get her a bottle, which was all that was wrong!
I usually get very positive comments on baby wearing in town.

My sister however hates when I wear Nathaniel. She thinks the MaiTai is unsafe and that he is going to fall out of the bottom.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search