No longer can ebf

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lilsuma
  • 1 Post By alybr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Derby Girl's Avatar Veteran
I've posted in the FB group about my struggles, but haven't posted here in awhile. So after struggling for weeks with my supply dropping, the last vacant office in my building has been reassigned. I no longer have anywhere to pump. I'm feeling sad and mad and guilty, but I figured it would happen eventually. I still plan to nurse whenever I'm not at work. We've been lucky for 7 and a half months. My question is how to transition Abby from BM to formula? Any advice is welcome!
June 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Veteran
no suggestions here but way to go momma! 7 and a half months u should be proud!
Derby Girl likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 14th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Something similar happened to me with my first born. I went back to work at 3 months and gradually desensitized to the pump. By 9 months I couldn't pump at all, but when my son was at the breast he got everything he needed. I felt like a failure. The good news is that it's common and you can still nurse. He went on to self-wean at 2.5 years, so it is possible! What we did was, start mixing formula with the rest of my BM stash and when it was all gone, he got straight formula. Also he began eating more and more table foods. I think we only ever bought two cannisters of formula, but I'm not sure. I left it all up to my DH who had to feed him since I wasn't home. When I got home in the evenings, I took over all feeding until I left again the next day. Also I fed him exclusively on the weekends. We took him off formula completely at 12 months anyway since he could eat baby food.

I hope that helps a little! As a side note, I still can't pump. After four kids, no matter how full my breasts are - I can not get a drop out with a pump. Go figure!

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

June 14th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Veteran
I would try mixing BM and formula. More BM at first, then slowly dwindle down.
June 17th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Just wanted to say congrats making it 7 months!!!

June 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Derby Girl's Avatar Veteran
Thanks for responding. We gave her formula with bm today (half/half), I would've done more, but my hubby is at home with her right now. She hates it! She cried and refused it and fell back asleep. I feel so bad. At least I know I can go home and nurse her. I am still pumping, but only 4oz. I figure if I can keep doing that we can continue to do half and half. I appreciate all the support!
June 17th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran
Also try when she's really sleepy. At night maybe even, it helped when I had problems with m refusing the breast. And also not when she's overly hungry. Try about An hour before you would normally feed her.
Glycerin19 likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
^^Agreed. It's just like any other new food. She's going to need to get used to it. Best to give it to her when she's not really hungry or when she's too sleepy to care. Don't feel too bad! You are doing great and she is getting what she needs. It's just new to her. Soon it will be easy.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

July 17th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Veteran
Hi there. I see your question was about how to start adding formula, but since you seem really dissapointed to give up pumping, i wanted to offer a suggestion. Do you drive a car to work? I set up sunshades and towels when i first park at work in the morning, then i use a car adapter for my electirc pump. Its actually turned out to be an extremely private, comfy spot to pump. Who knows, maybe that could also be an option for you too?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search