my kid is whiny.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CarolynBB
  • 1 Post By melissalaw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy
And it drives me crazy! If you dare to take away your phone, tablet, handful of dog food, what have you, she throws herself on the floor and screams. She also will walk around just making this horrible high pitched whine when she's mad or upset about something. I'm not really sure how to best handle this. I miss my sweet, easy to please little girl!

She is getting some molars in, so I think sometimes she just isn't feeling too great. My mom has mentioned she thinks maybe Rylynn is bored with the same old, same old routine. So, I'm looking into mommy and me playgroups/tumbling classes so she can get a chance to play with other kids, and switch up our routine. I think I would enjoy that as much as her!

But it's seriously every little thing that sets her off. Sometimes it's nothing. It could be that the dog walked too close to her, or it could be that the dog didn't walk by her. I don't have a clue half the time why she is pissed off.

I think some of it's her age...right? It's normal? How do I handle this? I never raise my voice around her, let alone to her. I try to redirect but sometimes it just doesn't work, she's too focused on being upset.

Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? Do I just ignore the outbursts? I don't want to give in to her when it's a behavior I don't want, such as eating dog food, or throwing my expensive sunglasses down the cat door hole to the basement. And things like that I don't think I should just ignore.

Any suggestions, insight, etc is welcomed. I need some direction on this!!

Thanks
September 8th, 2013, 08:48 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the playgroups and tumbling classes etc are a great idea. If nothing else, it'll wear her out a little and give you something new to do, too.

It sounds to me like you're doing the right thing. I agree that you don't want to give in to the screaming behavior or it'll just reinforce that shrieking will get her what she wants.

The only thing I do that works SOMETIMES when Kira is having a tantrum for no reason is I sit within sight of her and loudly have fun playing with one of her toys. "Boy, it's SO MUCH FUN to play with this ball! I love to toss this ball up in the air! WHEEEE!" A lot of times she'll decide that looks more fun than having a tantrum about nothing.

That said, sometimes she just freaks out and nothing I do helps. I just try to say comforting things without coddling ("Wow, you sound upset. That must be frustrating!") and honestly I usually go sit on the computer for a minute or so (within sight of her) until she calms down. No idea if that's the "right" thing to do or not.
kld1981 likes this.
September 9th, 2013, 06:37 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jacob isn't too bad with throwing fits but Jackson was a terror. If we took something away from him that he wasn't suppose to have he would throw himself down and scream and cry for what seemed like an eternity. he even bit the side of the bath tub when he got made one time and chipped his darn tooth so now his front tooth has a chip in it until his adult teeth come in. I would usually just leave him alone and just let him have his tantrum. I always found that if I tried to console him or do anything it would just make it last longer. I think he liked the attention.

The one positive thing that I can tell you is that they didn't last long. I think his terrible tantrums just lasted a few month. now he still has tantrums sometimes but again I just walk away and don't show him any interest so they don't last too long.
kld1981 likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 9th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the responses!! I had a big light bulb go off this morning! She's dropped a nap within the last 2 months, and I don't think she's ready yet. I think she still needs 2 naps a day, even if they only last an hour each, she's still getting that refresher. She got put to bed an hour early last night due to constant tantrums complete with tears (because she had been awake for 7 hours, since she got up from her nap at noon). She woke up and 5 am today. YUCK!! So I just put her down for a nap. Even if she only sleeps an hour, that is fine with me.

I can see her on the monitor. She is fast asleep, snuggling with her bunny. Thank goodness! We will see if this helps with the whiny junk. I'll update later
September 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Your are probably right. she definitely needs that extra nap. Jacob is still taking 2 naps. I tried to keep him from taking his second nap last Friday because he only had about 30 minutes to take a nap and I didn't think that was long enough. Well he was having none of it. he went to his room and starting crying and pulling on his bed so he wanted his nap. He still takes 2 naps. His morning nap is about 2 hours and his afternoon nap is about one hour.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
September 9th, 2013, 09:45 AM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope that helps!! Kira is still alternating between one and two naps depending on the day. I could see where being tired could make Rylynn grumpy!
September 11th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Super Mommy
Two naps really helped. She only took one today, and it's too late to get her to take another. She still gets whiny towards the end of the evening, but I think that's to be expected.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search