Refusing to eat

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MommaHarvey
  • 1 Post By TVH
  • 1 Post By yashobo
  • 1 Post By alybr

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2014, 03:36 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Frankie just turned 14 months and over the last week or so he's eating has decreaed. He went from three meals and a snack a day to hardly anything now. He will eat a cup of yogurt at breakfast, then only half a sandwich for lunch and maybe a bite of dinner. I stopped with the snacks, which he stopped eating anyway, hoping he would be hungry for meals and not giving him his milk with meals till after he ate. Anyone else dealing with this? I'm wondering if its a phase or something I should be concerned about. He doesn't seem sick or in pain, he does have his top molars coming in (the bottoms came in and ge didn't seem to notice). Any advice?

January 29th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No real advice here. Nathaniel will eat anything that is put in front of him at any time of the day. He is like a bottomless pit. He eats so much his belly will puff out and get hard.

Now with little Garry I don't remember when he stopped eating, but I think it was closer to 2. He got real picky about the times he would eat. He didn't want to eat at meals. He still wanted fruit snacks and granola bars, but we stopped giving him those to entice him to eat at meal times. It didn't really help. I finally had to start making him a plate, but not pushing the issue of if he actually ate or not. Most days he would only eat 1 meal, but he wasn't acting hungry so I just waited it out. Now at 3 he is doing better. He will eat a yogurt for breakfast, DH will feed him lunch, and he may or may not eat dinner. tonight he at a grilled cheese, and didn't want anything else.

I figure if they are hungry they will eat. It may be teeth or a phase, or he may be going thru a time where his body has adjusted and doesn't need as many calories as it did. They are getting to a point here soon where their growth slows down some.
melaniek85 likes this.

January 30th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Veteran
Christie has days like that. Some days she eats and some days she doesn't. She still breast feeds 3 or more times a day so I just let her eat as she wants.
melaniek85 likes this.
January 31st, 2014, 08:30 PM
yashobo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from Oct 2012 PR. Teething, teething, teething. My baby does that every time she is teething. She just had her upper canines come in and we just went through that phase and we are back to eating a ton. Just keep offering. The phase will pass and one day he'll be back to his normal eating pattern. My daughter's phase usually lasts 3-4 days; rarely more than a week though.
melaniek85 likes this.

Sisters, friends forever
February 1st, 2014, 09:52 AM
Veteran
M does this, usually only lasts a few days..... She ll go through phases of eating a ton and not wanting anything much, food nor drink.. She's been doing this since 7 months.She also does the same thing every time she gets teeth... When she was getting her molars it lasted much longer.... Maybe these particular teeth are just bothering him more? As long as he's drinking? I also worry about dehydration, since m has done this with liquids as well... Do you give him vitamins? I don't give them to her all the time, but when I feel she isn't eating sufficient I will
melaniek85 likes this.
February 2nd, 2014, 07:32 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
Thanks for the responses! Since I posted he's had a few days where he ate all meals and others where he didn't eat much, he skipped dinner last night. I'm guessing it's teething and the top molars are bothering more than the bottoms did, I think the top canines and coming in at the same time. He's still drinking really well, so I'm not too concerned about dehydration, he loves to drink. I guess if it keeps up I'll look into getting him vitamins. I'm hoping it passes soon and goes back to be a good eater.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search