Home made chicken enchiladas with a sour cream sauce - my favorite!!

On the Hunt

Share your recipes!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alpha_allie1010

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To On the Hunt LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like the red enchilada sauce so I had to come up with something else lol Here is my recipe for YUMMY chicken enchiladas! I cook most meals from scratch so beware this will take a while to make This recipe can be halved for those who don't want as much, but I make a lot since we have a large family. Also this will last us for two meals - it takes a while to make so I want extra from it haha! This recipe as is makes 24 enchiladas (2 - 9x13 baking dishes worth). I refrigerate one and have it for dinner the next night also.

Ingredients:

2 Pkgs split chicken breasts [about 2 in a pkg here so you need 4 total](needs to be this so that you have the skin and bone for flavor - you could also use cut up whole chicken but I prefer white meat lol)
7 cloves garlic
2 medium onions - I prefer sweet yellow onions
2lbs roma tomatoes
ground cloves
salt
pepper
safflower oil
bay leaves
1/4 c bread crumbs
3/4 c heavy whipping cream
16 oz sour cream
4 Tbs flour
4 Tbs butter (use real butter - not margarine)
3 cups of reserved chicken broth (from the chicken you made)
paprika
2 jalapeno (seeded and diced)
2 cans of chopped green chilis
2 blocks (16oz each) of shredded monterey jack cheese
1 bag of mexican blend shredded cheese (about 2 cups)
24 corn tortillas
Cilantro (chopped)

Start by placing the split chicken breasts, 2 Tbs salt, and 4 cloves of smashed garlic in a large pot. Cover with water and boil the chicken for 25-30 minutes - until chicken is fully cooked.

While chicken is cooking, place roma tomatoes in another pot. Cover with water and keep a lid on the pot. Bring water to a boil and boil 5 -10 minutes until the skin is cracked and peeling off of the tomatoes (flash steaming them like this makes it easy to remove the skin). Carefully take out the tomatoes and using two forks remove the skin. Put the tomatoes in a blender with one diced onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt, 8 black peppercorns (about 16 grinds of a pepper mill), and 1/4 tsp ground cloves. Blend until smooth.

When chicken is done boiling, reserve 3 c of strained chicken broth and set aside. Remove skin and bone from chicken and shred the meat using two forks.

In a large skillet, add 2 Tbs of safflower oil. When the oil is heated, add 1 diced onion and 1 diced and seeded jalapeno. Sautee until onion is just tender. Add the shredded chicken and 1/2 c chicken broth. Let cook for 2 minutes and then add the tomato puree. Add 4 bay leaves and cook for 10 minutes until the tomato mixture thickens a bit. Then add 3/4c heavy whipping cream and 1/4 c bread crumbs to the mixture. This is the inside of your chicken enchilada.

For the sour cream sauce, in a pot combine 4 Tbs melted butter with 4 Tbs flour. Stir constantly and cook for about 2 minutes (if you don't cook long enough, it will not taste like a proper roux). Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth slowly while whisking. Add in the two cans of chopped green chilis (drained of excess fluid). Then add 16 oz sour cream and 24 oz shredded monterey jack cheese (about 1 1/2 blocks - save 1/2 block for later use). Sprinkle in paprika (for color), and salt and pepper to taste.

Heat the corn tortillas (in a microwave, skillet or griddle) to prevent them from breaking when you roll them. Once heated add a generous amount of chicken mixture and a little bit of the reserved shredded monterey jack cheese. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down in a 9x13 baking dish. You should fit 12 rolled tortillas in each baking dish (recipe makes 24 enchiladas).

When done rolling enchiladas, pour the sauce evenly over both baking dishes of enchiladas. Sprinkle mexican blend shredded cheese over both dishes.

Place baking dishes in a 350 F oven for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
March 20th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you freeze these?

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 20th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I imagine you could, I don't freeze hardly anything though lol I don't have a lot of free space in there. I would just put them in a gallon freezer bag or two. Or split them up into individual servings and freeze.

March 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We just got a deep freeze and I want to feed the freezer before the baby comes!
kimberlyw likes this.

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 21st, 2013, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We need to get a deep freezer, but with an impending move it would just be one more thing to have to move with us lol. I totally understand though - I would probably do the same if I had the space...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search