OT: Columbine

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Brittanie
  • 1 Post By BoyerMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I live in Littleton, Colorado. The library we go to is right next to Columbine High School (actually, if we lived 3 blocks to the east, we'd be in the zone for Columbine High School). While I didn't live here in Denver 14 years ago, it's still a really emotional day around here (ESPECIALLY with the events of this past week, and past December).

So anyway, I just wanted to share my pictures from visiting the memorial this morning.

First of all, here's a picture from last year so you can see what the whole thing looks like

And then today's pictures

The guy with the camera was from 9 news. He interviewed me...I wonder if I'll end up on TV...
*Leah* likes this.

April 20th, 2013, 04:01 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was little when that happened. We had just gotten home from visiting family in Littleton, CO 2 days before the shooting. My cousin was a freshman at Columbine, but she was gone that day because it is my uncle's birthday. Beautiful pictures. that memorial looks beautiful.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I was a sophomore in high school. I was sick that day, though, and caught the news coverage pretty much from the very beginning. Needless to say, I was rather traumatized for being so far removed from it. But the school's layout was very similar to the one I went to, and I knew some people like the shooters, so in a way it was still very personal.

It is definitely a beautiful memorial. The back wall has quotes from students and staff and family about that day, and there is a plaque in the center for each of the people who have died, with a biography or quote from the family. And the lettering was all redone last fall, and it looked so nice!

we put our flowers in the middle of the ribbon because there weren't enough for one for each plaque and I didn't know any of them.

April 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
14 years ago i was......11. I don't remember it very much, i just remember my mom pulling me out of school early because she couldn't get ahold of my uncle (this was pre cell phones for the most part) and she was packing up to drive back to CO! my uncle called a couple hours after I got home from school so we stayed in nebraska, but my mom was a hot mess.
I can't say it really impacted me though...I was very much "That would never happen in my school" I was in elementary school though, so there weren't really any outcasts, etc.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 20th, 2013, 06:20 PM
ErinBoshnyak1985's Avatar Super Mommy
14 years ago....I was 13. I don't think I remember this at all, but of course afterwards all the stories and recounts about it I have heard, and I watched a documentary about it also. Because I don't remember it, I don't remember being emotional about it, but I DO know I was emotional when the elementary school shooting happened. What I mean to say is I pray for all those families that still hurt and have to remember this day every year this way.

Happy April Fools Day on me!!! @ 17DPO

Read My Journal! http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ttle-newt.html
Belly Pics! Updated Weekly!!!http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...elly-pics.html

April 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Yep, I made it into a video segment. Makes me wish I had put on makeup today...lol

At about 2 minutes and 50 seconds or so (but the beginning part is good too)
http://www.9news.com/news/article/33...essage-of-hope

April 20th, 2013, 09:49 PM
BoyerMom's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I was a Freshman in HS and remember watching all the news coverage surrounding this. Ironically, I just finally read The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. He is one of my favorite authors. That book is a fiction, but is centered around Columbine. (really long though, 700+ pages). Definitely hits me harder being a Mom now.
ChicaChels likes this.

April 20th, 2013, 10:11 PM
J.E.N.N.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was 14. I def remember it. Such as sad event. Im sure with everything going on it was alittle extra emotional for some
April 21st, 2013, 07:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing. I was a junior in high school and remember this very vividly. I love that you take your kids to the memorial.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

April 21st, 2013, 08:15 AM
ErinBoshnyak1985's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow, that was really moving Brit, thanks for sharing that

Happy April Fools Day on me!!! @ 17DPO

Read My Journal! http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ttle-newt.html
Belly Pics! Updated Weekly!!!http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...elly-pics.html

April 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are beautiful pictures. I was a sophomore in high school.

My Ovulation Chart

I'm doing natural family planning

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search