Those of you who already have kids...

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2013, 04:35 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What about the birth process surprised you the most the first time?

April 21st, 2013, 04:41 PM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
Well I never went into active labor, I had my daughter via csection at 41 weeks... Still though I had prodromal labor from 36 weeks on. A couple times it was so incredibly painful I thought I was in labor only to find out I was only 2cm. That surprised me. I knew about Braxton hicks but these were so so painful. I had to deal with them for so long always wondering if labor was starting. I'd have contractions just minutes apart and they'd just die down later. I always pictured you just knowing it was labor and time for baby and it doesn't always work that way.

April 21st, 2013, 05:00 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was posterior during the last few months of labor. And when I finally went into labor, my contractions were very irregular (they would be anywhere between 2 and 6 minutes apart), although they kept getting stronger. And because they were irregular, everyone thought it was false labor -.-

So anyway, my midwife waited until I called and told her that my contractions were so close I couldn't walk from one room to the other without getting one. THEN she told me to come to the birth center. I was fully dilated 4 hours later!

It was just surprising, because everything I've read says that true labor contractions will be extremely regular. It wasn't until after birth that I learned that posterior babies can cause irregular contractions lol

April 21st, 2013, 05:15 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to go with my 2nd labor, because i was induced the first time and that is NOTHING like real labor. for me, i was surprised how mental labor was. I was in labor with Hunter for like 55 hours, but it wasn't like "zomg I'm in labor"...it was like "zomg when will this turn into real labor?" my ctx were like 10 min apart for the majority of the time. we stayed in a hotel across the street from the hospital the night before hunter was born ONLY because i wanted to be seen at 8am when the clinic opened to see what was going on up in there....and because i wanted to get acupuncture immediately after...but alas, he was born at 0652 after a transition that lasted maybe 5 minutes while i was in the shower..then all of a sudden i had to push.

ive attended a lot of births, but this shocked the heck out of me because it was such an abnormal pattern...my doula even told me to go home and drink some wine and rest b/c there was no way it was true labor. Something in my gut told me it was...so definitely trust your instincts had we been at home hunter would've been born at home and we had nothing to be prepared for that scenario.....
CherryLimeade likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The delivery was what I expected. I was surprised that epidurals don't always work, or take the pain away anyway. I was also very shocked by the whole pooping wild pushing thing. I was terrified of it with my 1st and it didn't happen. It happened with my 2nd but I didn't even know it.
April 21st, 2013, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For me it was the feeling of needing to push. I felt like I was suffocating and didn't realize what my body was telling me I needed to do.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

April 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD flipped into the breach position at 36 weeks. At 37 weeks, she started to drop. Three weeks before my due date, my OB appt became a "Do you want the baby today or tomorrow?" discussion with a c-section being the delivery method. I totally did not expect that scenario!

On the positive side, the c-section was not nearly as scary or as painful as I thought it would be.
*Leah* likes this.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

April 21st, 2013, 07:58 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I was induced with my first and eventually got an epi, and apparently that was pretty quick for a first timer - 7 hours. My second though, my water broke and like 2 hours later I was holding a baby. I did not labor for hours..it was just like BAM - baby time. Very intense and fast. So, the speed of it with the 2nd time really caught me off guard and I guess thats what surprised me most. My midwife told me next time I have a baby to head in right away or else I could be having it on the side of the road or at home, because she said labor tends to be faster each time...

Oh, also...natural birth wasn't as painful as I imagined. It's easier to get into the zone when you're not induced...and.........the head coming out really doesn't hurt that much...it feels very strange for less than like 10 seconds, but then the natural pain killers kick in and you kinda go number. Pretty neat.

April 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM
J.E.N.N.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it was how unprepared for labor you are even with all the preparing. I truely felt prepared. I wanted an all natural birth and was fully aware it would be a long painful time but felt it would be worth it. Needless to say that didnt happen. My water broke 3 weeks early at 2:30am I made it to the hospital at 4ish. I was checked and found out I was dialated to 10 and ready to push. It was insane. I ended up in a csection but I never expected to have my first labor to go so quickly.
April 21st, 2013, 09:12 PM
BoyerMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I was induced 2 weeks early. I didn't know until after that my son was face-up, so after pushing for 3 hours I had a c-section. My hubby and I skipped our last birthing class that was just about c-sections cause we thought, oh that won't be us....haha.

April 21st, 2013, 09:17 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Honestly? What surprised me most is that even with all the amazing medical advances we have, things can still go wrong.

Other than that, what surprised me was the level of pain. I know others have said that, but seriously. I have a high tolerance for pain, but really...ouch. lol And that has surprised me EVERY time. Because it's true that you forget what pregnancy and labor are REALLY like.

April 22nd, 2013, 12:28 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son was sunny side up which caused a lot of problems.

1. It made my labor off the charts intense. I do pretty good with pain but I remember comparing it to getting shot in the back and I never got much relief. I planned a natural birth and caved and got an epi when I was to the point of screaming and panic attacks.

2. I had an emergency c-section. No one in my family has EVER had a c-section. I was not prepared for that and really struggled with it for a long time. Plus recoving from a c-section is awful.

Some other things that surprised me were how pregnant you still look for a while after having a baby and the 6 weeks of bleeding caught me off guard afterwards.
April 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Either that or my period cramps are normally extremely severe.

I also never really had contractions getting shorter or shorter. My water broke around 9:30am at home, and the contracts were 3 minutes apart, then 7, then 3. I had her around 2pm. So that was confusing for me. The nurses thought I wouldn't be staying because they didnt' think I looked like I was in "enough" pain. Uh, sorry?
April 22nd, 2013, 06:49 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I didn't realize how messy labor was. When they broke my water, with every contraction, more liquid was coming out, I was leaking, went through like 4 gowns -- tons of chuck pads -- just ew.

I really wanted to go natural, but at the 18 hour mark, I was SO exhausted I needed to rest. Got an Epi, slept for 3 hours, and then pushed my son out in 31 minutes with the epi turned off.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
April 22nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I think the most surprising part was how much I LOVED the ice pad after birth. With my second I asked for it right away. I was also surprised how fast I could go from 5cm to holding a baby only took about 30 minutes and it felt a lot quicker.

April 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is probably an odd one, but I was super surprised how my body looked in those first few days after giving birth. It was really scary with this big belly all deflated and weird looking, lol.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
April 22nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I never had a contraction. Mallory flipped breech at 36 weeks, I had to wrap my head around a C-Section, even though I never prepared for it. But my cousin reminded me...that a planned C/S is MUCH better than an emergency one.

We went out for a nice steak dinner with friends the night before...They were in awe how calm we were, knowing we were having a baby the next day at 1pm LOL....

The C/S recovery was MUCH easier than I imagined. I stayed on top of the pain meds ,right away, so that I would use my stomach muscles, because I wasn't in so much pain with the meds, and I think that helped heal and strengthen them. If you don't take the meds, I think you baby yourself and don't use them. Just IMHO...Also, the worst part is bending over your belly to do the spinal. It's hard curling around your big ole belly and it is clausterphobic and I'm NOT a clausterphobic person. The other thing is that no one tells you about is these HUGE bloodpressure type cuffs they put on your legs after a C/S to prevent blood clots. I had to keep them on for 2 days, except when I got up to use the restroom. They aren't uncomfortable, just inconvenient, but no one told me that before my C/S...so thought I'd mention it.

I honestly bought Depends underware to wear the first couple days....to protect my clothes and undies...you bleed a lot afterwards.

I loved my C/S and I will have another. I know some people that feel like they didn't get a real birthing experience and want to have a VBAC and I think that is awesome. I just wasn't one to feel that way. I've had kidney stones 4 times, which is supposed to be equivalent to labor. I'm okay missing that

All I wanted was for my baby to come into this world safe and sound and she did, so I was happy.

Like HorseGal...I bled for 6 weeks. I knew breastfeeding was good for helping shrink your uterus, (TMI) but I didn't know that everytime I'd BF and then stand up afterwards, a huge GUSH of blood would come out.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

Last edited by *Leah*; April 22nd, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
April 22nd, 2013, 12:52 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In general, birth is much grosser than we realized--especially right after!
April 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
Like HorseGal...I bled for 6 weeks. I knew breastfeeding was good for helping shrink your uterus, (TMI) but I didn't know that everytime I'd BF and then stand up afterwards, a huge GUSH of blood would come out.
Ahh! I forgot about that. Or that nursing gives you cramps for the first week.
April 22nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post

Some other things that surprised me were how pregnant you still look for a while after having a baby and the 6 weeks of bleeding caught me off guard afterwards.
LOL, 6 weeks postpartum at the grocery store, a man walked by and said "congratulations, how far are you?" and i turned red and said "i just had my baby...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama2 View Post
In general, birth is much grosser than we realized--especially right after!
LMAO. Yeah. Another thing: they placed my son on my bare naked abdomen right after he came out and he immediately pooped all over both of us. I also got to see his placenta! That was interesting

Last edited by CherryLimeade; April 22nd, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search