NT screening?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By *~ Joni ~*
  • 1 Post By HeartHelloKitty
  • 2 Post By LexnessMomstah

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Regular
sorry if someone already started a post on this, i looked but couldn't find one...

are you going to be doing the whole NT screening? i didn't with my first pregnancy and i didn't want to this time around either, but my doctor says i should. what advantage is there to having it done? my doctor said if something (i can't remember, i think something to do with a hormone?) is found, they are able to monitor it more closely as my pregnancy progresses. if i don't do the test, they won't do the additional monitoring.

i stress enough as it is. i don't want to stress over a possible false negative of down syndrome, and/or whatever else the screening tests for!

April 26th, 2013, 09:33 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
You should probably ask your doctor what kinds of things they could identify in that test that would benefit from treatment. I know there are a few things that they can treat before birth. One example is if you have a female baby with CAH. I believe they give hormones in that situation. I've never done an NT scan. They generally look for those flags at the 20 week u/s

April 26th, 2013, 09:49 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did it before and will be doing it again. Your doctor is right. They can monitor the baby and if needed, have you deliver at a hospital that will allow for the quick and specific care of your baby.

Think about it. Knowing can only help. Not knowing will NOT CHANGE THE OUTCOME. If your child has Down Syndrome, they have it. Might as well find out.

Just my 2 cents...

April 26th, 2013, 09:59 AM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
We're doing it. If the baby has Downs or Williams they are at high risk for being born with a heart problem that may need treated right away at birth so I'd want to know that. You can also get speech therapy and physical therapy for a child with either of those disorders and there is often a long wait list so if you know during the pregnancy, you can get on the list early rather than being blind sided at birth and starting from scratch then, delaying therapy.
anybodyinthere likes this.
April 26th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
i have had it done with all my children. Its a little scary to think about, but the reality is that knowing will not change the fact that the baby has a problem, but knowing WILL allow you to be an advocate for all the baby will need the minute he or she is born...from special care nursery at birth, to a lifelong list of treatments. Due to my age, I will have it done at 11w.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
April 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Nope. Didn't have it done the first time, will not be having it done this time. We didn't have any testing done last time at all. They just checked at 20 weeks to make sure all was growing well.

ETA: My insurance only covers stuff at 80% so financially, it's not something we can afford since we just dumped 6k into having this baby
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)

Last edited by Oriyan; April 26th, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
April 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I didn't do the NT, but I did do the quad blood screening. I will do it again this time. When it came back all fine, I was relieved and I'm just a person that wants to know what I'm dealing with, so I can process it and take action, if I need to.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

April 26th, 2013, 12:52 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
I got the NT scan with Atti and I will get it again. I like to be prepared if it is something even though chances are the test will come back normal. Besides I wouldn't turn down a chance to see my Spot.

April 26th, 2013, 05:53 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
its not even offered here, and i would decline it anyway. we decline all prenatal testing, including the quad screen, gestational diabetes and GBS swab

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
April 26th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran
I never had it with either of my girls and I won't for this one....

April 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
its not even offered here, and i would decline it anyway. we decline all prenatal testing, including the quad screen, gestational diabetes and GBS swab
Why?

April 26th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I've never had it done. I may this time just because I like seeing my baby.

April 26th, 2013, 07:27 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will because of my age and I like having all the info I can.
NCRG2010 likes this.

April 27th, 2013, 08:20 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I have never done any of the testing. I don't think it's necessary, and would only cause me more stress. They are not that accurate. I wouldn't do it just to see the baby either.

April 28th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
YES! I have had it done with both my previous children even though I had them in my 20's. I paid out of pocket for it since insurance didn't cover it, but it wasn't that expensive at all and it is something important to me and my husband. Will be having it done again this time.

As a fun note, it is quite a long and detailed ultrasound and a really fun time to get to see baby. And we always did it at the end of the time window, at 13 weeks and 13 weeks 3 days and he found out the gender
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
April 28th, 2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran
I do not get any of the screenings or the quad blood either. My family thus far (that have done it) have all gotten false positives, so I would rather enjoy my pregnancy and deal with whatever comes my way. I will love and keep the baby regardless of anything wrong with it, so I would rather not stress! My view is not for everyone, that's just me hah.
JulieMc and feythful like this.

I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart.)
April 29th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
Ditto, although its offered, just not required for those who are not at risk for GD. The most I do is pee in a cup every visit. GBS can be negative at 36 weeks and positive at birth, GBS status is always changing. It's one of those tests that are only run in certain areas (like the US). We are the only country who turns pregnancy into a medical disease.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
April 29th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I do it mostly for the ultrasound but I would want to know if anything were wrong so that decisions could be made and info gathered.

April 29th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's totally a personal choice. I always get it done, I like to be prepared

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search