Calling Mommies with a Toddler still in a crib...

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By *Leah*
  • 1 Post By Brittanie
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 2 Post By Brittanie
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By monkeymama2
  • 2 Post By feythful
  • 1 Post By *Leah*
  • 1 Post By anybodyinthere
  • 1 Post By HeartHelloKitty
  • 1 Post By feythful
  • 1 Post By JulieMc
  • 2 Post By mommamindy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
When are you going to transition them to a big boy/big girl bed? I want someone to go through this transition with!

I think we will have Mallory's new room set up around Aug/Sept...I want to make sure all is going well with this pregnancy before I switch her into her new room. (our nursery is gender neutral, so we're using that for the new baby too).

I also don't know when we'll be doing potty training and I don't want it all to be too much of a shock to her at once.

What are you doing?
mommamindy likes this.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

April 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Well, we're going to eventually put Allison in a room with Erin, and Patrick alone in the room Allison is in now (he shares with Erin at the moment). We are planning on buying another set of bunks, and having her sleep on the bottom in the room by herself for a while.

Really, whenever we get around to getting the second set of bunks...lol

As for potty training, we only JUST got Patrick trained in February (a week before he turned 4) after a LONG drawn out battle, so I'm not sure about Allison. She is more interested in the potty than Patrick was, so I might get her her own little potty (Patrick is still possessive of his McQueen one, which we took the potty parts out of and are using like a stool). I'd LOVE to have her trained before Rolo gets here, but I'm not planning on it really.
*Leah* likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 09:35 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Lurking and stalking...hope it is okay if I reply Oh, and BTW...there is Kalua Pork in my CrockPot right now I can't wait to devour it!

Anyhow, Claire was 22 months when she switched from a crib to her Big Girl Bed (full size bed with walls on 2 sides and a bed rail on one side). In the weeks beforehand, she helped us set up her new Big Girl Room...she helped us put the bed together, build the dresser, put up the curtains, put on the sheets, etc. We put some of her toys and books in there and we'd go in there sometimes to read or play. We talked every time we went in about how this would be her Big Girl bed and that when she was ready she could sleep there. One day before her nap she asked to sleep in the Big Girl Bed, so we tucked her in and that was that! After that nap she woke up a little scared and disoriented. The first night she woke up twice crying because she was scared, but that was it...smooth sailing ever since

I know every kid is different, but Claire does best when she feels like she is making the decisions for herself. We were prepared to let her take whatever time she needed until she chose to move into her new room.

Good luck with the transition; I hope Mallory does well with it!
*Leah* likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 30th, 2013, 09:48 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 26 month old is still in a crib. He switched to his old room a month before his birthday. He's easy to put down and sleeps great... To be honest the only reason I haven't switched his bed to a toddler bed yet is because he doesn't attempt to climb out, so I didn't see a point. I'm in no hurry, it'll be an east transition I'm sure. I'll wait until he starts climbing, do it for fun or just wait until I hit about 35 weeks.
April 30th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks Melissa!!! I ALWAYS welcome your advice .... OMG YUM... I can't wait to hear how you like the pork!!!! I love your idea of letting it be her choice. Once we get it set up, I'm going to take her in there and do that too

Horsegal, I know, Mallory is 27 months on Thurs and she doesn't even attempt to get out of her crib, so I wasn't concerned, but with the new baby needing it (although I kept her in a bassinet in our room until 4 months) ...I want to transition her early enough that she doesn't feel booted out. Plus her new room is closer to the bathroom. I think we'll tackle that after the transition.
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?

April 30th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I'm just glad that I am not the only one who has a child older than 18 months still in a crib!
*Leah* and HorseGal like this.

April 30th, 2013, 11:05 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwaiting View Post
I can't wait to hear how you like the pork!!!!

...I want to transition her early enough that she doesn't feel booted out.
LOL, this is not my first batch of pork We made it for ourselves a while back, and it was amazing. Then we made it for some friends who had a baby. Now we are on to batch #3

That was our thinking, too...I didn't want Claire to feel kicked out of the crib/room, so moving her a little earlier was perfect for us.
*Leah* likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 30th, 2013, 11:19 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My youngest is 27 months and still in her crib. I Have no plans to switch. We switched my oldest shortly before she turned 3. Hasn't tried to climb out, sleeps great. Not potty training yet. She's not into it.

She's in a room by herself, which the baby will use. Baby will also use her crib. I have two spare toddler beds in storage. When we switch rooms she'll go in the room with my older two (who have bunk beds). It will be a tight fit but they will love it I'm sure. If this baby is a girl we won't have to change anything in the other room. If it's a boy I'll paint and change curtains/rug.
*Leah* likes this.
April 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Emily was switched to her big girl room about 2 weeks ago at just under 28 months because she was climbing out and we needed to get Josie into the crib and out of the pack n play in our room. Lil' squishy will be in the pack n play in our room for at least the first 4 months and then we'll evaluate whether or not Josie's ready for a big girl bed. At that point, she'll be about the same age Em was, so it's possible. I hope by then we're in a bigger house, because right now we're running out of room.

Em isn't interested in potty learning at all, so we're not pushing it. She sat on the potty for a little while this morning, but LOVES to take off her diaper and run around naked. That was a HUGE problem last night that ended in both girls being bathed and me scrubbing the wood floors from the living room to her bedroom (in between running to the bathroom). So, I'm seriously hoping we can get it started soon. Especially since I think with the girls being so close in age and Josie being completely enamored with Em and everything she does, she might be interested in potty learning earlier. It would also be super awesome to not worry about 3 in diapers, even with my plan to cloth diaper baby 3.
*Leah* and mommamindy like this.

Last edited by feythful; April 30th, 2013 at 11:29 AM.
April 30th, 2013, 11:25 AM
We are in the same boat Monkeymomma, even our LO's age is the same LOL Mallory sleeps GREAT. I haven't switched her yet, because I'm afraid she'll get out of bed and just play in her room all night LOL!

Feythful...How did Emily transition to the bed?

I got this bedding....(the green is not lime like in the picture) Jumping Beans Owl Bedding Coordinates

And my friend does Vinyl graphics, so she is making me a "Grow Wise Little One" graphic for over the bed.... I might put another over the bookshelves that says "Reading is a HOOT" I can't wait to order her white bedroom set! and paint the walls!
KMH likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Crib? LOLOLOLOL. He still falls asleep in the PnP downstairs, then ends up cosleeping from about 2am on.

I REALLY need him to start sleeping in his crib!!!
*Leah* likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 12:20 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ellie still cosleeps with us. I will start transitioning her to her bed over the summer. I want it done a few months before baby comes so she doesn't feel displaced.
*Leah* likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 02:56 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
She did really well. I think a lot of it had to do with the continuation of the routine we had developed before. We put a baby gate up at the door and for the first couple of days, we had to tell her to go back to bed. I allowed her to explore the room and play a little with the few small toys that were in there. I had removed most of the toys and books so that she wouldn't be tempted to play or "read", but left a few in there because she tends to play for a little bit before she calls for me in the mornings. Once she had thoroughly explored, she went to bed. We have a couple night lights in her room, but when the house goes dark and everyone goes to bed, there's not much light for her to play. We actually had a few nights when she was in the nursery where her dad or I would lay on the floor next to her bed until she fell asleep, but we haven't had any of that since she moved to her new room.
*Leah* likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 08:47 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Not quite the same...but my daughter is 2.5 and co-sleeps. We just bought a new house and are staying here at least 50% of the time right now as we work on it....and now that she has her own room, she has been sleeping in there. I'll lay down with her til she falls asleep, and then she's out for the night! So much better than in our bed, where she will wake up at least once in the night. The change in scenery really is helping, I think. I let her pick out the paint color for her room and decorated it for her...so she was really excited about having her own room. Sooo...I think setting up a new room for her may actually really help in your case, because it's really helping us

Forgot to say, she is sleeping in a twin bed now. I also let her pick out a new nightlight at the store.
*Leah* likes this.

Last edited by JulieMc; April 30th, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
April 30th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Beautiful Life!
I am in the same position as Feythful! My girls are 28 months and almost 15 months. We had to move my two year old into a toddler bed because we had lowered her crib as low as it would go and she was still trying to get out. Plus I wanted to get our youngest out of our room and into the crib. That was about 6 months ago. The problem is they keep each other awake and I'm scared to move my youngest into a toddler bed, plus she doesn't try to climb out yet, so I'm keeping her in there for as long as possible! The new baby will co-sleep and bassinet sleep in our room for as long as possible. We also are hoping to get into a bigger house asap, as I'd hate if we have a boy to make my 10 year old son (turned 10 today!) have to share a room. And we only have 3 bedrooms, so that would put 3 small children in one room!

As for potty training, I'm exhausted thinking about it. Actually, our two year old is doing much better than my son did at this age. She will go potty, and tell us she needs to go, but then she goes a few days without wanting to or telling us she does. The problem there is, she doesn't like to be 'dirty' so we have had numerous finger painting episodes. I think she's finally getting over that stage and I'm really hoping this summer we can work on her being potty trained. I think her sister will follow suit, trying to be like her big sister. It would be nice to only have one in diapers! I'm also worried though, that our youngest will regress when the new baby comes as she's quite used to being the baby. We'll see. Frankly, it all makes me too tired to think about it!
*Leah* and feythful like this.

Last edited by mommamindy; April 30th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search