Doppler question from a JAN DDC'er

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By mommamindy
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By mommamindy
  • 2 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By mommamindy
  • 1 Post By Kaniscooo
  • 1 Post By Ame C
  • 1 Post By Kaniscooo
  • 1 Post By Jodimarie
  • 2 Post By JulieMc
  • 1 Post By *Leah*
  • 4 Post By mommy2skyty
  • 1 Post By bundle2baby
  • 1 Post By Nicole1481
  • 2 Post By Ame C
  • 3 Post By blakesgirl09
  • 1 Post By Daisee37
  • 1 Post By feythful

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Ame C's Avatar Every breath is a gift.
Hello ladies, congratulations on your pregnancies!! I have a doppler question and I feel this is the best group of women to ask since most of y'all are at the appropriate gestation to use one.

DH and I bought a Sonoline B heart doppler 2-3 months back and I was wondering when is the most reliable time to start trying to use it?? 6 weeks? Longer? Is it dangerous to use a doppler often? What is considered often use of a doppler?

I would love to hear any opinions, advice, experiences you have with them. Thank you
mommamindy likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Beautiful Life!
Oh Ame! You did get a good doppler! Same one as mine! 6 weeks is probably too early. You can try but probably won't hear much, other than your own blood flow. I'm counting on around 7 weeks trying every couple days. I've seen women hear the heartbeat as early as 7 weeks with these dopplers. However, I'm more expecting by 8 weeks. I bet about the same for you, as it depends on women's builds and how they're carrying the baby. As for how frequently, I think there's a lot of controversy to that, which could bring a lot of opinions. My own feelings on it are as long as I'm not using it for an hour a day each day, it should be fine. Really, in the beginning it may take me a little while to find the heartbeat, but I don't go for more than 30 min. and then I leave it for several days. Later on, I only use it for a few min. as reassurance or to let my DH or son hear the baby. I say trust your instincts. Good Luck!
Ame C likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Yep we got one. Right now it's collecting dust but I'm really eager to use it! I think you and I both know what an eager little beaver I can be
mommamindy likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Beautiful Life!
I get it! To be honest, I tried my doppler a couple days ago. I knew it was too early but couldn't help myself! We're two peas in a pod Ame!
Ame C likes this.

April 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM
LOL! "We go together like peas and carrots!" (in my Forest Gump voice... which sounds nothing like him)

I didn't say anything but it's your fault I tested at like 4am Tuesday morning!!! Your a bad influence girly... bad
*Leah* and mommamindy like this.

April 30th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Beautiful Life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ame C View Post
LOL! "We go together like peas and carrots!" (in my Forest Gump voice... which sounds nothing like him)

I didn't say anything but it's your fault I tested at like 4am Tuesday morning!!! Your a bad influence girly... bad
Bwahhh! Lol!!! I so knew you were going to cave! I just nugged a little
Ame C likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:05 AM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been pulling mine out since I found out lol. Haven't heard a thing. I couldn't hear Avery until 10 weeks? I think? But some people hear it way sooner.
Ame C likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:22 AM
I still have a nice big layer of fat left over on my stomach from last pg so I probably wont be able to hear a thing at 6 weeks... but you better believe I'm going to try

When is your due date Kaley? Looks like we missed out on being in the same ddc together again It's okay though cuz I plan on keeping an eye on you girls.
mommamindy likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:35 AM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
Dec 14th. Ill know for sure Monday I have my first ultrasound that morning I know but ill be checking in on you too!
Ame C likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I just wanted to say congrats to you!! I am going to buy a doppler but not for a couple more weeks I think
Ame C likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
6 weeks is way too early. If you're lucky you'll pick it up around 9/10 weeks. Some can't find it until around 12 weeks.

Babies do not like the sound of dopplers, and will move away. I don't know if they cause harm, but its probably not a good idea to annoy the crap out of your baby all the time.

That being said, I have one too...and can't wait til I can pick up a heartbeat. I will use it for reassurance since I've had so many miscarriages in the past...
*Leah* and Ame C like this.

May 1st, 2013, 08:44 AM
*Leah*'s Avatar TTC the newfashioned way
I have the sonoline b too! I've heard it's hard to hear anything before 8-9 weeks. I can't wait to use mine too! Congrats on your rainbow baby!
Ame C likes this.
TTC#1 since 10/2006, 5 failed IUI's, 1st IVF successful BFP!! Baby Girl 2/2011
TTC#2 BFP 9/2011, Natural Pregnancy! 3/30/12 M/C'd on 5/15/12 (9 weeks)
IVF#2 BFP 4/2013 M/C 6/2/13 (8 weeks)
FET #1 BFP 8/2013 - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #3 - Retrieval Oct 31st, Txferred 2 on 5d - a Blast and Morula - Chemical Pregnancy
IVF #4 - ER scheduled for 4/4/14 retrieved 4 eggs. Txferred 3 embryos 4/7/14!....BFN...NOW WHAT?
Check out my NEWBORN Hats and Baby Items
@ http://www.facebook.com/ThePaisleyPerle

May 1st, 2013, 10:32 AM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
Lurker from the August boards!

I bought a Sonoline B when I was about 10 weeks pregnant and thought I would try it out! I have some chub on my belly and thought I would play around with it totally hoping to hear something. I drove myself nuts every night trying to find it and it wasn't until I was closer to 11 weeks did I really figure it out and find my baby. There are soo many other sounds going on so it can be hard at first to find especially if you aren't pretty thin. Once I started finding my baby consistently it was very exciting and it is amazing how much the heartbeat has changed over my pregnancy! It gave me soo much relief to hear my baby's heartbeat each night and even though I feel consistant kicks now I still do use my Doppler once in a while because my kids love to hear their brother's heartbeat too!

Congrats on your rainbow baby and hope you can see your baby soon on an ultrasound!

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!
May 1st, 2013, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All this talk about dopplers...makes me want one! Any suggestions on where to get one for the best price?
Ame C likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say it will be a minimum of 2-3 more weeks. I hope you are on the early side & hear it soon!!
Ame C likes this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundle2baby View Post
All this talk about dopplers...makes me want one! Any suggestions on where to get one for the best price?
The best deal I found was on ebay.
Sonoline B Fetal Doppler Backlight LCD 3MHz FDA Baby Heart Monitor Gel Battery | eBay
bundle2baby and Jodimarie like this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:47 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's the same one I got, should be here today or tomorrow!!!!

Just tracked it!!! Out for delivery today!!!!!!YAY!!!!!!
*Leah*, mommamindy and Ame C like this.

May 1st, 2013, 12:53 PM
Daisee37's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurker from Oct DDC... with DD, we were able to hear the hb with a doppler at 10 weeks, but that was only with the nurse simultaneously doing an internal exam and pushing my uterus up toward my stomach. It wasn't until about 11 wks that we could hear it normally with a doppler. With this one, I was able to find it at 9 wks on my own. I've heard of people hearing it at 7 or 8 wks, but most OBs wont even listen until 10 or 11 wks because it's so hard to find. So you can probably try whenever you want, but I wouldn't panic about not finding it until 11 or 12 weeks. Realistically, I'd say to start around 9 weeks or so. Good luck!!!!!
Ame C likes this.

August 2012 December 2012
May 1st, 2013, 04:02 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I'm a curvy girl and I think I was able to hear mine about 12 or 13 weeks.
Ame C likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search