Wwyd?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Regular
Ok I am going to tell you all a little story.. it is not to scare any of you, but I just need some advice. About 3 years ago when I was pregnant with my little man, I was told not once, not twice, but THREE TIMES that I was pregnant with a girl. I had a years worth of pink clothes, a halloween costume, a christmas outfit, a hat with her name on it, etc. Luckily all the big stuff I bought was gender neutral in case I had another kid but there were so many small things that were all girl. I loved, dreamt and thought of a girl for those months and felt like my daughter had died when "she" came out a boy.
For that reason, I do NOT want a gender ultrasound this time around. I feel like I won't be able to believe it no matter what. My fiance says we are finding out and he will pay to get the 3-D one so that it's more accurate. I still don't know though, I am just too nervous. I don't want to go through that again.
What do you think? Was last time a fluke? Should I suck it up and let him have his way or put my foot down and just be on team green?? I don't even know how to be on team green. I really don't want a lot of white and yellow baby stuff. But the thought of going through that whole ordeal again frightens me.
May 17th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
A friend of mine had that happen. They were told it was a girl, and he came out a boy. She was heartbroken for quite a while.

I don't know, I get enough ultrasounds at the end, but it was always pretty clear to me. Like, I told the tech, "oh look, it's a girl." Was it the same person telling you it was a girl each time?

Mistakes like that are fairly uncommon though. Good luck figuring out what you want.

May 18th, 2013, 04:59 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^ She's right, that is fairly uncommon unless your one of those type of people who get an ultrasound as early as possible. A good tech shouldn't have much problems and be pretty reliable at a 18-20 month ultrasound. And then if you have a 3d one, which will be weeks later, then you can check again.
May 18th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How far along where you when you were told girl each of those times?

If you wait until at least 16 weeks you should be pretty good with a 3d and 18-20 with a 2d. I would go ahead if you both really want to know but are scared because of past experience. With a 3d it is going to be really hard to get that wrong.

May 18th, 2013, 08:26 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Wow. I've heard of this

I agree, it depends on how far along you were, whether or not you had a 3D peek. Sounds like your little guy may have been a little shy in those u/s, or sat just right so that things didn't peek through clearly on a 2D. It often amazes me how it could be screwed up at the 20+ week mark, because it's pretty obvious, especially on a 3D. I'd be pretty PO'ed at the u/s tech, for sure!

I hear about people getting the nub shot at 12 weeks and guessing boy/girl, or getting an elective at 14/15 weeks and being told one when it was the other, and I think those weeks are still pretty early to tell accurately. I'd say if you wait until 20 weeks, when things are really developed and there's enough room to still peek clearly, you should get a no-brainer 3D shot I'd go with it.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
May 18th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've heard of this too, but I agree the 3D ultrasound places are pretty accurate. How many ultrasounds do you get? I know I got checked monthly and was told every.single.time from 14 weeks until that end that baby is 'still a boy', so after 7 scans with 3 different doctors, I was pretty certain.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
May 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
This happens a lot -- especially with "boys" turning out to be "girls" because if the cord is in between their legs -- it looks like a penis!

I think the 3D/4D ones are pretty spot on. Either theres a penis or a vagina. You can't miss it. There will be no "maybe thats the cord" because you will be able to tell right away.

We found out at 16 weeks we were having a boy with my son (REALLY obvious). I think before 20 weeks i'd be worried if they said girl just in case.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
May 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
This happens a lot -- especially with "boys" turning out to be "girls" because if the cord is in between their legs -- it looks like a penis!
I've actually heard it the other way around. And with the case of the 3 I know of personally (one my friend, one a girl I knew at church several years ago, and one online), they were all told girl when it was really a boy. Basically if there's something there to see, generally then there's something there to see. But if there isn't, it isn't ALWAYS because there's not actually something there, sometimes it's just because I they missed it.

May 18th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This happened to my parents. I was supposed to have been a boy! However ultrasound in 1983/84 wasn't what it is today. It's really rare to get a wrong answer these days. It's usually the really early ones that end up wrong but the ones 16+weeks are pretty reliable. I would still do it this time but I'm a planner. I would try to get multiple people to look at it and do a 3D/4D scan around 20 weeks to be sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search