Thinking about L&D already

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2013, 08:44 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I've been thinking about labor and delivery already and I'm already scared. This will be my 4th time doing it but for some reason, this time around I'm scared. Labor was so painful with DD that I find myself thinking about it and thinking that I don't think I can handle a drug free birth again. I've been reading a lot about epidurals and it's almost got me convinced to go for it this time. This will be my last time doing this and I'd like an easier labor rather than a super painful one.

So...those of you who have had epidurals, can you tell me about your experience?

Anyone else thinking about labor and delivery already?

June 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I loved my epidural. I could still move my legs and feel pressure, but it took the overwhelming pain away.

I say go for it!

June 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This will be my 4th time too. I was induced with my first 2 (a week past due date) and with my third I went on my own a few days early which made me happy. I did have epidurals. With my first two I had pitocin and that made the contractions more painful. I feel pretty certain that without it I could have gone without the epidural. In any case--I had no issues. I was able to feel contractions and feel myself pushing and I had no residual effects. My babies were alert and nursed right away. With my third I had a LITTLE pitocin and so I got an epidural--which didn't work!! So that was pretty painful. Again, I think without pitocin I could have handled it. But the delivery went quickly once I started pushing. Again no residual effects.

This time around I am going to just play it by ear. I doubt I will have to be induced. Hopefully no pitocin too. I am kind of excited because my hospital is brand spanking new and basically luxurious. So I am pretty stoked to deliver there! I've heard it's like a fancy hotel, ha ha!
June 3rd, 2013, 08:59 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I had an epidural with my first, and I did not like it. Also, just a warning...they do not work on everyone. For me...it only worked on half of my body. The other side I could feel everything still. So it was sorta pointless. You can't feel yourself pushing as well, and need more direction.. and you are more likely to tear with an epidural (because you can't feel the pushing as well). My second baby I did completely drug-free, and I thought the recovery afterwards was much better...no tears despite them being exactly the same size at birth...and I didn't feel as blah. I felt more energized, probably because the natural high kicks in, whereas with an epi it doesn't really, or not nearly as much...

I've definitely been thinking about L&D already. It's such an unknown, and even more so with twins. I want to do everything to avoid a c-section as possible...I just think I would have a horrendous time with a 3 and 4 year old at home and having twins to take care of with my belly sliced open and stitched back together....yikes. Plus when I have had to get stitches in the past, I've ended up with bad scars (when I've been told I'd have none) and they don't heal as fast or as well...so the possibility of a large incision has me scared. I just imagine prolonged healing time and possible infections. Ugh.

I've also learned that my hospital now offers extra perks for new moms...you get to pick out one spa treatment - either a massage or manicure - and you get to have a pizza party for your whole family or a gourmet dinner for two. Their regular food is great for a hospital. So...hopefully the twins won't be born too eariy and I won't have to go to the one a few miles away with the level 3 nicu. If they aren't too early, my regular hospital will be just fine.

Last edited by JulieMc; June 3rd, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
June 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
I think if I wasn't induced with DD and I didn't experience such intense pain, I would never consider an epidural. I had no problem declining it with my boys and with DD but then I had no idea what intense pain was waiting for me being induced. I did ask about it while I was in the midst of active labor with DD but I didn't think I could sit still long enough to have it inserted and when they checked me next I was at 10 and no point in it anyways. This time, if I'm induced again I'm pretty certain I'll ask for it from the beginning. If I'm not induced I'll consider going drug free again. My cousin had an epidural when she had her son a few months before DS1 was born and her experience scared me so much I didn't want it. I don't like the idea of not being able to get up and move, that is part of why I'm on the fence about it.

I tore for every baby I've delivered so I would probably tear again, with or without an epidural. DD was the worst tear because I wanted her out immediately. I pushed her so hard that she was out on the second push. I didn't even consider that I would tear so badly. I just wanted her out and to be done.

June 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
Double post.

June 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Oh being induced makes it so much worse and hard to handle -- that's why I get the epidural with my first. With my second, with more natural contractions and progression, I didn't need it. If I had to be induced again, I'd try to go without, but I'm not very confident that I'd make it very long without an epidural...pitocin is some evil stuff!!
nlinden and kara74 like this.

June 3rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive been thinking about it recently, I want to try to do it all natural with no drugs, but I have a feeling I may cave and ask for an epidural

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
June 3rd, 2013, 09:58 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Pitocin is the devil.lol

I had an epidural with my vaginal birth and loved it. I don't regret it at all.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 3rd, 2013, 10:03 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh--I tore with my first two but not with my third. I don't think having an epidural made a difference in that for me. And my dr keeps the epidural low enough so I can still push on my own. It would be weird to have to be directed, I wouldn't like that either. I definitely felt it the third time!!
June 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
It surely is evil stuff! I hadn't even considered that I would be induced and it was a sudden decision on my OB's part so I never researched it. I had a decel at my last OB appt. and was sent directly to the hospital. Had I researched it, I'd have known how bad it is lol. I researched it after the fact to see wth went on and was relieved to find out that it wasn't just me, that others had similar experiences being induced.

June 3rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
My doctor ordered it and I don't think I needed it. I wad progressing fine in my own.i was a VBAC and he told me I had two hours before he took me to the OR. I will be declining pitocin this time and will be telling him to stuff his C-section.lol
I only have a 1 in 6 chance of getting the same doctor anyway.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 3rd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My water broke and DD and there was meconium. They immediately hooked me up to pitocin. I wanted to see how long I could brave contractions on my own and when I could barely breathe through them I got my epidural. OMG it was amazing!!! I was fortunate enough not to rip or have to be cut. *crossing my fingers it happens again*

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 3rd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had two epidurals in 2 hospitals and both have been great. I got them both very late in the game (the first by choice and second because the anesthetist was occupied) and this time I plan on asking earlier.

No complications with either. The second one initially only worked on half my body but they gave me another dose and had me change position and then it worked. I could still move and feel pressure from the contractions, but not pain. My second I gave birth up in the squatting position on the bed, with my epidural in place. The only bad part was when they remove the epidural catheter and have to pull the tape off your back. Think big bandaid
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
June 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my first four at home naturally, and then I had my fifth in the hospital with an epidural. I LOVED IT! But I also spent a good many hours with a nurse up to her elbow rubbing and turning baby's head~I would not have survived without it! I would love to hug my anesthesiologist (sp), as he was FABULOUS!!! Knocked ALL the pain out COMPLETELY. I felt NOTHING. They had to tell me when I was having contractions so I could push. It was a crazy labor~they had to invert the table even~and so I did still get very tired. At least there was a prize at the end! WHAT A RIDE!

As I consider how to proceed with labor this time, I am torn. I definitely loved my epidural experience since my labors have gotten so long, but I hate that in the hospital they take the baby from me. I'm guessing we'll do another wait-and-see labor to determine how to proceed. Know you are not alone though, as the fear of labor grew for me with each pregnancy.

ETA that my sweet newborn had not trouble latching on and nursing for forty-five minutes afterward!

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"

Last edited by hugssandi; June 3rd, 2013 at 11:12 AM.
June 3rd, 2013, 10:56 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably should have also mentioned that I had pitocin, so that did factor into my decision to get an epi! I got it 6 hours in, but probably an hour into pitocin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kara74 View Post
I think if I wasn't induced with DD and I didn't experience such intense pain, I would never consider an epidural. I had no problem declining it with my boys and with DD but then I had no idea what intense pain was waiting for me being induced. I did ask about it while I was in the midst of active labor with DD but I didn't think I could sit still long enough to have it inserted and when they checked me next I was at 10 and no point in it anyways. This time, if I'm induced again I'm pretty certain I'll ask for it from the beginning. If I'm not induced I'll consider going drug free again. My cousin had an epidural when she had her son a few months before DS1 was born and her experience scared me so much I didn't want it. I don't like the idea of not being able to get up and move, that is part of why I'm on the fence about it.

I tore for every baby I've delivered so I would probably tear again, with or without an epidural. DD was the worst tear because I wanted her out immediately. I pushed her so hard that she was out on the second push. I didn't even consider that I would tear so badly. I just wanted her out and to be done.

June 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Not reading all the posts here...

Anyway, I didn't really like my first 2 epidurals. I got them because I needed them (I've been induced all four previous time, and will probably be this time too), but thinking back, it wasn't all that great. With Cora they had to try 3 times to get it in, so it was super high, and then they turned it up a lot. I had to be told when I had a contraction, because I could feel NOTHING. With Erin, he got it in on the first try, but still, I felt NOTHING. I felt like labor was something happening to me, rather than something I was doing. So with Patrick I decided to try without one.

Needless to say, I got one. But it was a much bigger city, bigger hospital, and better anesthesiologist, and I was amazed that I could still move my legs, and feel my contractions, they just didn't HURT like they did before. It was amazing.

And with Allison it was the same experience as with Patrick.

So this time, I'm hoping for the same as the last two. I go as far as I can without getting one, but when I get to the point I'm having a panic attack as the next contraction starts, I just need the epi.

Maybe I'll go into labor on my own before I'm induced this time? That'd be nice.

June 3rd, 2013, 12:09 PM
mamakelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm all for natural births. 2 so far with no pain meds, and 1 bad epi experience, hoping to do it without anything again with number 4.

June 3rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Ohhh epidural. Mine was a nightmare.

I was induced and was on pitocin for 18 hours before I gave in and got the epi just so I could sleep. (I only had the epi for 5 hours total). I had back labor and it felt like someone was hitting me in the lower back with a 2x4.

The epidural --- ugh. I asked for Zofran and they didnt give it until after the epi (so once the epi was placed i was throwing up left and right -- i don't handle hard drugs at all) The doctor missed the first time and hit a vein and blamed me for moving (I told her to wait i was having a contraction!). Then she got it, and I said to use the tegederm strips on my back and no tape because I am allergic. Guess who used tape? Yeah THAT was a fun nightmare. Red, blistered skin for weeks that hurt when water and clothes touched. The epidural worked about 90% after 15 minutes -- i had to lay on my right side to get the rest to take. All was well until we realized (30 minutes before I was going to push) that I could not move my legs. So I asked that they turn off the epi, and they did. Once it was off, I was fine -- felt everything. Peeing after they removed my urinary catheter was ROUGH. Id skip the epi just to NOT go through THAT nightmare again.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 3rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been watching a ton of birthy type stuff on netflix/hulu the last few weeks. I am learning quite a bit actually. I always think about labor well before I should...

With Zach I wasn't that far along and so it was natural. With Greyson I was induced and while my labor was fairly quick for being induced I wound up with a fever as a reaction the Epidural. In some ways it was a bonus because I pretty much slept the whole labor and only woke once I started feeling my contractions because the Epi was wearing off. I got a boost right about the time I started pushing that took most of the pain away but I could feel. I will say before that when I first got the Epi I could feel NOTHING and I didn't realy care for that.

I am going to go into this labor the same as I did the last. I want to try for natural labor but if I wind up getting and epi I am okay with that, although I will ask for it to be a lower amount so that I might be able to feel something......then again not feeling anything last time and sleeping the whole time was pretty fab!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search