Had my 10w appointment today

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JulieMc
  • 1 Post By TwinMamaS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2013, 05:08 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
My 10 week appointment was today, my first with my midwife. I was excited for it, but it ended up being a bit of a let down. She was happy for me, but seemed rushed...and now informs me that she has to check with the doctor she works under to see if she'll be able to see me for the duration of my pregnancy. If she can, they'll co-manage me and I'll see them both. If the doc says no, then I won't be allowed to see her. If that ends up being the case, I will not be sticking around that practice...at least for this pregnancy...because I don't like getting assigned a doctor... if I have to see an OB and can't see my midwife, then I'll choose who that will be. I'll also be seeing a maternal fetal doctor, but not likely til 18 weeks, and then once every 4 weeks to monitor growth of the twins.

I have never met this OB that she now works under. It used to be this other doctor, whom I've unfortunately have dealt with and it was't a good experience. So, I'm glad he is out of the picture, but am nervous about this new lady. I really hope she's not the slice and dice mentality, and will let my midwife continue to see me. But...you know OBs....they like "special" or "out of the ordinary" cases, and I have this fear that she'll want to keep me all to herself because it's a twin pregnancy. I hope I am wrong. I really don't want to have to find another provider. But I don't want someone who will bully me into things, or mandate a c-section and not let me at least try for vaginal birth. Blah.

My next appointment is in a month with the OB so I can meet her and discuss. I won't see my midwife til the end of July. So, I am still without answers and won't have any for awhile...which is kinda annoying.

Anyways..back to the appointment. She tried to find the heartbeats with the doppler, but couldn't. So, I got all worried. She wasn't sure what the ultrasound protocol was for twins, so she decided to send me to the maternal fetal office today for an ultrasound because she said I'd be going there alot eventually anyways. They made the appointment for 1:15pm, so I had time to kill between. The form she had checked off "suspect fetal anomaly" and wrote "- FHTs", which had me worried.

The ultrasound tech who did the scan was really nice and found them quickly. Bonus -- I got a regular abdominal scan...they did not need to do the transvaginal. Yay! They are BOTH measuring ahead by 3-4 days. So, yay, for big twins. I like that news. Then the MFM doc came in and said everything looked good and said that my next ultrasound, if I want, would be a NT one and then the anatomy one at 18 weeks...and then every 4 weeks (or 2 weeks) after that til the end. He said I have di-di twins, which is the safest and doesn't need as strict of monitoring early on...so that's good. Oh..and the tech noted anterior placentas on the screen....so, that means that they are both on the front then, instead of to the back? That'll be interesting I guess...never had that before. No wonder they couldn't find the heartbeats...

So, in summary: the twins look good. They're probably fraternal, but still a tiny chance of identicals if they split early enough to be di-di. I don't know what the heck is gonna happen with my prenatal care and it's going to drive me bonkers until I get an answer.
*Leah* likes this.

Last edited by JulieMc; June 5th, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
June 5th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I'm sorry your appointment didn't go as well as you hoped, but I'm glad you got some relief from the ultrasound. I'm also pregnant with twins (fraternal) and seeing an OB. My doctor told me that increased monitoring won't begin until around 20-26 weeks. I hope you like the OB at your midwife's practice, but if you don't, more power to you to find one that you feel comfortable with. Especially with twins, you need someone who can be informative but also reassuring as there is more risk involved. Good luck to you!
JulieMc likes this.
June 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How exciting! I hope all works out so that you are getting care in the exact way that you'd like to!!!!

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 5th, 2013, 07:15 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Sorry your appointment didn't go as you wanted. Yay for an extra peek at the babies though!

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search