Log In Sign Up

Circumcision: Why the big deal?!


Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree177Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
June 10th, 2013, 07:41 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sewickley, PA
Posts: 39,230
I have never regretted my choice. Also, it is possible to express your feelings about something without having an undertone of judgment. I am not the only one who sees it here. And if you knew me at all you would know I am not sensitive let alone overly so.
__________________












***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
Reply With Quote
  #22  
June 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I am a stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
I think you're being overly paranoid and sensitive, if that is what you got out of my post an others. From what I can see everyone is being pretty civil, but it is impossible to discuss the topic without sharing our individual opinions, which may offend others by their very nature! If you can't take the heat, stay away from the fire.

I have gotten plenty of remarks from pro-circ people like "your son is going to get made fun of", or even "girls won't want to give him a blowjob" and stupid ignorant stuff like that.....I just let it go in one ear and out the other. I've also gotten plenty of stupid remarks about my children's sleeping arrangements (bed sharing in particular). I disagree with sticking a baby in their own room by themselves, but I know plenty of people who do it that way. Whatever floats your boat!
Dated, slept with and gave a guy that was not circ'd a BJ. It's really no different. The ONLY difference is pulling back foreskin before putting a condom on.

Just sayin'


As for judgments going on -- I make none of no one. If your child is healthy and happy -- i don't really care if you raise them with wild elephants. Everyone has their own way of doing things with the SAME outcome in the end. It's like BF/FF. You STILL get a happy healthy child either way you choose! It's like driving vs. flying -- you still get to your destination at the end!
__________________
Samantha (30) (Hashimoto's)
DH: Joseph (33) (Oligoasthenoteratospermia)
DS1: Johnathan "J.J" (4.5)
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
June 10th, 2013, 08:03 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm a husker girl :)
Posts: 16,335
I dont think anyone is passing judgement. I think sometimes people who chose not to circ/will choose not to circ come across as judgey online because you can't hear tone. When the non-circ'ers state their views, it's usually reasons like no world health organization in the world recommends it, insurance companies don't cover it, there's been a loss of sexual function because of it, etc..and i think sometimes people who make different choices feel attacked by those reasons, but while I can't speak for everyone who has chosen not to have the surgery performed, I personally am not attacking anyone - I'm just stating my perspective. I think it's just such a sensitive subject that it's hard not to feel attacked, no matter what side of the fence you're on.
The bottom line is, as long as you're making an informed decision you should be confident in that decision. I know a LOT of moms regret their decision to circ, and have circ'd their first 1-2 sons, and gone on to leave son 3, 4, etc. intact because the information we have available now just wasn't out there 8-10 years ago, and that's okay. I just dont think it's fair to the people who haven't had to make the decision to not allow them to hear both sides of the fence, again, no matter what side you're on, you should feel comfortable and confident in your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
Dated, slept with and gave a guy that was not circ'd a BJ. It's really no different. The ONLY difference is pulling back foreskin before putting a condom on.

Just sayin'
i gotta say, the best sex I've had was with an intact man.
__________________

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; June 10th, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
June 10th, 2013, 08:05 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,706
I don't have a son, so I've never had to make this decision. I do have a daughter and chose NOT to have her ears pierced for the same reasons that you ladies mentioned above, she is 6 and they are still not pierced. She can tell me when she wants to have that done.

The topic of circumcision, however, is in the bible. In Genesis Chapter 17 verse 9, God tells Abraham that he is to be circumcised and all the generations that follow are to also be circumcised at 8 days old, the verses even reference adopted children that come into your home.

I don't think that either choice, for or against, is the wrong one. As long as you as parents are happy with the decision that you made, you shouldn't and won't be judged by me.
summerbaby1 likes this.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #25  
June 10th, 2013, 08:08 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
Dated, slept with and gave a guy that was not circ'd a BJ. It's really no different. The ONLY difference is pulling back foreskin before putting a condom on.

Just sayin'

Funnily enough, I've only heard this comment made by guys who are circ'd or women who only have been with circ'd guys. It's silly to say cuz I'm sure the rest of the world's men are still getting BJs. lol. U.S. is one of the few places in the world where it's more common to be circ'd (and even that is changing now...numbers are falling fast).
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #26  
June 10th, 2013, 08:09 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sewickley, PA
Posts: 39,230
Nothing about the way you just expressed yourself was judgy or self righteous. I totally respect what you just said and agree that people should be informed.
ChicaChels likes this.
__________________












***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
Reply With Quote
  #27  
June 10th, 2013, 08:09 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,706
Just out of curiousity, why do you have to pull back the foreskin before putting on the condom?

I hate to sound ignorant, I just didn't know that and I've never been with a man that was intact. You don't have to answer if you don't want to and I'm so sorry if this question is forward, I'm just really curious
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #28  
June 10th, 2013, 08:17 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesgirl09 View Post
The topic of circumcision, however, is in the bible. In Genesis Chapter 17 verse 9, God tells Abraham that he is to be circumcised and all the generations that follow are to also be circumcised at 8 days old, the verses even reference adopted children that come into your home.

That was under the Old Covenant though. We are supposed to follow the rules of the New Convenant, and circumcision is not included in that ( just like animal sacrifice, which fell under the same category). Also, circumcisions of that era were completely different than that of today...they used to just cut a small piece off the tip.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #29  
June 10th, 2013, 08:25 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,286
People aren't going to agree on everything. There are MANY lifestyle choices that people in the DDC will make that others don't agree with, wouldn't choose for themselves, etc. I think the problem is when people say that the REASONS for those choices are wrong. If someone has their own personal justification for their own choice, it is really none of anyone's business.
swade66 and kara74 like this.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #30  
June 10th, 2013, 08:29 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,004
Let's be clear: I was never making any judgement. I simply stated MY reasons for why we did not circ our son, and why will will not circ any future sons. If I came off as judgy, then I'm sorry, that was not my intention. I could really care less what other people do as long as it doesn't effect me or my family. I think Chelsea explained bit better than me. I tend to be blunt and not bother with all the fluff and explanations (if that's not already evident to those of you who don't know me in here).

__________________




Reply With Quote
  #31  
June 10th, 2013, 08:44 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesgirl09 View Post
Just out of curiousity, why do you have to pull back the foreskin before putting on the condom?

I hate to sound ignorant, I just didn't know that and I've never been with a man that was intact. You don't have to answer if you don't want to and I'm so sorry if this question is forward, I'm just really curious
I've honestly never seen one in real life besides my son! lol But from what I have read, the foreskin retracts during intercourse and just like a ribbed condom, the ribs are for her pleasure. It also helps keep the moisture inside the woman so she doesn't have to work as hard. And it exposes the head so he gets pleasure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
June 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I am a stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 10,467
Julie: Jewish religion follows the old though. Which is why at 8 days, there is a bris.

As for why you have to retract the foreskin before putting on a condom: It allows for more pleasure for him (and easier cleanup for him too)
__________________
Samantha (30) (Hashimoto's)
DH: Joseph (33) (Oligoasthenoteratospermia)
DS1: Johnathan "J.J" (4.5)
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
June 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
Julie: Jewish religion follows the old though. Which is why at 8 days, there is a bris.
Oh, I know....but plenty of Christians use that as the reason for circumcision, when it's simply not the right argument.
summerbaby1 likes this.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #34  
June 10th, 2013, 09:26 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sewickley, PA
Posts: 39,230
But why should there even be an argument? Yes I do. Or. No we don't. The end. I don't need a third party to break it down for me. Or to tell me it is harming my poor defenseless baby. Those comments are meant to tug at heart strings. Share the facts and move on.
It's like with BFing. I am a huge BF person and I will suggest anyone should try but I am not going to tell you your kid will be dumber if you don't.
NCRG2010 and Miss-Melissa-Sue like this.
__________________












***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
Reply With Quote
  #35  
June 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I am a stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 10,467
Picture this:

FIL is VERY Catholic. (Like our children are a sin because they are from IVF)
My grandfather is VERY Jewish.

(My mom is Christian, dad is Jewish, I was raised both. My parents are not religious, and neither am I or DH).


Do you understand the pressures we had from family? LOL

Do you know how upset they were that a) there was no bris and b) there was no baptism? LOL.


In my sons pre-school he told me maybe a week ago that one of the kids in his class saw his penis and said it was "bigger than his". Never made mention that it looked different (just that it was bigger) after the discussion of we don't measure our penis with other penis', I told him his penis might be different than other boys but that everyone, even girls vagina's all look different. He was fine and that was that

Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
But why should there even be an argument? Yes I do. Or. No we don't. The end. I don't need a third party to break it down for me. Or to tell me it is harming my poor defenseless baby. Those comments are meant to tug at heart strings. Share the facts and move on.
It's like with BFing. I am a huge BF person and I will suggest anyone should try but I am not going to tell you your kid will be dumber if you don't.
It's with anything though.

Circing.

BF/FF

Rear facing beyond 2 years

Co-sleeping

Diapering

Clothing

Schooling

Vaccinations

Ear piercing


Everyone will think their way, is the right way because of XYZ. I always tell people, DO YOUR RESEARCH WITH EVERYTHING. Find out WHY circing is good and not good. Find out why rear facing beyond 2 is good and not good, find out why vaccines are good/not good, etc.
__________________
Samantha (30) (Hashimoto's)
DH: Joseph (33) (Oligoasthenoteratospermia)
DS1: Johnathan "J.J" (4.5)
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
June 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
But why should there even be an argument? Yes I do. Or. No we don't. The end. I don't need a third party to break it down for me. Or to tell me it is harming my poor defenseless baby. Those comments are meant to tug at heart strings. Share the facts and move on.
It's like with BFing. I am a huge BF person and I will suggest anyone should try but I am not going to tell you your kid will be dumber if you don't.
So...wait..you're saying we should just not explain our reasons? So people can't be informed? I'll be honest...I did NOT do my research before my son, or just plain ignored it....and I fully believed all boys should be circ'd. If I had a kid earlier in life, he may have well be circumsized. But this forum opened my eyes. If not for others posting their differing opinions and links to more information, there's a good chance my son would be circ'd. Telling people to keep their reasons to themselves is harmful. It doesn't encourage making an INFORMED decision, which is what deciding to or not to circumsize should be. If you are aware of all "arguments" for or against, you can make the decision that is best for you or your family and have peace in that decision...not regret it later because you failed to research and learn about the other options.

And...actually....breastfeeding is shown to cause a jump in IQ in SOME people, but only those with a certain gene....in others without the gene it has no effect one way or another. interesting fact.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #37  
June 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,389
While I understand why it's a hot topic, I firmly believe it's each individual family's choice whether or not to do it. I don't believe people should be judged either way. Personally, I do circumcize my male children and if this baby is male, he will also be circumcized. If other families choose not to circumcize their sons, it's fine with me. It's not my child to make a decision for.
anybodyinthere likes this.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #38  
June 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,719
I didn't see anyone say YOU were harming your baby. I think you need to calm down. Your reading into things that don't exist. Other people are allowed to explain why they made their choice just like you can. And when they differ from yours, it doesn't mean it was directed at you.

You really thought this post would go "yes i did" "no we didn't" and that would be it. That wouldn't even be answering the orginal question.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
June 10th, 2013, 10:14 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,286
In conclusion, this discussion has been a clear example of why it is a big deal. lol!

Just in case anyone missed the irony.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #40  
June 10th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I am a stranger in a strange land.
Posts: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by anybodyinthere View Post
In conclusion, this discussion has been a clear example of why it is a big deal. lol!

Just in case anyone missed the irony.

LOL.

I can not STRESS the importance of RESEARCHING EVERYTHING. Maybe it's because I don't trust ANYONE, but i researched EVERYTHING that we did or didn't do for my son. You will be surprised at what you find! (Including incompetent doctors! To which, my son has one, and we settled out of Court with the hospital -- and he was supposed to be a GOOD doctor -- but he got caught lying!)
__________________
Samantha (30) (Hashimoto's)
DH: Joseph (33) (Oligoasthenoteratospermia)
DS1: Johnathan "J.J" (4.5)
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0