Circumcision: Why the big deal?!

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree177Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If we have a boy whether we decide to circ or not is personally not anyone's business. DH and I will research and make the best decision for us. I will not discuss it with anyone else. It is our child and our decision. Thank you ladies for posting links to both sides. I agree with an earlier poster, topics like this are like politics and religion and I chose not to discuss them.
ErinBoshnyak1985 likes this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 10th, 2013, 08:33 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I keep seeing "as long as you make an educated choice" or "as long as you do your research". I'm not sure that even matters to me. If someone makes a choice based on complete ignorance of the topic and they make the best decision they feel they can make for their child, then the outcome is completely irrelevant. I don't believe that the large majority of people flip a coin and do it. I think they are making the choice that they believe is in the best interest of their child, regardless of the information behind it.

I know there are sometimes problems on both sides but the number of complications on either side versus the number of decisions in this topic being made on a daily basis prove that neither of the choices is most likely going to irreparably harm your child physically, mentally or emotionally.

Why can't we all just support each other in the decisions we make? Whether I agree or disagree, I will defend your right to make the decision you believe is the best for your child in any one of the controversial topics. We face enough judgment and criticism from friends, family and society. Why not agree that as moms we will support each other?
*Jen*, swade66, NCRG2010 and 5 others like this.

June 10th, 2013, 11:16 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post

Why can't we all just support each other in the decisions we make? Whether I agree or disagree, I will defend your right to make the decision you believe is the best for your child in any one of the controversial topics. We face enough judgment and criticism from friends, family and society. Why not agree that as moms we will support each other?
While everyone is bringing up good points from sides and posting good links.

I have to say though that this is the absolute best thing I've ever heard regarding mommy debates.
ErinBoshnyak1985 likes this.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.
June 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the end, everyone is going to make their own decision. My whole thing is, like ChicaChels said, more parents need to know that this IS a decision, and that there is an alternative option to circumcision. Rather than going in thinking that circumcision is the only route.
HorseGal likes this.

June 11th, 2013, 09:34 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No offense, but I'm not sure how anyone can think that circumcision is the only route. When I had my boys, I was asked if I wanted them circumcized or not. No one pressured me to do it and obviously if I was asked then there was another option. It's not like the Dr. took the baby and did it without asking. Obviously the baby is born uncircumcized so you would have the option of keeping him that way as the other option to circumcision.
MindyRambo likes this.

June 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara74 View Post
No offense, but I'm not sure how anyone can think that circumcision is the only route. When I had my boys, I was asked if I wanted them circumcized or not. No one pressured me to do it and obviously if I was asked then there was another option. It's not like the Dr. took the baby and did it without asking. Obviously the baby is born uncircumcized so you would have the option of keeping him that way as the other option to circumcision.

We have to sign forms to be treated for a broken arm. That doesn't make someone stop and think "why am I signing a form, is there another route?".

When all you know is "everyone is cir'd" then thats all you know. Forms or not.

I wouldnt have known otherwise had it not been for my JM family. I grew up believing it was 'dirty' and only 'poor foreign countries full of AID's don't do it'. Never even learned about foreskin in my college sex ed classes.
June 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
I always assumed I would have it done but when we found out our 2nd was a boy, I felt like I needed to research it. After finding that it wasn't medically necessary I looked into it more and what swayed me to leaving him in tact was a forum I found of men who had not been circ'd as babies but had it done as an adult - the only people who truly knew both sides. And every single one of them regretted having it done. Thankfully, after researching on his own, my husband came to the same conclusion so it wasn't an issue and we left him, and our next boy, in tact
June 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
Honestly coming from someone who is learning more about the pro's/con's I've really enjoyed reading the comments from you ladies and seeing it from both perspectives.

This topic first arose between me and DF a few weeks ago when we were discussing the "if we have a boy" type topics. He immediately said he DID NOT want our son circumcised. When DF was born the nurse came in and said " ok we're going to do the circumcision now'' and his mother was like "whooooaaa....heck no". At first I balked at the thought of not doing it...DF isn't and I had no problems with that, but my thoughts were along the lines of where I've lived all my life and in my family it's one of those "expected" things and to be honest I was afraid of judgement. However, after watching about 2 minutes of a circumcision on a newborn boy I started looking into the topic more, and as of now, it's not something that we prefer for our child. All the male children in my family are, which is fine for them, but our little one can do without that in my opinion.
*~ Joni ~* and CherryLimeade like this.

June 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
ErinBoshnyak1985's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow....I'm reading this thread I started....and I really hope I didn't alienate anyone....

So here's what I got from this:
*DO YOUR RESEARCH!
*Every family is different, so do what you feel is right and just for your son
*This is not the only controversy on babies out there
*Children will always find something to make fun of others for (that might just be my own thought)

Maybe if we do have a boy, I won't tell anyone whether he's circed or not. That's his and his parent's business. I personally would feel as if his privacy was being displayed.

Also, I have never had sex with a man who was circed! I've never really given it much thought....it wasn't really my first thought in DTD anyway
feythful and hugssandi like this.

Happy April Fools Day on me!!! @ 17DPO

Read My Journal! http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...ttle-newt.html
Belly Pics! Updated Weekly!!!http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...elly-pics.html

June 15th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not from this ddc but I saw this topic and was interested. In the UK nobody has their sons circumcised except for Jewish people. I understand if they follow that in their religion.I wouldn't put my kids through any proceedure that wasn't necessary. So what are the reasons for the proceedure?

[/url]

Last edited by shell1981; June 15th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
June 15th, 2013, 03:58 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So it wouldn't naturally occur to you that you can keep your child the way he was born if others hadn't told you? Forget signing papers, if a child is born intact he can stay that way. IDK maybe because I figured that out on my own I assume everyone could. Every male in my family is circ'ed and every guy I had been with had been circ'ed but I still knew I had the option to keep my sons intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post
We have to sign forms to be treated for a broken arm. That doesn't make someone stop and think "why am I signing a form, is there another route?".

When all you know is "everyone is cir'd" then thats all you know. Forms or not.

I wouldnt have known otherwise had it not been for my JM family. I grew up believing it was 'dirty' and only 'poor foreign countries full of AID's don't do it'. Never even learned about foreskin in my college sex ed classes.
MindyRambo likes this.

June 16th, 2013, 08:58 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
So it wouldn't naturally occur to you that you can keep your child the way he was born if others hadn't told you? Forget signing papers, if a child is born intact he can stay that way. IDK maybe because I figured that out on my own I assume everyone could. Every male in my family is circ'ed and every guy I had been with had been circ'ed but I still knew I had the option to keep my sons intact.
Apparently you didn't read my post. It naturally occured to me that all i knew about forskin prior to researching myself was exactly what i posted earlier. That it was dirty and only not done in poor countries.
CherryLimeade likes this.
June 16th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have to say that around the area I am now...no it wouldn't occur to them. It is what everyone does because they are supposed to. Most of them don't know there is another way. To them having them cut is the only way and what is natural. This is hard to explain on here. I don't think it occurs to most of them that their baby can remain that way because all they know/hear/learn about is circumcision. Does that make any sense?
summerbaby1 likes this.

June 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^ yes it makes sense - another thing for me, if you look through a&p books, sex ed books, etc...the penises are ALWAYS circumcised. americans just generally aren't exposed to intact penises. i had a doula client who didnt know what she was having and when the baby came out an intact boy she thought there was something wrong with him and he had a growth. she didnt realize they were born that way and circumcision was a surgical procedure. you'd be surprised what people do and don't know!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; June 18th, 2013 at 12:15 PM.
June 17th, 2013, 03:35 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I liken it to this: Some people really are born in a barn! LOL! I am sure I have a few issues like this as well.
monkeymama2 and MindyRambo like this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 17th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugssandi View Post
I liken it to this: Some people really are born in a barn! LOL! I am sure I have a few issues like this as well.
Not to make light of the original issue, but I just realized the other day that frozen yogurt wasn't another name for a special kind of ice cream, it is actually yogurt that's frozen. You'd think at 29 years old, I'd have had that figured out, but I really had no clue...my husband was amazed.
summerbaby1 and hugssandi like this.

June 17th, 2013, 04:41 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL! That makes me think of Jessica Simpson and Chicken of the Sea....
feythful likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 17th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Ahh the wonders of a "gifted" mind.
hugssandi likes this.

June 17th, 2013, 07:35 AM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I have enjoyed reading both sides. I will still make my own decision regardless.

My eyes have been opened up though that there are options.
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569