First pregnancy, need tips on maternity clothing!

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anybodyinthere

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM
So I'm a few days shy of the official end of my first trimester and I'm already showing, although my little bump cannot be seen when I'm wearing clothes. Even though I've been told that I don't look pregnant, I feel VERY pregnant, haha. I'm crazy bloated and down to about two pairs of pants I can wear comfortably still and two other pairs that I can wear mostly comfortably when I loop a hairband from the button hole to extend the waist.

I REALLY want to be comfortable this summer and not have to use little tricks to stay in my clothes. I love maxi dresses but have had difficulty finding them in my size (pregnancy or not). I have two that I purchased pre-pregnancy and I think they will be awesome for the summer. I'd love to incorporate some basic pieces that will go from summer to fall and maybe even winter to get more bang for my buck.

Before I go shopping this weekend, does anyone have suggestions for pieces I should invest in?

Thanks in advance!
June 10th, 2013, 02:27 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tank tops! You can wear them layered during the summer and you will probably want to wear them under maternity tops in the fall/winter.

Definitely invest in like white, black, and a few other colors.

One good pair of maternity jeans.

I'm also a fan of leggings. Good, thick ones that you can wear with tunics.

Don't buy all of your clothes now. I wore a XS maternity size in the beginning until around 25 weeks, then a S, then by the last month, I needed a M so I wasn't showing skin. (As far as tops)

Where pants are concerned, I needed SMALLER pants as I got more pregnant because my butt and legs melted away. It's very individual.

And don't try to wear the same bra size the whole time. Get fitted at a good boutique even if you don't buy there.
bundle2baby likes this.

June 10th, 2013, 02:48 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good tips already. I agree to not buy all at once. You never know! My boobs got HUGE with my first. This time, no. So I have all these mega bras ill never wear again. Leggings are a good idea. And I agree about tank tops. I layer all year round. I think old navy has good, affordable stuff. There is a used clothing store near me that is a good place for nicer tops and dresses.
June 10th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the tank tops and leggings! I have a couple of short dresses I will be able to wear most of the summer with leggings. Another nice thing about tank tops is if you do have to cover up for work, etc. you can throw a cardigan over it. The cardigan doesn't really need to be big enough to cover the whole belly.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 10th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree buy in stages. Also check out old navy maternity. They are super cheap.

And lmao at mega bra comment
June 10th, 2013, 10:17 PM
CA-mommy-to-be's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Shop around for what you like. A lot of stores carry maternity clothes - Sears, Target, JC Penney, Old Navy, etc. Definitely buy in stages. What works now may not be as comfortable or as cute in a few months with a rounder belly.

Welcomed daughter Miranda on December 18, 2013

Never doubt someone's passion. I'm a women engineer and proud of it!

June 11th, 2013, 05:22 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with buying in stages.

Just like regular jeans, try many brands and styles of maternity jeans on before buying. This is my 4th and I'm still on the hunt for decent fitting maternity jeans.

Maxi dresses work great. Very comfy and you don't have to buy maternity, you can just get regular size. I just bought 4 of them from Old Navy in my normal size and they're roomy enough that they should last me until early fall.

I, personally, have the most luck buying maternity from Old Navy and Kohls. Target has decent, inexpensive stuff, too.

June 11th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I was shopping over the weekend and noticed that Target has some nice maternity dresses. I also went to Kohls and got a few dresses (not in maternity section) that I think will stretch with a growing bump - also very affordable. I got a maxi dress, a knee-length dress, and a t-shirt for $30.
June 11th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you can, search around (maybe craigslist or a local sale page) for someone selling their whole lot of maternity clothes. Great way to get a load of lightly used clothing for cheap.

For summer, there are a lot of dresses out there that are not maternity but have either enough flow or stretch to suit a growing belly. Buy one size larger than normal. Maternity dresses look like a tent on me!!

Buy at least one good quality pair of maternity jeans. I love the GAP maternity jeans the best by far and I have tried lots of them.

For tops, I like stretchy, fitted maternity t-shirts. They fit all the way until the end and will be good for layering in the colder months. I also like the way fitted maternity clothes look rather than loose.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
June 17th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the tips! I got fitted for new bras yesterday because I was DYING in my old ones. I went from a B to a D! Crazy.
June 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Check out inexpensivematernityclothes [dot] com. Its a great resource for finding stylish and inexpensive maternity clothes. The articles I found most interesting were "8 Clothing Items in Your Pre-Pregnancy Closet that Convert to Great Maternity Clothes" and "Where To Find Inexpensive Maternity Clothes". When my bump started growing I was surprised at how I didn't really need very many items and how many of my pre-pregnancy outfits I was able to re-purpose. I am 28 weeks along now and have survived on a handful of new items. I don't thing I will be buying any more maternity outfits for the remainder of my ..
June 18th, 2013, 09:04 PM
BoyerMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I would agree checking on Craigslist, Ebay, Goodwill if budget is a concern. I was able to get some fall maternity items from Goodwill that were brand new. I think I am going to look into a Maxi too.

June 21st, 2013, 05:40 AM
Just got a gorgeous maternity dress at Goodwill! I am hoping to borrow tops from larger friends rather than buy. Since I was pretty slim pre-pregnancy and like to wear my clothes a little tight, I am running into problems. This is my first pregnancy too!

Tags
fashion , maternity clothing , shopping , style

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search