Calling all nerds...

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Are you a nerd? (Considering myself one, I use nerd and geek with a positive connotation, please don't take offense.)

If you are one, what hobbies or activities do you participate in that are nerdy or geeky?

Do you read obsessively?
Play an MMORPG (massive multi-player online game) or LARP (live action role play)?
How about my sci-fi geeks? Any Star Wars, Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica fans in here?

Do you have an area that you're passionately nerdy about? Like astonomy, history, entomology, etc?

June 12th, 2013, 02:58 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
KOREAN DRAMAS!!!!! dramacrazy.net is totally my crack!!!!! It's TERRIBLE!
NCRG2010 likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 12th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Hugssandi, I knew you would be posting to this. I can spot a fellow nerd a million miles away.

I play World of Warcraft and have for the better part of the last 7 years. I have tried other games as well, but this is the one I've stuck with.

I love to read and at any given time have 2-3 books in various states of progress. I love, love, LOVE historical fiction. Sometimes, I find it so interesting that I do more research about what actually happened or read a non-fiction about the same topic after I'm done with the book. My students loved to learn about the Tudor courts and Russian courts because I have done a TON of reading on those subjects and know all the scandals.
hugssandi likes this.

June 12th, 2013, 03:18 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
YES! I am loving well-written history accounts. I so enjoyed learning about the real Dong Yi and Yi San after some historical dramas~LOL! Funny how kings were the same all over the world. Just like the English kings who would drown their nephews and do anything to keep their crown, the Koreans did the same thing~like starving a son to death in a rice box out in the heat due to falsely believing he was plotting for the position.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 12th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Sci-fi/fantasy geek here. I grew up on both Star Wars and Star Trek (my parents went to Return of the Jedi when I was just a few months old, and my dad was a major trekkie for a while. When I was 11 I went with him and his Star Trek club, and dressed up and staged a phaser fight in the lobby to get into the most recent movie for free.)

I love movies, but mostly I'm a reader.
feythful and mommy-of-one like this.

June 12th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read. Everything and anything. Constantly
June 12th, 2013, 06:57 PM
SurferRosa's Avatar Doing it all over again
I'm a hardcore gamer ( I have every system and can't wait for xbox1). Skyrim was my crack and got me through my incredibly boring life with my last pregnancy. I was on strict bedrest from 4-8 months. I'm also a MMORPG addict, but not into WOW anymore only Runescape for about 8 yrs now (shhh, don't tell anyone )

I LOVE, LOVE, reading, watching, exploring anything about medieval history. I'm totally into the Habsburgs right now. My mum lives in Belgium and I'm in heaven whenever I'm there visiting her because of all the history everywhere. Anything about royalty, black death, crime/punishment, antiques, everyday life, etc that has to do with medieval times, I'm all over it.
June 12th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I love playing video games if that counts lol I have the Super nintendo, gamecube, wii, wii u, two PS3's and PS4 pre ordered
feythful likes this.

June 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Tech nerd here. Electronics get me excited. I have all the latest gadgets. Building, designing and running websites is my hobby turned into a good source of income.

June 12th, 2013, 09:05 PM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
Huge history buff, bona fide bookworm, just a general nosiness to find out about things in the world. I love Harry Potter and just recently got into the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series (steampunk type novels). I love mysteries/thrillers, love Star Wars, Indiana Jones ( I own a hat that was an "extra" on the set of Temple of Doom).
Df is s HUGE tech junkie...manages a computer store, has tons of gadgets and can fix anything from a tire to a motherboard on a Mac. I'm tech challenged so I use him a lot lol.

June 13th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm such a huge nerd. I read all the time. I love Star Wars, Star Trek, Harry Potter, Lord Of the Rings, Dr. Who, Game Of Thrones, and Sherlock to name a few. I love video games, both MMO (currently play SWOTOR) and console. I table top game/ role play D&D, Vampire, Game Of Thrones, Warhammer, Order of The Stick, and to name a few. I read and collect comics. I love history and science. I'm really into paranormal investigation. I'm sure I could go on and on!
mommy-of-one likes this.

June 13th, 2013, 05:20 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I am not a big reader (don't have time). I used to play Star Wars Galaxies long ago, and did play Knight of the old Republic for some time. I am a really large sci-fi geek -- Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, etc. I attend sci0fi conventions as well and long ago back in my younger days, used to costume at them
mommy-of-one likes this.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 13th, 2013, 05:59 AM
mommy-of-one's Avatar Veteran
This post almost made me nerdgasm yay!!!

If you are one, what hobbies or activities do you participate in that are nerdy or geeky? I attend Anime and SciFi/Geek Conventions on a regular basis (more so not pregnant...), I also work for a few in my area (we are known to travel up to 10 hours to get to a convention) (My signature cosplay is Harley Quinn, DH is Joker... One con I tricked him and dressed up as the joker as well, he walked right by me several times, even talked to me, and had no clue who I was -pics are in my siggy, inside the tardis lol, DH actually proposed at our favorite convention, in costume and all!)

Do you read obsessively? I read like its all there is to do! I tend to like SciFi books, such as the Game of Thrones series, the Sookie Stackhouse series, Twilight junkie, anything by Janet Evanovich, Jane Austen is my secret love that I usually don't tell people lol

Play an MMORPG (massive multi-player online game) or LARP (live action role play)? I played WoW for YEARS then decided the money and attention was better spent else where, so we gave it up. I love Diablo and still enjoy anything from the Orange Box... CounterStrike was my fave back in the day, also played Evony for about a year and a half

How about my sci-fi geeks? Any Star Wars, Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica fans in here? Battlestar Galactica is like crack to me... Our wedding toast ended with "So Say We All" and I walked down the aisle to New Hope from Star Wars... Serenity is one of my faves as well... We have started enjoying more of a modern techie SciFi culture lately, Dr. Who, Continuum, Defiance.. a few more too!

Do you have an area that you're passionately nerdy about? Like astonomy, history, entomology, etc? I absolutely LOVE math... I have been known to google Calculus problems (@ 27 yrs old) just to find them and do them for the heck of it...
feythful likes this.

Thank you to Peimum for my AMAZING siggy!

Last edited by mommy-of-one; June 13th, 2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: edited for bold
June 13th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Oh my goodness. How in the WORLD did I forget Dr. Who?? I have to admit that I haven't been able to watch since the Matt Smith regeneration. He seems so boring, but I suppose anyone would following David Tennant. I'm glad we're getting a new one so that I can start watching again!

Melissa, you're in good company. I asked my mom for a leather bound collection of Jane Austen for Christmas one year because I love her books so much. My husband just recently asked if I need both the BBC and Hollywood versions of the same movie, because I have both of them for Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion.
hugssandi likes this.

June 13th, 2013, 07:56 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read, A LOT!!! I have roughly about 750 books on my Ibooks and kindle, all the same books both in epub and mobi format so I'm never without them! I have them on my phone, my Ipad and my kindle fire. I read just about anything. I really enjoy biographies and true stories. I also have all my books in a back email format, incase my gadgets fail me, I can email them to myself and read through Adobe digital editions!!

Does this make me a nerd?????
bundle2baby and feythful like this.

June 13th, 2013, 08:37 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read a lot too! Lots of sci fi and fantasy. Game of Thrones is old news, and I am so glad they made a series. I watch a lot of sci fi and fantasy tv too when I can. I just started Dr Who so I guess I have a lot of catching up to do. I don't play games, I think that would be too much of a time suck for me.
June 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Mommy of one -- Ever been to Dragon Con in Atlanta? This will be my 10th year attending. Yes, I will be there 27 weeks pregnant. Crazy? Sure. But I would nice miss it for the world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 13th, 2013, 09:51 AM
mommy-of-one's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
Mommy of one -- Ever been to Dragon Con in Atlanta? This will be my 10th year attending. Yes, I will be there 27 weeks pregnant. Crazy? Sure. But I would nice miss it for the world.
SMALL WORLD!!! I am going this year as well, but this is my first at DragonCon!! The last few years we have been increasing our radius for travel, Atlanta was always just a tad too far until recently!
Originally we were going to skip it since it was the week before my wedding, but, since we moved the wedding up due to insurance, we get to go again!! I have been racking my brain for pregnant cosplay ideas LOL, I have 2 in August, 1 in Sept, and 1 in Nov if I still have the energy by then!
We def need to exchange info and meet up there, at least to say Hi!!

Thank you to Peimum for my AMAZING siggy!

June 13th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Proud nerd here. I'm an avid reader (history, autobiographies, cooking, technology) & tech junkie. Used to play video games back in the day (before kids), watched anime, went to Comic Con, etc. I don't have as much time anymore to be as nerdy as I'd like, but I still squeeze in as much reading as possible.
feythful likes this.

June 13th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy-of-one View Post
SMALL WORLD!!! I am going this year as well, but this is my first at DragonCon!! The last few years we have been increasing our radius for travel, Atlanta was always just a tad too far until recently!
Originally we were going to skip it since it was the week before my wedding, but, since we moved the wedding up due to insurance, we get to go again!! I have been racking my brain for pregnant cosplay ideas LOL, I have 2 in August, 1 in Sept, and 1 in Nov if I still have the energy by then!
We def need to exchange info and meet up there, at least to say Hi!!
You'll find me, sober, at the Marriott bar every night

I plan on going as pregnant Amy from Doctor Who (the dream lord episode) :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search