wow...

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree25Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
To answer the OP's question: I don't do testing because a) no risk factors (I am only 30) b) we did IVF and neither my husband or myself are carrier for any of the usual genetic diseases -- the ONLY potentials would be Downs, Edwards, Turners, Klief...(sp) or some other really rare not tested for issue.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 17th, 2013, 02:23 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't beat yourself up mama. I highly doubt you meant to be rude or to call the other mom out. But I know she must be feeling really raw at this point, and I wouldn't blame her for getting upset. Things will settle down.

I don't do genetic testing, either. But h3ll, I'm 20. My OB didn't even recommend it with my son. I pretty much didn't do anything unless it was a simple blood draw. I haven't even been to the OB yet this pregnancy due to waiting on insurance... Which is kind of driving me insane, but I'm just praying that baby is healthy and fine.

June 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM
strong mama <3
hey ladies... just a heads up for everyone who says they don't have any risk factors because they are young...... I am only 26 years old!! I did ask my doctor about this fact and he said although pregnancy at an older age does add more risk- its a misconception for women to think that it can't happen at any age..and that the average age of women who gets a diagnosis of chromosome abnormality is actually 28 years old
June 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB said almost the same thing. Bottom line - no one is bullet proof.

Thinking of you, mama. (((Hugs)))

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2boys View Post
hey ladies... just a heads up for everyone who says they don't have any risk factors because they are young...... I am only 26 years old!! I did ask my doctor about this fact and he said although pregnancy at an older age does add more risk- its a misconception for women to think that it can't happen at any age..and that the average age of women who gets a diagnosis of chromosome abnormality is actually 28 years old

June 18th, 2013, 05:40 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
High risk vs. low risk.

And in either aspect test results can be wrong. A gal from my first DDC, her first child was "confirmed" DS, extra fluid and test results. Now she has a perfectly healthy 6 year old who is not downs.
June 18th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Out of curiosity, which test confirmed this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseGal View Post
High risk vs. low risk.

And in either aspect test results can be wrong. A gal from my first DDC, her first child was "confirmed" DS, extra fluid and test results. Now she has a perfectly healthy 6 year old who is not downs.

June 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM
strong mama <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara74 View Post
Out of curiosity, which test confirmed this?

I second that... how crazy! Did she do invasive testing or just went off of sono?... doctor definitely did tell me that the sono is just their first impression of how it looks..nothing can be fool proof off that, ofcourse things change but the CVS testing is 99% accurate, its very very rare for the tested placenta to show an abnormality that isn't there.
June 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She mentioned bloodwork for the test. I didn't grill her story. I've known her 3 years.
June 18th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Well I don't expect you to grill her but if you're going to post that she had a confirmed case of Downs and increased fluid and then the child turned out to be normal and you've known her for all these years, I would think you would've known or remembered which test confirmed this. The more invasive tests are far more accurate than noninvasive blood tests so I wouldn't say a blood test is confirmation. If she had a CVS or Amnio and that was incorrect, now that is really worth mentioning. It would be horrifying if something invasive such as those two test turned out to be so wrong.

Personally, I would never make any drastic decisions off of a blood screening test and ultrasound alone. I don't think many people would. I would definitely need to go for more invasive and accurate testing to confirm the diagnosis.
SurferRosa and mama2boys like this.

June 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Probably the nt scan with bloodwork.
The thought of an amnio or cvs being wrong is scary I agree!
kara74 likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Yeah NT scan and first screen bloodwork is not confirmation, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRG2010 View Post
Probably the nt scan with bloodwork.
The thought of an amnio or cvs being wrong is scary I agree!

June 18th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree they have high false positives. But who knows! I have heard some crazy stories on jm.
kara74 likes this.
June 18th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Same here. I take every story I read with a grain of salt particularly if I don't know the person IRL.

June 19th, 2013, 05:30 AM
strong mama <3
thankfully along my hours and hours and hours (a lot lol) of research I found that the CVS and amino are 99.5% accurate on their own, combined with other tests also with the same outcome its pretty much fool proof since they test the actual placenta for the chromosomes. (my doctor showed me the placenta in the tube, kinda eww) ...doing the blood work lets you know how high your risk factors are, so some people will do that first- and it will tell you okay you have a 1/10 chance or a 1/50 chance its not saying you DO without a doubt have an abnormality. even a 1/10 chance sounds scary but that means 9 people who had the same exact blood work were fine...I definitely wouldn't call that a confirmation.
kara74 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search