interesting article i found today

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By bundle2baby
  • 2 Post By Oriyan
  • 2 Post By hugssandi
  • 2 Post By feythful
  • 5 Post By anybodyinthere
  • 2 Post By ChicaChels
  • 2 Post By feythful
  • 1 Post By Brittanie
  • 1 Post By Miss-Melissa-Sue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 18th, 2013, 12:28 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
this is NOT intended for debate, im just curious to see how others feel about this. i am completely pro breastfeeding, but this is a bit extreme IMO and doesnt take in to account a lot of factors that can affect a breastfeeding relationship (physical, mental, etc)

Ban the bottle, breast feeding is best say Venezuelan lawmakers

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Interesting read! Just my 2 cents on the topic (not at all directed at you! While I am very pro-breastfeeding, I strongly believe women should still have options. Every woman and her circumstances are different. She may not be physically able to BF or maybe it's causing such mental anguish that bottle is best for mom & baby. That is what's great about a free country, options. That being said, in my personal experiences with BF, I believe women that would like to try BF need waaaay more support. It doesn't always come "naturally" or easily for each mom/baby. I had a heck of a time both times!! I never had great luck with the "lactation consultants" provided at either hospital I delivered at (one being a top hospital specifically for women in my city), nor with my local LLL and I think it's sad that women viciously attack each other in the BF vs bottle "debate" instead of supporting one another during a time when it's needed most. I attribute being able to successfully BF my son so long to my super supportive DH and reading all I could on KellyMom.
ChicaChels likes this.

June 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I think that barring a medical reason they can't that everyone should at least try to BF. I certainly do not believe we should ban bottles and formula but perhaps if less readily available the BFing success rate would go up.

Paired of course with LCs who actually give a crap and education on the subject provided starting early in pregnancy.

The biggest "failure" I see is women who think their babies aren't getting enough. When in most cases they absolutely are.

I am definitely a BF advocate and even pusher.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 18th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
And what if they are like me and only have 1 working nipple? The only way I can get my child enough milk is by pumping. Or what if they have a child who has issues with moms milk?

Just leave moms alone and let them decide what is best for their child. Dont need the government telling us how to raise our kids!
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
kayakr's Avatar Persuaded by POAS’ers
I am pro breast feeding and I Bf my DS however, I am baffled how BF twins is even going to work. I don't know if I can handle bfing two! I can't imagine someone making me!
Cycle 7 SA results abnormal morphology 2%, 50 mg clomid = BFN
Cycle 8 sonogram normal 50 mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 9 SA results abnormal morphology and motility. Count 200 mill, 100mg clomid + trigger = BFN
Cycle 10 natural = BFN
Cycle 11 hsg tubes clear, natural + trigger+IUI = BFN
Cycle 12 repronex + trigger + 2 IUI = BFN
Cycle 13 natural ovaries to stimulated for more meds = BFN
Cycle 14-22 natural cycle with Acupuncture and planning ivf/icsi/DE = ALL BFN
Cycle 23 Clomid 50 mg & Progesterone = BFN
Cycle 24 Natural = BFN
Cycle 25 BCP, SA result 7% morphology = BFN
Cycle 26 BCP and Lupron preparing for IVF
Cycle 27 IVF Acupuncture, DE Retrieval April 7, Transfer April 12 =
7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 transferred - zero snow babies
BETA # 1 16DPO or 11dp5dt = 569
BETA # 2 19 DPO or 14dp5dt = 1078
BETA # 3 22DPO or 17dp5dt = 2414 TWINS!
BETA # 4 30DPO or 25dp5dt = 12,685 6weeks 3days 2 heartbeats! 114 & 116
Clayton and Colton Born @ 34 weeks 11/22/13
June 18th, 2013, 01:42 PM
^^ I have a friend who BF her twins for 18m. if you ever need someone to talk to, im certain she would chat with you!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 18th, 2013, 02:21 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A fb friend recently linked this article, and while I've exclusively breastfed each child to age three without ever a bottle, I HATE WHAT THEY'RE DOING! I'm never a fan of rights being taken away, and bottle feeding should not have to pass through government opinion at all. Obviously I believe breast is best, but bottle feeding does not pose a threat to the child.
ChicaChels and monkeymama2 like this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 18th, 2013, 02:46 PM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't really feel comfortable after reading that... I think it's because I wouldn't want the bottle banned, because I am honestly still not a 100% ok with ME breastfeeding in public. I don't really care if other women do it, but I've honestly been contemplating pumping for that reason.
I know I'm a ftm, and that my thoughts will probably change once I have the baby, and i'll probaby be too tired to care what others think.

I also have a very close friend who cannot breastfeed at all, she couldn't even get to breastfeed her baby the first time because of the medication she's on *she was actually really bummed about not getting to do it the first time*. The levels of the medication are too high in her sysstem that it's completely unsafe to breastfeed her baby.

While I myself am totally for breastfeeding, I don't fault women that can't or even women who struggle too much they can't.

Err, that last statement sounds harsh, I didn't mean to make it sound like other moms judge.. and i'm not trying cause a debate with my statement. I was just trying to say I have no problem if moms can't.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.

Last edited by lily26; June 18th, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
June 18th, 2013, 02:49 PM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm very pro-breast feeding but I do not agree with banning the bottle. Some women just can't do it for whatever reason. What about working moms who have to use bottles? What about women who have to supplement with formula for whatever reason? Yeah I'm totally against this.

June 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
The article did say that it provided exceptions for those who are unable to breastfeed, so that's not really even the problem.

What about women who choose to go back to work while still breastfeeding? What about the option to leave your child with a babysitter at 4 months old and go out for a date night? Not everyone has the ability to be at their baby's side 24/7 for a year. There are probably better ways to go about this.

I wish that the lactation consultant at our hospital actually cared about those she is supposed to be helping. I also wish the nurses weren't so quick to push the formula when I struggled. The formula was on the cart before I even arrived at my room and had the option to decline it. We were also sent home with a can even though they knew I had been successfully bfing with dd2.

I think that education would go a LONG way. Helping people realize that their bodies are amazing machines that anticipate what baby needs and work to supply it, would go a long way to easing the "I don't think my baby gets enough" fears.
ChicaChels and bundle2baby like this.

June 18th, 2013, 03:58 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am one who forgoes leaving for anywhere without my nursling until he/she is a good two years old. It can be done, but I do not believe my way is the only way.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 18th, 2013, 04:39 PM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That farthest I think it should go is for hospitals to not be allowed to send you home with formula for free and I also don't think that formula companies should be allowed to send samples (FTMs...you just wait! You'll get a LOT) in the mail without being ASKED by the mother.

Imagine this scenario: you're a BF mom. You are about 2 weeks into BFing. You have barely slept. Your nipples are hurting like a mofo. It's 2am and you're watching infomercials with a screaming baby when you remember that canister of formula in the kitchen that was given to you for free. You think, "just this once..." But then that nursing session is lost, it happens a few more times and before you know it, your supply is affected, you have more trouble and you say screw it and quit.

I've been there and I thankfully powered through. I remember that night like it was yesterday.

Now, I have to say that I work and have a very regimented schedule which means I can pump twice a day at predetermined times. My boobs like baby. And they like 2 hour increments or less, so by 8 months, the pumping was not producing enough to keep up with what DS needed while I was gone. Of course, I did continue to BF anytime I was home (or with him in public for that matter) but we did have to use some formula by that age. I BFd him for 13 months and he self weaned.

It's not bottles that are bad. It's the marketing and pushing of formula that undermines women's efforts to persevere at BFing. It tugs at heart strings, guilts moms into thinking their babies are still hungry and preys on their tired, sore bodies. At least that is MY opinion.

June 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM
im so very thankful my hospital does not give formula out, and yes it's the devil for a mom who wants to successfully breastfeed. (exclusively, many moms supplement and nurse!)

and i agree, this is nothing the government should stick their nose in...i do think its awesome they want to ban formula advertisements, but i dont think they have any place banning bottles...even the world health organization states that the 2nd best option for a baby is the mother's milk via a bottle, thirdly another mothers milk through a bottle.
bundle2baby and hugssandi like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 18th, 2013, 08:19 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
i dont think they have any place banning bottles...even the world health organization states that the 2nd best option for a baby is the mother's milk via a bottle, thirdly another mothers milk through a bottle.
I just realized something. They're talking about banning bottles, but the same bill is providing support for breast milk banks and distribution so that other mom's can benefit from another mom's good supply. How do they think that the moms that use that service will have to feed their kid the breastmilk they receive? Osmosis? Just proof that legislators are incapable of thinking something completely through.
ChicaChels and hugssandi like this.

June 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM
yes i noticed that too....unless they're planning on providing everyone with a SNS

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 18th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I switched to formula with Erin at 6 months, and with Allison at 7 months. With both, it was DEFINITELY the best decision for both of us, and one I did not come to lightly. However, I'm not sure my reasons would have passed whatever government panel deciding it's okay definition of being okay...if that makes sense.

I do think that bf'ing moms need more support, and I think I probably would have nursed Erin, at least, longer if I'd had better education, and LCs and pediatric nurses would have cared enough to spend more than 2 minutes with us when I was asking questions. But with my circumstances at the time, with what I knew...definitely switching to formula was the best choice.

Maybe the money/effort that would be spent enforcing such a ban should go toward better education/support programs.
ChicaChels likes this.

June 19th, 2013, 05:23 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
In NYC, they actually will not provide mom with formula anymore unless mom specifically asks for it. When I had my son, they were providing us with formula left and right. We took it home with us, and we were glad we did! Because when he was still screaming in pain at 6 weeks old and we switched him in the middle of the night -- I had a happy content baby.

How do you prove mom can't BF though? Like what are they going to do? Watch me pump 6oz from 1 boob compared to the 1/2-1oz from my non-working one????
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 19th, 2013, 07:04 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am very pro-breastfeeding but no way should anyone else make that decision for a mother--especially the government! I have a very close friend who could not breastfeed. I was there, and watched everything she went through to try. She had taken Bradley Method courses and the doula who taught her villified formula feeding. As a result, she suffered pretty bad depression for a few months. She had some issue with her breast tissue, she isn't exactly sure why she just didn't produce.
Anyway, her daugher is very healthy and she got past the depression. She is pregnant again and plans to try again but will be easier on herself if it doesn't work.

I have another close friend who simply did not want to breastfeed, didn't like the idea. (No women in her family do). I mean, personally I find nursing way more convenient than having to have formula/water/bottle with me at all times--but I would never try to tell her what to do. We need to be able to make that choice for ourselves.
June 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm pro breast feeding also. With DD I planned on nursing/pumping until the day she was born. Her dad expressed his concern (purely sexual) with how he didn't agree with it. It killed me that I didn't have his support. I also knew with my job it would have been close to impossible to be able to pump. She had formula. This is a decision I have regretted for 4 1/2 years. I feel we missed out on an incredible experience together. This time I will be breast feeding and it's nice to have a partner who is 100% supportive! Honestly I didn't give him a say in the matter. I told him that's how our baby would be fed. If I can't nurse for some reason then I'll pump.
ChicaChels likes this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search