Baby Items question!

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By swade66
  • 1 Post By Miss-Melissa-Sue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 19th, 2013, 09:29 AM
mommy-of-one's Avatar Veteran
How do you know when to get new baby items?

My DD will be almost 7 when this LO arrives, and I have saved all of her things, car seat, crib, high chair, strollers, pack and play, bouncer, swing, bassinet, jumper, tummy mat, changing table... You name it, I more than likely have it stored in my MILs basement lol...
Do I need to discard any of these items and get new ones? They all still look to be in great condition, will be washing all cloth and wiping plastic with cleaning wipes, but, how do I know what is safe and what is not?
They used to pass a crib down for 25 years, I had my moms crib when I was born... Now with all the new laws and rules and stuff, I just want to know what I am supposed to do or where I am supposed to find out!!
Thanks!

Thank you to Peimum for my AMAZING siggy!

June 19th, 2013, 09:40 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I think you should be fine except the car seat. Those expire.

You should also check the other big items for recalls. Otherwise you're good.
kara74 likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 19th, 2013, 09:52 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed.

The crib should be fine if it was just your daughter's. If it's one that is older than that, I would replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swade66 View Post
I think you should be fine except the car seat. Those expire.

You should also check the other big items for recalls. Otherwise you're good.

June 19th, 2013, 09:53 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree~*I think* car seats are to be replaced every seven years.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 19th, 2013, 10:52 AM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto on carseats. They expire. A crib I would use if there was no recall and it worked ok. Actually the one I had for my first daughter 6 years ago had a recall that just required extra hardware. My parents have it at their house now for my youngest. I think the tricky part with old stuff is if it comes from someone else. if it's yours, it's probably ok because you know what happened with it.
June 19th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think all (or most?) of cribs that had the drop side function were recalled and now aren't being made anymore. If it is a fixed side crib, it should be fine.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
June 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
definitely get a new carseat. they're only good for 5 years after the manufacture date (ish) and if you feel safe using everything else, that should be fine if the crib was a drop side, you might want to get a new one. the bouncy chairs, etc you will probably just want to make sure the seat is in good condition!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 19th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other girls. New car seat and check the crib Also I know sometime throughout the year Babies R Us gives you money off a new car seat if you give them your expired one. I think it's only around $25 but every little bit helps!
feythful likes this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 19th, 2013, 06:14 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Here's the government site for recalls. You can search for specific companies and products, or try to narrow it down by the categories on the right.
CPSC Search

June 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
The car seat should have an expiration date imprinted in the plastic on the back/bottom of it somewhere, but they usually only last 5 years. Something about the foam degrading or some such.

I still have the bassinet I used for my older kids, but I think that's it. I actually need to check the car seat I have Allison in right now...thanks for making me think of that!

June 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What everyone else said about car seat. Also I thought crib companies would send you some hardware to make the crib non drop side? Might be worth calling if yours is the drop side. Everything else I would just give it a look over to make sure it is still in good shape and give it a go

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search