Anyone have indoor pets?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By HorseGal
  • 2 Post By ChicaChels

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 07:10 AM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
We have two dogs, a dachsund/jack russell mix and a shih tzu that is almost 7 months old. Ziggy (the dachsund) usually listens pretty well, he's house-trained and doesnt normally have accidents or behavior problems, except that he thinks he's a doberman whenever a stranger gets too close to the house.
Zoey...well, she's another story. No one has really been actively training this dog, so she feels free to poop, pee, puke and raise holy terror wherever she wants. Now,she's cute, but she is stubborn and spoiled rotten. Before I moved in with DF this didn't bother me as much but now that I've stepped in it barefoot a couple of times and spend a good amount of time cleaning up after her...I'm DONE! This dog is getting trained NOW. Not just for my sanity and the sake of the carpet but I will not have a dog that feels free to roam and pee wherever she wants when we're going to have a small baby in the house soon.
I love DF's mom to death but she and DF have been really lax about training her. And one thing that bugs me is she buys a new kind of dog food every freaking time they run out because "this one was on sale"....then the dogs eat grass, crap in the house, puke in the house etc because they're not used to the new food. And I'm over here like it's just making it worse!
I decided that next paycheck, the dog is getting a crate and we're going to leash train, I dont care if "you don't fool with it because the other dog never 'took' to it"...that's why you have to train them!

Ok my rant is over.....question any of you all that have indoor pets, how do you deal with them and your kids or while you're expecting? How did you successfully train your pets?

June 22nd, 2013, 07:27 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
None here. They don't clean up after themselves!

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 22nd, 2013, 07:40 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
We have a fish.

When Elizabeth was born we had a cat but he died and I just don't have any interest in litter box duty.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 22nd, 2013, 07:44 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had indoor pets when i had my son... They all got kicked out. I got tired of cleaning up the hair. I'm a bit OCD about my babies/crawlers being on the floor and it not being perfectly clean. I cannot stand finding hairs in a babies diaper either. I live on a farm, the animals like it better outside anyways. And so do I!!!
summerbaby1 likes this.
June 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
This is what I'm worried about..currently MIL lives with us. The dogs are techinically hers..she would never get rid of them. DF wants MIL to live with us because he is her only family for about 1000 miles away. I'm ok with that, not so much the thought of having puppies in my child's face, dog hair and pee and junk everywhere ....something is going to have to give before too long and I'm just worried that it's gonna end in a big fight or a giant rift.

June 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have 2 dogs and a cat. A German shepherd, a border collie/lab mix and a domesticate short hair. I had the dogs Potty trained in about 2 days. I attach their leash to me, so they can't sneak off and poop while I'm doing something (helps with leash manners, too) and when I can watch them I let them go. If they potty inside they get a squirt of white vinegar & tobasco sauce mixture in their mouth, potty outside get a chunk of hotdog.

And as a former vet tech, switching foods all the time is pretty bad for their gut and their allergies. Our border collie was rescued from a puppy mill and she was fed anything and everything not healthy, so she has to be on prescription allergy meds, a probiotic, a tummy med and anxiety meds, and she has to eat food that is roughly $100/mo (her meds are about $80/mo, plus she gets chiro and acupuncture to help her problems which is about $60-$100/mo) so I can tell you that while it may seem financially sound to buy the food that's on sale, the best thing you can do is buy a huge bag of quality food (I recommend blue buffalo) because it'll last the little dog forever and the bigger bulk you buy, the cheaper the food is
Tarheelbluii and summerbaby1 like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 22nd, 2013, 08:35 AM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have 4, yes 4, cats and a dog. They drive me crazy but I love them. All of them are super tolerant with my 2 y/o who terrorizes them as often as possible. If/when they die, I will not be getting anymore pets. Since having kids they drive me bonkers. And the hair--ugh!!! I hate it.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 22nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
Veteran
We have one beautiful and sweet shepherd husky mix named Gretchen. She is 6 years old. I adopted her when she was 1 year old and dh adores her. She has been our "Dogter". She definitely knows something is up, she follows me everywhere. When I come home from work, she gets a toy in her mouth and puts the top of her head against my belly and just stands there for a minute or two.
TTC #1 since 7/2011

Make a pregnancy ticker

IVF
Retreival 3/15
15 eggs
13 fertilized w/icsi
Transferred one blast 3/20
9 frosties
Beta # 1 8dp5dt 3/28-132!!!!
Beta #2 12dp5dt 4/1-868!!!
Spotting 4/12
Beta #3 23dp5dt 4/12-47,000
U/S-4/23 measured 7 wks 6 days; 162 HB!

June 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have one indoor pet, a Persian cat. He gets a lion cut every 6 mos. so we don't have cat hair issues. He hates being brushed so it's much easier for all of us to have him groomed twice a year. He's a pretty well behaved, lazy cat.

June 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a dog and she is old. She has her own room in te back of the garage (kennel sized, with A/C...she's got it good! And that room has a doggy door for going potty outside.

She also has the study during the day because she gets lonely :/ After DS was born, we tiled the study because we didn't want a dog on carpet in there.

She is not given free range of the house and we of course never let her around Cody without direct supervision of myself or my husband.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search