Schooling

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By hugssandi
  • 1 Post By anybodyinthere
  • 1 Post By JulieMc
  • 2 Post By ImVictorious
  • 2 Post By hugssandi
  • 1 Post By tanamom of 2
  • 2 Post By ChicaChels
  • 1 Post By feythful

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
How are the schools in your area?

BTDT moms: Do your kids attend public, private or home schools?

FTM: Have you thought about what kind of school you want to send your kid(s) to or do you plan to homeschool?

June 22nd, 2013, 09:34 AM
HorseGal's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How are the schools in your area? I live in a tiny town, it doesn't have a lot of options but is really advanced with computers and laptops. It has a lot of the problems with small town gossip and the kids try to make up for being "small town" by having lots of sex and doing drugs and bullying. I personally liked it better when i went to bigger more diverse schools. So I hope to be out of this town before Wyatt starts school, or better yet i'd like to be in the position to homeschool.

BTDT moms: Do your kids attend public, private or home schools? He's only two, so no schools yet. Just flash cards and work with mama.
June 22nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Kelizah's Avatar Veteran
How are the schools in your area? both the public schools are good as well as private.
FTM: Have you thought about what kind of school you want to send your kid(s) to or do you plan to homeschool? I would love to send my kids to private school, I was in catholic school from 4th grade through high school and my husband went to a catholic high school. While we are not very religious, I loved it lol but unfornately my high school is currently at about $14,000 a year.. so I'm not sure we'll be able to send our kids when the time comes :/
June 22nd, 2013, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My older kids go to public school. We live in a pretty good school district. My two year old goes to private nursery school. He loves it! We are planning to move to Florida soon they will go to public school there too
June 22nd, 2013, 10:35 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We live in a pretty good school district. My older kids go to public school. I'm satisfied with the public schools in my area.

June 22nd, 2013, 10:58 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have lived in the inner city for twenty years. The schools have gone through various stages of bad, but they are getting better as the neighborhood goes historic. Plus there have been quite a few ministries pouring into the area in recent years.

My oldest is fifteen, and we have always homeschooled. It's just who we are! I still love that there's no ONE right way to do ANYTHIHG though.
ChicaChels likes this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
I was homeschooled...I loathe the public schools in the area we currently live...one elementary school is right smack in the middle of a bad part of town. Then there's the high school, which is one of two high schools that recieves a lot more funding than the others..only problem is the kids that go there for the most part have major spoiled brat attitude problems.
If DF and I can swing it I'd say he/she will probably go to a private school or we'll try homeschooling and see how that goes.

June 22nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The school district we are in is excellent! I also happen I teach in this district and though it is not at the school we are zoned to, it is still only 5 minutes away and demographically/academically the same as our "home" school. We are allowed to bring our kids with us when they are school aged so he will go to my school for 6 years. I will also be his music teacher for 6 years! I like this because I know every single student since I teach all of them. And I'll get o choose his teachers.
summerbaby1 likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
The schools in my town are okay. The elementary and middle schools seem to be alright, but the high school is horrendous. The high school here sounds similar to the one in HorseGal's town: small town, nothing to do except have sex and do drugs. I would like to stay in the area because it is so close to work and family, and homes in surrounding towns are crazy expensive. We live on a busy one way street in the middle of town, so we will definitely need to move by the time the kids are 3 or so. I would love for them to go to private school, but it is so expensive. I can't even imagine how much college will be in 18 years!
June 22nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
The schools in our area are good. I would rather send them to a private school, but I don't know if we'll be able to afford it. Elementary through middle school is on average $4,000 per kid per year at the local Catholic schools, with the high schools being significantly more. So, we'll see.

My son went to a private preschool this past school year. We've just moved, so he won't be going to the same school anymore this next year. If I can get him into the public school program still, we are going to do that because we qualify for a reduced rate. Otherwise...I'm not really sure. My daughter's birthday is in November, so she misses all the deadlines and won't start preschool til next year, when she's 3 going on 4.

Fortunately, we don't have to worry about college. My husband works at a very good college in the area, and they will cover tuition for any and all of our kids when it is time. If he dies while working there, they will still pay for it when they are old enough, and if he retires with more than 10 years of service, they'll still get it. It's an over $50,000/year school. There's about 10 colleges they can choose to go to for "free", and for anything else, they'll pay 50% of the tuition at the college...so for example, 50% of the $50,000 tuition, which would be $25,000. It's a pretty sweet deal.
feythful likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for posing the question to FTM's also, we tend to be ignored on the board.

I would love to do private school if the tuitions wasnt too expensive. Some of the curriculum being forced on kids to these days are really unnecessary. Homeschooling would be cool but, I work and so does my SO. Honestly can't do it.
feythful and summerbaby1 like this.

June 22nd, 2013, 01:47 PM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can I also just mention that I'm not a fan of Common Core? It wasn't a concern when we made the decision on how to school, but it would influence my decision today.
ChicaChels and bundle2baby like this.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 22nd, 2013, 02:53 PM
Super Mommy
the schools in our area are not good.......so we homeschool
summerbaby1 likes this.
An Angel (Miscarried July 17, 2006)
Trinity(6)
Tatum(4)
Baby BOY!!!!(due Dec. 21, 2013)

June 22nd, 2013, 04:31 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
The school district here is really good but the school we are zoned for not so much. I put my kids in a daycare that is only 3 blocks from my second choice school so that I can transfer them there (hopefully Nate gets approved because then the others will be easy to get approved.) The middle and high schools are really good too and highly focused on advanced academics and most students start taking college classes during Junior year through running start and graduate with their AA. My little brothers graduating class this year had 13 Valedictorians and many kids going to ivy league schools.

I would love to homeschool but I think for our family (or at least my 5 year old) public school is the place that he belongs. As Atti and Spot (and any other children I might someday have) get to be school age we will see what they need.

June 22nd, 2013, 04:54 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i grew up in a large city and went to public school and generally liked it - i loved high school, had an awesome high school experience, etc...my husband grew up in the small area we live in and he hated school....im leaning toward home schooling, with possible dual enrollment so they can still participate in sports, etc. because there aren't any home school sports teams out here, or any private teams really..not any good teams. we commute to omaha now (about 60 minutes) for Brylie's dance, and she did cheer last year, but she wants to compete in dance so we dropped cheer. And we will take Hunter (& maverick! when it's time) down for football & baseball. maybe some day gas prices will go down?!

i have a different perspective on school as a parent now, and i think that school days are way too long...and they are very conducive to parents who work out of the home (my mom was a single mom with 2 jobs so i get it) but i cannot see either of my kids thriving in that kind of environment. i currently work with them at home. im trying to teach Brylie to read, but she just isn't all that interested at this point (she's 3)..

she is going to 2 day a week private preschool this fall, per her request, to meet other kids. it's hard out here - very secluded, and if you're not from here, the women aren't especially friendly. i am part of a home school group in omaha and a huge majority of my friends home school. i will probably hire a private teacher to come in 2x a week and spend a few hours with them..it'll be cheaper than paying $8,000/yr/kid for private school.

I hate NO interest in sending them to public school, especially with the condition of the US government.
bundle2baby and summerbaby1 like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 22nd, 2013, 05:50 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
As a former public school teacher, I've gotten a lot of flack for telling people that I want to home school, because apparently I'm supposed to have unwavering faith in the system since I worked in it. I didn't quit because of the job or the school. I just felt pulled to stay home with the girls.

The schools here are pretty good and I'm sure my kids would be fine in them, but when they cut back funding a couple of years ago, my friend's kindergarten class had 26 kids enrolled in it, with just the teacher and one aid that went between two classes. I think they finally got it down to 24 kids, but that's just crazy in my opinion. I can't imagine how much any kid could be learning with 23 other 5 year olds in there. I went from having 26 high school students in each class to 34 my last year. It was really hard to have time to get with all the kids as needed.

So, we will home school at least through 2nd or 3rd grade and then we'll re-evaluate. I'd like to send them to Catholic school, but financially it wouldn't be possible for all 3 and I won't do it for one and not the others. Right now we do tot school which is just an hour or two of constructive play and music. We have a great time and in the next year, I'll be moving Em to a more structured Montessori-style program as she seems ready for it.
summerbaby1 likes this.

June 22nd, 2013, 09:30 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know how you ladies homeschool! I would be a terrible teacher. The worst. Anyway, the public schools are just ok. We have our kids going to a montessori preschool and in the fall my daughter starts first grade at the catholic school. It's not cheap--but cheaper than montessori! And bigger discounts for subsequent kids. My husband went to catholic his whole life until college, I went to high school. We had good experiences. We aren't hard core catholic but its a nice community.
June 22nd, 2013, 10:09 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i WISH we had a montessori school in our community - the closest is 45 minutes away and its not even true montessori, it just follows the montessori model.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 23rd, 2013, 07:16 AM
lily26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The schools are alright, but of course like everywhere the number of students in any classroom is over crowded...

So since can't afford private school...public school.

Mommy to my little Butterfly Vanyah, born at 34 weeks and 2 days.
2lbs and 14oz on November 19th, 2013 at 2:31am.
Have never been so in love before.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search