Birth Plan?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by kara74 View Post
I'm reading these birth plans and wondering, has anyone had the experience of nurses just wanting to take the baby from you after birth? Is sending baby to the nursery normal? Do nurses actually give babies formula and/or pacis without asking? I've given birth in 3 different hospitals. Not once did anyone even offer to take my babies to the nursery. Not once did they bring me formula or give it to my baby after knowing I was breast feeding. And not once did anyone give my baby a paci. They had pacis in a drawer only at one of the hospitals. The rest you had to bring your own paci.
I gave Erin to the nurse to give a bath, with the assumption she'd bring her right back. I dozed off, but never deeply and nobody came to the door. I thought to myself it'd been a while, and looked at the clock and it'd been TWO HOURS.

I paged the nurse from my bed, and they didn't immediately know where my baby was. I was furious.

The nurse, thinking she was being nice, took her to the nursery so I could "get some rest." (as if I'd actually be able to sleep without my baby right there, being that my last one had DIED and all) She had been asleep the whole time. They would have brought her to me when she woke up, since they all knew we were nursing. But still.

I went with the nurse who bathed Patrick, wheelchair and all. I wasn't letting him leave me. And Allison, since I proved I could stand without collapsing, I got to bathe right there in my room (with the nurse hovering over me).

June 25th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm definitely going to prepare a birth plan this time, even though I will likely need a section. My last baby I had a VBAC gone wrong with 4th degree damage. Long story short, I truly believe at least some damage could have been prevented had I provided a birth plan stating my wishes and had a doula advocating for me. This time I am really worried about being separated from my baby. Although that wasn't an issue (same hospital) last time, I'm not yet sure of their procedure after a section.

I want to add a big "thank you" to you ladies who posted your birth plans. Definitely helpful and informative!

Last edited by bundle2baby; June 25th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.
June 25th, 2013, 09:16 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy-of-one View Post
My Plan is to go in for my scheduled Csection and pray everything turns out nice and healthy

Quote:
I'm reading these birth plans and wondering, has anyone had the experience of nurses just wanting to take the baby from you after birth? Is sending baby to the nursery normal? Do nurses actually give babies formula and/or pacis without asking? I've given birth in 3 different hospitals. Not once did anyone even offer to take my babies to the nursery. Not once did they bring me formula or give it to my baby after knowing I was breast feeding. And not once did anyone give my baby a paci. They had pacis in a drawer only at one of the hospitals. The rest you had to bring your own paci.
You must have given birth in mommy-baby-relationship friendly hospitals. It is standard procedure in ours for baby to be taken fairly immediately to the nursery to have some tests run and the vitamin k and eye stuff done. I've had c-sections for both of my births, so I have no idea if you can override those procedures if you have a vaginal birth.

My hospital also comes to take the baby at intervals down to the nursery for the hearing test and also to weigh them each day. They also have a rule that while I am on pain medication (the first 12 hours), I cannot have the baby with me if there isn't another adult in the room so people come to my room in rotations when my husband needs to leave to take care of the dogs, or he schedules it during the times they're doing testing.

My hospital doesn't push pacifiers, but they do push formula at the least bit of struggle in breastfeeding. I haven't seen the lactation consultant in the 6 days total I've spent in the postpartum ward in the last 3 years, even despite requests to see her. I think you're really lucky to have been in hospitals that value the bond between mom and baby.

June 25th, 2013, 09:37 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The hospital that I will be birthing at just started the skin-to-skin after a C-section very very recently. I actually just found a newspaper article that was posted yesterday about the first baby to receive this type of care at that particular hospital. I printed the article and will discuss it with my DR. My biggest concern is having to remove my contacts and/or glasses for the actual delivery. I remember that with my daughter and I couldn't see anything at all. When I finally got to see her they had to bring her very close to my face because I have absolutely terrible vision. I don't want to have to go through that again. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a section while still being able to wear contacts or glasses? I don't want to ask for something that is not safe.
bundle2baby likes this.

June 25th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
the bolded part...that's why we have DOULAS! That way momma doesnt have to do anything but labor on, with dad's help (or whomever is there with momma) and doulas get to do all the dirty work
Which is why i am SO GLAD my hospital provides them for free!
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 25th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Blakesgirl, I'm not sure about this, but I will add it to my question list. I think with my first I had my contacts in during the section, however, it was an emergency.

June 25th, 2013, 10:13 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh wow. Yeah the hospitals I've delivered at do just about everything in the room even immunizations. The only thing they take the baby for are hearing tests and circumcisions and of course, if baby needs to be in the NICU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post

You must have given birth in mommy-baby-relationship friendly hospitals. It is standard procedure in ours for baby to be taken fairly immediately to the nursery to have some tests run and the vitamin k and eye stuff done. I've had c-sections for both of my births, so I have no idea if you can override those procedures if you have a vaginal birth.

My hospital also comes to take the baby at intervals down to the nursery for the hearing test and also to weigh them each day. They also have a rule that while I am on pain medication (the first 12 hours), I cannot have the baby with me if there isn't another adult in the room so people come to my room in rotations when my husband needs to leave to take care of the dogs, or he schedules it during the times they're doing testing.

My hospital doesn't push pacifiers, but they do push formula at the least bit of struggle in breastfeeding. I haven't seen the lactation consultant in the 6 days total I've spent in the postpartum ward in the last 3 years, even despite requests to see her. I think you're really lucky to have been in hospitals that value the bond between mom and baby.

June 25th, 2013, 10:24 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
Oh yes it happens. It happened to me. I asked if they could watch my first child in the nursery for an hour or two so i could get in a nap (I'd been up over 24 hours and had him at 2am and was expecting tons of visitors during visiting hours). I told them to bring him back if he needed to eat, because I was breastfeeding. They kept him for nearly 7 hours and I was freaking out, begging and crying for them to give me back my baby. Then I learned they gave him him a paci and formula. I never let them out of the room with me now, unless its for a hearing test and they're coming right back. Otherwise, baby doesn't leave me. This hospital also gave me a bag with formula and formula company stuff. Before the captive baby incident, he was nursing just fine...after that, he had latch problems.

Anyways....as for a birth plan, first I need to know who my provider is going to be. That will dictate a lot of it. I'm sure many of my desires will also not be honored this time because of it being twins. I'm not sure yet. If my midwife is allowed to oversee me, then she always has you fill out a birth plan questionnaire, reviews it, and makes sure copies of it are there when you give birth. I'm a go with the flow type... all I want is baby immediately after birth, wipe em and wash in the room, etc. Then leave us both alone as much as possible. No circing for boys. No formula or pacis,

June 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would've been furious! I don't think I'd have another baby in that hospital again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMc View Post
Oh yes it happens. It happened to me. I asked if they could watch my first child in the nursery for an hour or two so i could get in a nap (I'd been up over 24 hours and had him at 2am and was expecting tons of visitors during visiting hours). I told them to bring him back if he needed to eat, because I was breastfeeding. They kept him for nearly 7 hours and I was freaking out, begging and crying for them to give me back my baby. Then I learned they gave him him a paci and formula. I never let them out of the room with me now, unless its for a hearing test and they're coming right back. Otherwise, baby doesn't leave me. This hospital also gave me a bag with formula and formula company stuff. Before the captive baby incident, he was nursing just fine...after that, he had latch problems.

Anyways....as for a birth plan, first I need to know who my provider is going to be. That will dictate a lot of it. I'm sure many of my desires will also not be honored this time because of it being twins. I'm not sure yet. If my midwife is allowed to oversee me, then she always has you fill out a birth plan questionnaire, reviews it, and makes sure copies of it are there when you give birth. I'm a go with the flow type... all I want is baby immediately after birth, wipe em and wash in the room, etc. Then leave us both alone as much as possible. No circing for boys. No formula or pacis,

June 25th, 2013, 10:43 AM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Quote:
I would've been furious! I don't think I'd have another baby in that hospital again.
Yep. I had my second elsewhere, at a much more natural, mother-baby friendly hospital.
bundle2baby, bajars2531 and kara74 like this.

June 25th, 2013, 10:56 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
After my sons birth they took him (an hour or so after birth) to do their checks and give a bath.

They gave sugar water since I was GD for his sugar test. Without asking.

Then when he didn't latch and nurse right away they said they *had* to give him a bottle. And I think he came back to mw with a binkie.

They did bring him to me every two hours to try and nurse during the night.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 25th, 2013, 11:20 AM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
I find birth plans useless in most hospital settings. You go in with all these things you don't want and do want, and you will spend most of the time arguing with the nurses or getting upset when things don't go your way. When you give birth, things change on a moments notice. It's nice to have an idea of what you want, but you really need to be flexible.
I definitely disagree with this!! And I am sorry you had negative experiences. This was not my experience AT ALL. I never once argued with anyone over anything that I wanted. My husband or doula never have to intervene on my behalf. I think what is so important to give birth in a place that goes along with the experience you are looking for, whether that is hospital, home, or birth center. I was terrified to give birth in a hospital and almost decided to do a home birth last minute--but I loved my midwife and she reassured me. I have no hesitations about giving birth in a hospital again. Maybe it's different in CO, but my sister had 3 kids in 3 different hospitals-all with the same midwife, and was also never coerced or forced to do anything she wasn't comfortable with.

Of course things change at a moment's notice but being flexible doesn't mean that you need to give up your right to birth how you want. Everyone's goal is to get baby out safely and have a healthy delivery for both mom and baby. Not getting too attached to any particular part of birth plan is a good idea, because things change--like I see so many things about aromatherapy, music--let me tell you, I could have given a crap about any of that! It sounds nice, but realistically when you are in the throes of labor, you are not going to care if someone forgot the lavender oil.

I wanted to labor at home and avoid as much hospital time as I could. I ended having to be inducted and had to be at the hospital from start to finish, but all of my wishes and experience as a whole were treated with respect and everyone went out of their way to ensure that I was getting what I needed at the right times. I think a birth plan can be a very useful tool, it is important to make your wishes known. I also took "Birthing from Within" classes and that really helped to teach me and dh how to be flexible when we needed to, be aware of all our options, and to stand our ground if we needed to. I highly recommend it if you are thinking of taking a birthing class.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicaChels View Post
Did you have a natural birth with your baby?

I had a medicated induction (cytotec) but that was it. It was ROUGH. Induction contractions are no joke!! I could barely stay on top of them, I went super fast. I only labored for about 5 hours.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 25th, 2013, 11:31 AM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundle2baby View Post
Blakesgirl, I'm not sure about this, but I will add it to my question list. I think with my first I had my contacts in during the section, however, it was an emergency.
My first was also an emergency and they still made me take them out. My epidural had already been placed and everything, they brought me a case and that was that. I really hope to avoid that this time. I'd be much less anxious if I could see what was going on. Even if they do have that stupid sheet in front of me!
bundle2baby likes this.

June 25th, 2013, 11:57 AM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think this would be a great project for me especially because at this point in time I have no clue what I want. My previous two births were induced and I really want to experience a natural birth, but I also have no patience and I'm scared of going past 38 weeks pregnant.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

June 25th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Blakesgirl, OMG, I guess I really need to be sure of this b/c it wasn't an issue at the hospital I had my section. I would be practically blind without my contacts! How scary! I see now the absolute importance of finding out a hospital's policies & procedures ahead of time, as well as having a birth plan.

June 25th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajars2531 View Post
I definitely disagree with this!! And I am sorry you had negative experiences. This was not my experience AT ALL. I never once argued with anyone over anything that I wanted. My husband or doula never have to intervene on my behalf. I think what is so important to give birth in a place that goes along with the experience you are looking for, whether that is hospital, home, or birth center. I was terrified to give birth in a hospital and almost decided to do a home birth last minute--but I loved my midwife and she reassured me. I have no hesitations about giving birth in a hospital again. Maybe it's different in CO, but my sister had 3 kids in 3 different hospitals-all with the same midwife, and was also never coerced or forced to do anything she wasn't comfortable with.

Of course things change at a moment's notice but being flexible doesn't mean that you need to give up your right to birth how you want. Everyone's goal is to get baby out safely and have a healthy delivery for both mom and baby. Not getting too attached to any particular part of birth plan is a good idea, because things change--like I see so many things about aromatherapy, music--let me tell you, I could have given a crap about any of that! It sounds nice, but realistically when you are in the throes of labor, you are not going to care if someone forgot the lavender oil.

I wanted to labor at home and avoid as much hospital time as I could. I ended having to be inducted and had to be at the hospital from start to finish, but all of my wishes and experience as a whole were treated with respect and everyone went out of their way to ensure that I was getting what I needed at the right times. I think a birth plan can be a very useful tool, it is important to make your wishes known. I also took "Birthing from Within" classes and that really helped to teach me and dh how to be flexible when we needed to, be aware of all our options, and to stand our ground if we needed to. I highly recommend it if you are thinking of taking a birthing class.

That's why the word MOST is in there. I didn't say ALL. I loved my hospital but a lot of people go into hospitals with their heart dead set on something and then something happens and they get upset because their birth plan wasn't followed.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 25th, 2013, 03:38 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post

this makes me really sad im not there to help, but as an LC i would be happy to answer ANY questions you have - i get a lot of picture messages from mommas re: latch, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
Which is why i am SO GLAD my hospital provides them for free!
i love that i would doula for anyone anytime for free. i think everyone deserves a doula
bundle2baby likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 25th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajars2531 View Post
Maybe it's different in CO, but my sister had 3 kids in 3 different hospitals-all with the same midwife, and was also never coerced or forced to do anything she wasn't comfortable with.
It is different in Colorado, actually. It's a fairly crunchy/natural place. I loved the hospital policies here, and I'm a little nervous about moving. The hospital I delivered in in Idaho, while claiming to be supportive of the mother/baby bond, wasn't in actually as much as they thought.

Although...with Patrick (delivered here in the Denver area), they did try to push formula on me a bit. He refused to nurse for his first four hours of life. But they offered to check his blood sugar levels first, and since they weren't low, left me alone. And then got the LC (who came in at 4am!) to try to help me wake up and get him latched (and then he never let go practically! lol).

But yeah, Colorado is different.

Last edited by Brittanie; June 25th, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
June 26th, 2013, 06:41 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesgirl09 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to have a section while still being able to wear contacts or glasses? I don't want to ask for something that is not safe.
I've worn my glasses for both c-sections. I only know because I have pictures of both girls near my head with my glasses on. You might ask if it's a sanitation issue. In which case, couldn't they just clean your glasses with some alcohol before you go in? I can't imagine why they made you take out your contacts. I can't imagine that would be a sanitation issue at all since they're in your eyes. I wonder what the reasoning was for that?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search