Birth Plan?

Forum: December 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To December 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 24th, 2013, 09:05 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are you writing one? Do you have one that you've used previously? Have you talked to your provider about one? Or do you just not care to do that and are a go with the flow type momma?

I love reading birth plans - it's my favorite part of teaching child birth ed classes share one if have it!

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth
June 24th, 2013, 09:52 PM
bajars2531's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is mine from when I had ds. I think I will probably just reuse it with a few minor modifications.
The midwives were happy to accommodate all my requests and I did not have to ask twice or insist on anything. And every single nurse who walked into my room took the time to read it and honor our wishes. It was awesome and very validating. I felt really lucky to give birth in a place who recognizes it as our experience and not theirs.

Labor

I would like to be free to walk around during labor.
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the stages of labor.
I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
I do not want an IV unless I become dehydrated.
I would like to wear contact lenses or glasses at all times when conscious.

Monitoring

I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of Baby Selle.
I do not want an internal monitor unless Baby Selle has shown some sign of distress.

Labor Augmentation/Induction

I do not wish to have the amniotic membrane ruptured artificially unless signs of fetal distress require internal monitoring.
If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
Other Labor Augmentation/Induction Preference: I would prefer non medicated induction

Anesthesia/Pain Medication

I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.

Cesarean

Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
If my primary care provider determines that a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to obtain a second opinion from another physician if time allows.
If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
I would like Anthony present at all times if Baby Selle requires a Cesarean delivery.
So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of Baby Selle.
If Baby Selle is not in distress, Baby Selle should be given to Anthony immediately after birth.

Episiotomy

I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for Baby Selle's safety.
I am hoping to protect the perineum. I am practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises and perineal massage.
I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.
I would like a local anesthetic to repair a tear or an episiotomy.

Delivery

I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
I would like Anthony and/or nurses to support me and as necessary during the pushing stage.
I would like to try to deliver in a hands-and-knees position.
I would like to try to deliver in a squatting position, using Anthony or a squatting bar for support.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming Baby Selle is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
I would appreciate having the room as quiet as possible when Baby Selle is born.
I would like to have Baby Selle placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

Immediately After Delivery
I would to delay cord cutting until it stops pulsing completely.
I would like to have Anthony cut the cord.
I would like to hold Baby Selle while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
I would like to hold Baby Selle for at least 15 minutes before (he/she) is photographed, examined, etc.
I would like to have Baby Selle evaluated and bathed in my presence.
I plan to keep Baby Selle near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of Baby Selle can be done with Baby Selle on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
If Baby Selle must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, Anthony or some other person I designate will accompany Baby Selle at all times.
I would prefer to hold Baby Selle rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
I do not want a routine injection of Pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
I would like to refuse the eye medication for Baby Selle after birth.
After the birth, I would prefer to be given a few moments of privacy to urinate on my own before being catheterized.

Postpartum

I would like a private room.
Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
I would like to have Baby Selle "room in" and be with me at all times.

Breastfeeding

I plan to breastfeed Baby Selle and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to Baby Selle (including glucose water or plain water).
I do not want Baby Selle to be given a pacifier.
I would like to meet with a lactation consultant.

Make a pregnancy ticker

June 24th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Did you have a natural birth with your baby?

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 24th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Mine is really super simple: Get the baby out with both of us alive. Avoid csection if at all possible.

June 24th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Jodimarie's Avatar Proud mommy to Kaiden!
I would love to make one! but i dont even know where to begin and all the options that are really available :/ I feel so knew at all this! lol
TwinMamaS and summerbaby1 like this.
December 3rd 2014 !! Baby #2 due August 2015!!!

June 25th, 2013, 02:31 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never written one before, but after my fifth birth being in the hospital instead of at home I will be writing one this time, just in case. I know my midwife will guide me and help me when the time is right.

Y'all know at the top of my list will be YER NOT TAKIN' MY BABY! LOL! And to withhold vax.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"
June 25th, 2013, 04:23 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lol @ Brittanie! My plan is similar and never written down. Get the baby out, no c section please, try to do this epidural free if at all possible. I don't care what position I give birth in, I don't care if I can walk around or not, I don't care about anything other than getting baby out safely and avoiding a c-section. Oh and no episiotomy please. They do not heal better or faster than a tear IMO.
NCRG2010 and SweetiePeas like this.

Last edited by kara74; June 25th, 2013 at 04:33 AM.
June 25th, 2013, 06:10 AM
summerbaby1's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodimarie View Post
I would love to make one! but i dont even know where to begin and all the options that are really available :/ I feel so knew at all this! lol
I agree. This might be a good project for me in the upcoming months.
Jodimarie likes this.

June 25th, 2013, 06:25 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
My friend sent me this one and it is spot on what I want. Except I did say a binkoe could be put in the drawer just not given unless by me.

This is how we would like our labor/delivery to go under ideal circumstances. We realize things arise and this plan may not be followed exactly. Thank you for honoring our wishes.

Labor
I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
My husband is to be present at all times.
Plenty of time to labor as long as progress is being made.
Monitoring
FHR monitored by intermittent monitoring (or telemetry if possible); no internal monitors please.
Labor Augmentation/Induction
No augmentation of labor, such as pitocin or amniotomy, unless non-medical techniques are ineffective and approved by me or my husband.
Anesthesia
I do not want anesthesia offered during labor, though I would like it available if I specifically request it.
Please avoid use of urinary catheter unless anesthesia is used and my consent is given.
Cesarean
If cesarean becomes necessary I would like to be conscious, my husband would like to be present at all times and we would like for our baby to be nursed immediately.
Episiotomy
I would prefer to tear naturally rather than have an episiotomy. I would prefer the use of compresses, massage, coaching for slow birth of my baby’s head, and positioning stirrups to avoid the need for episiotomy unless absolutely required for our baby’s safety.
Delivery
We would like to avoid the use of forceps/vacuum extraction unless absolutely necessary.
I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby’s head when it crowns.
Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
I would like the cord to pulsate for at least 90 seconds before being cut.
I would like the opportunity to deliver the placenta naturally.
I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery. We ask that any evaluations be done while I am holding him.
After Delivery
After the birth, I wish to nurse my baby immediately.
If our baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany baby at all times.
We would like to delay eye ointment until I have finished nursing our baby.
Breastfeeding
Unless medically necessary, I wish to have no bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier. One can be placed in their bassinet for use at my discretion.

Above all, we ask for time; time to labor naturally, time to discuss and make important decisions, time to have an enjoyable and memorable birth. Thank you!
bundle2baby likes this.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
June 25th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Kelizah's Avatar Veteran
I have no clue where to begin.. i guess I should start researching labor and delivery but to be honest- it freaks me out a little still! maybe in a few more weeks I'll get my nerve up
ImVictorious likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 06:49 AM
LadybugBanana's Avatar Veteran
My Plan is to go in for my scheduled Csection and pray everything turns out nice and healthy
feythful, NCRG2010 and kara74 like this.
June 25th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kara74 yours sounds a lot like mine , lol. My hospital gives me a sheet to fill out and I will , but am well aware things do not go always go as planned. My main concern this time is keep me and my baby alive. I had a PPH after my DS and that was the scariest experience of my life! I love that my hospital now keeps baby in room with you at all times, unless something is really wrong. I feel so lucky to live so close to such an awesome birthing hospital.
kara74 likes this.
June 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Oriyan's Avatar Platinum Superdupermommy
I find birth plans useless in most hospital settings. You go in with all these things you don't want and do want, and you will spend most of the time arguing with the nurses or getting upset when things don't go your way. When you give birth, things change on a moments notice. It's nice to have an idea of what you want, but you really need to be flexible.

I wanted my son on my chest ASAP and delayed cord clamping, but you know what? When my water broke it was green and yellow -- not clear. They needed him to get suctioned as fast as possible for fear of meconium aspiration. I didn't want an epi, and while no one pushed one at me (I was being a "rock star" in back labor on pitocin), when my water broke and I was in severe back labor, I demanded it.

This time, I know what I want in my head-- no induction/IV unless I am having issues again -- no epi unless I ask -- delayed cord clamping -- immediate kangaroo care -- Lucas is to never leave me or my husbands view -- Natural taring (which i did the first time, probably will again!) -- and to leave the hospital as soon as medically cleared (which is usually within 18-24 hours).
LadybugBanana and kara74 like this.
DS2: Lucas "Luca"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IVF #1: October 2008
July 22, 2009: Johnathan Jarrett is born! 10:41 am, 7lbs, 12oz, 21.5 inches

FET #2: March 2013 (Medicated cycle)
November 25, 2013: Lucas Ryan is born! 8:46 pm, 8lbs, 8oz, 20 inches (No epidural!)
June 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
anybodyinthere's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would like a live baby. And I'd like to have it vaginally. If I can avoid pit this time, that'd be good.

There is one doctor in the practice who is very aggressive. She mentioned c-section almost as soon as she saw me which was ridiculous. When my doctor's shift started, she looked at the monitor strip and told the nurse that the other doctor was crazy...things looked fine.

I would consider possibly inducing to avoid that Dr. Especially since I'm due around Christmas. And I'm pretty anti induction so that is saying a lot.

June 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ditto. Keep us both alive. My kids come out in a second. Oh and make sure my epidural is waiting for me when I get there.
LadybugBanana and kara74 like this.
June 25th, 2013, 08:50 AM
kara74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm reading these birth plans and wondering, has anyone had the experience of nurses just wanting to take the baby from you after birth? Is sending baby to the nursery normal? Do nurses actually give babies formula and/or pacis without asking? I've given birth in 3 different hospitals. Not once did anyone even offer to take my babies to the nursery. Not once did they bring me formula or give it to my baby after knowing I was breast feeding. And not once did anyone give my baby a paci. They had pacis in a drawer only at one of the hospitals. The rest you had to bring your own paci.
Meggie26 and NCRG2010 like this.

June 25th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriyan View Post
I find birth plans useless in most hospital settings. You go in with all these things you don't want and do want, and you will spend most of the time arguing with the nurses or getting upset when things don't go your way. When you give birth, things change on a moments notice. It's nice to have an idea of what you want, but you really need to be flexible.

I wanted my son on my chest ASAP and delayed cord clamping, but you know what? When my water broke it was green and yellow -- not clear. They needed him to get suctioned as fast as possible for fear of meconium aspiration. I didn't want an epi, and while no one pushed one at me (I was being a "rock star" in back labor on pitocin), when my water broke and I was in severe back labor, I demanded it.

This time, I know what I want in my head-- no induction/IV unless I am having issues again -- no epi unless I ask -- delayed cord clamping -- immediate kangaroo care -- Lucas is to never leave me or my husbands view -- Natural taring (which i did the first time, probably will again!) -- and to leave the hospital as soon as medically cleared (which is usually within 18-24 hours).
the bolded part...that's why we have DOULAS! That way momma doesnt have to do anything but labor on, with dad's help (or whomever is there with momma) and doulas get to do all the dirty work
bundle2baby and bajars2531 like this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 25th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My hospital never gave me formula, or a Binkie, and they do not move the baby unless my husband is with them,. He has to walk the baby to the nursery and wait there while they bathe him dress him and bring him right back down.

Then the baby is mine 24/7 minus the hour when visitors are allowed in. Then the babies have to go back in the nursery.
June 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Here's mine, but I don't really need it. my midwife knows what i want, and the nurses know me and the hospital in general really supports natural birth, but i always put it on my file just 'in case"

Chelsea & Sam are preparing to have an unmedicated, vaginal birth and we prefer for our labor to progress as naturally as possible. However, we realize that birth offers many surprises. These are our preferences if everything is going smoothly. We are willing to work with everyone should the need for alternatives arise. Thank you!

During our Labor, we request…
• Continuous presence of family and labor support
• A peaceful environment in the birthing room, including time and freedom to labor as needed
• To be encouraged to eat and drink as necessary
• Use of the birthing tub, squat bar, birth ball, etc – as available
• Intermittent fetal monitoring via doptone or fetoscope
• Minimal vaginal exams
• Spontaneous bearing down with contractions during second stage

We prefer
• Natural pain management options – please do not offer pain medications, Chelsea will ask for them if she needs them
• To allow labor to progress naturally—we prefer to avoid labor augmentation techniques such as artificial rupture of membranes or the use of pitocin
• Natural progression of tearing—please support the perineum during second stage and encourage the slow, gentle birth of the head
• Delayed cord clamping and cutting – we prefer to wait until the cord stops pulsating to cut and clamp the cord. Sam wishes to do the cutting
• Dad to Catch Baby—If Sam wishes to in the moment, and there is no medical reason not to, Sam would prefer to catch the baby
• Chelsea would prefer a water birth, and if she is not in the tub at the time of pushing, she would like to be reminded to get in.
Postpartum/Baby Care
• Immediate skin-to-skin contact and option to establish breastfeeding prior to routine baby care
• Spontaneous delivery of placenta, encouraged with breastfeeding; no routine pitocin
• No eye ointment, vitamin K shot, or hepatitis B vaccination – if vitamin K is necessary, use oral only. This will be decided after the birth, if there is any significant cranial bruising.
• We plan to leave our baby boy intact – no circumcision or retraction of foreskin
• We wish to take our placenta home

Unexpected Events…
Cesarean
• Continuous presence of Sam
• Prefer spinal/epidural anesthesia
• Use a transverse, low cut and double-layered stitches at least – no staples
• Please lower the screen so Chelsea can see the birth of her baby
• Keep Chelsea’s hands free and allow her to reach down for the baby immediately.
• Option to take photographs and/or video
• Sam & Chelsea wish to have immediate physical contact with baby
• Baby to stay in operating room; breastfeeding as soon as possible

Premature or Sick Baby
• Kangaroo care and breastfeeding as soon as possible; use Chelsea’s breastmilk if tube or dropper feeding required
• If baby must be transferred to another hospital, please discharge Chelsea as soon as possible

Stillbirth/Newborn Death
• Please allow Sam & Chelsea to see and hold baby as often and for as long as desired
• We wish to obtain mementos such as photographs, locks of hair, footprints, etc
• We would like an autopsy performed
• Please offer spiritual and grief counseling. We are Catholic and wish to be our priest Fr. Michael Berner (St. Patrick’s Parish; Missouri Valley, IA) (712) 642-----
bundle2baby likes this.

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
Hospital water birth
June 25th, 2013, 09:24 AM
hugssandi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my baby a good forty-five minutes with me nursing after birth before they took her, and it took a long time to get her back after I asked. This was not the only time she was taken into the nursery, either. Maybe that's when the pediatrician was checking her out? I will also say that I could not move easily, because I was so swollen I had elephant testicles and a huge chunk of ice between me legs. My husband had been laid off a good while and got work, so she was born, and then he reported in. I was going it alone. Gosh there was a lot going on! LOL!

I don't know if they gave her any pacifiers or feedings or anything. I suspect she did get a shot or two. There are a couple of things I do bend on, because I have to: the Vitamin K shot and the antibiotic eye ointment. I'd really rather use colostrum for the latter, but your choices are more limited in the hospital.

I'm a Mary in a world of Marthas~Carol Barnier

I think you are too kind. Kind people give the people around them a hard time. You can't express yourself honestly, because you are worried about hurting other people's feelings, and that makes you miserable.~"Winter Sonata"

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search